Trying to find a PostgreSQL interface

From
Daniel Stolk
Date:
Hi,

I'm needing to access my PostgreSQL database from the web, or actually
the customers need to.  I was originally using C with the libpq library,
but I was wondering if there are some programs out there that would make
it easier and faster for me to set things up?  If there aren't, what
kind of interface would be best to use?  I was looking at PHP, but I'm
not sure it will be as powerful as C, but maybe it is powerful enough.

Thanks for any help, Daniel Stolk

Re: [INTERFACES] Trying to find a PostgreSQL interface

From
Mark Linvill
Date:
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Daniel Stolk wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm needing to access my PostgreSQL database from the web, or actually
>the customers need to.  I was originally using C with the libpq library,
>but I was wondering if there are some programs out there that would make
>it easier and faster for me to set things up?  If there aren't, what
>kind of interface would be best to use?  I was looking at PHP, but I'm
>not sure it will be as powerful as C, but maybe it is powerful enough.

IMHO, PHP is plenty powerful enough.  Development time is
fabulously quick.  The only possible issue might be execution speed.
Not that PHP is slow, but it can't beat a C CGI.

You'll want to think long and hard about the security implications of
using PHP though.  Well, actually this depends on who's doing the
development.  If you're letting the customers do it, it's a bigger
issue.

There are plenty of links to code snippets, etc. on the PHP web site.
www.php.net

I've been developing C/C++/PHP/PostgreSQL/Apache web interfaces for
about 2 years now.  I highly recommend PHP, as well as PostgreSQL.
:)
-Mark

Re: [INTERFACES] Trying to find a PostgreSQL interface

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:

You may also try Zope (http://www.zope.org)

> IMHO, PHP is plenty powerful enough.  Development time is
> fabulously quick.  The only possible issue might be execution speed.
> Not that PHP is slow, but it can't beat a C CGI.

AFAIK you can save the CGI startup costs as PHP is loaded as a module in
Apache. If it has persistent database connections (like Zope) then you
also
save the DB connection setup and so it can easyly beat C CGI on anything
but most compute-intensive tasks.

-----
Hannu

Re: [INTERFACES] Trying to find a PostgreSQL interface

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Mark Linvill wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Daniel Stolk wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm needing to access my PostgreSQL database from the web, or actually
> >the customers need to.  I was originally using C with the libpq library,
> >but I was wondering if there are some programs out there that would make
> >it easier and faster for me to set things up?  If there aren't, what
> >kind of interface would be best to use?  I was looking at PHP, but I'm
> >not sure it will be as powerful as C, but maybe it is powerful enough.
> >

> IMHO, PHP is plenty powerful enough.  Development time is
> fabulously quick.  The only possible issue might be execution speed.
> Not that PHP is slow, but it can't beat a C CGI.

Actually, if you load PHP "as recommended", which is as an Apache module
vs using it as a CGI, it is faster then a straight C CGI ... my
preference, personally, remains using Perl CGIs (more flexible then Perl,
faster development time then C, and, if you use mod_perl, about the same
speed of execution as PHP-module)...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] Trying to find a PostgreSQL interface

From
"Daren R. Sefcik"
Date:
> You may also try Zope (http://www.zope.org)

FYI..I have just recently gotten ColdFusion on Solaris
to work with the ODBC driver and PostgreSQL-6.5.1.
I am still playing with it a bit, but it seems to be
working well...if anybody else is interested in doing this
as well I would be happy to hear from you.

Daren

PS..Zope is cool..I was using it until we decided to go with
ColdFusion.

Date:
"Daren R. Sefcik" wrote:

> PS..Zope is cool..I was using it until we decided to go with
> ColdFusion.

BTW, what made you to switch ?

Hannu