ODBC

From
Peter Harvey
Date:
Hi,

I am the coordinator and lead developer of the unixODBC Project (
http://www.genix.net/unixODBC ). I visited here a few months ago with
the intention of getting the PostgreSQL ODBC driver to work in unixODBC.
I passed the effort on but it seems that it is not getting done so I am
back again with the intention of doing it over the next day or two.

I expect the changes to be minimal but they may affect a number fo files
so I would like to get cvs read/write access to the source instead of
doing diffs or whatever. NOTE: I do not plan on making any changes
affecting MS Windows users.

If this does not seem like a good idea to the people here then I will
start a code fork... a UNIX specific version of the driver.

Please advise...

Peter Harvey

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Byron Nikolaidis
Date:
Peter Harvey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am the coordinator and lead developer of the unixODBC Project (
> http://www.genix.net/unixODBC ). I visited here a few months ago with
> the intention of getting the PostgreSQL ODBC driver to work in unixODBC.
> I passed the effort on but it seems that it is not getting done so I am
> back again with the intention of doing it over the next day or two.
>
> I expect the changes to be minimal but they may affect a number fo files
> so I would like to get cvs read/write access to the source instead of
> doing diffs or whatever. NOTE: I do not plan on making any changes
> affecting MS Windows users.
>
> If this does not seem like a good idea to the people here then I will
> start a code fork... a UNIX specific version of the driver.
>
> Please advise...

I say go for it!  Since the driver was successfully modified to work with
both MS and IODBC, then it seems to me you shouldn't have to make a code
fork for this either.

Byron

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Peter Harvey

> I say go for it!  Since the driver was successfully modified to work with
> both MS and IODBC, then it seems to me you shouldn't have to make a code
> fork for this either.
>
> Byron

Byron,

Do you have a cvs server for this?

Peter Harvey

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Byron Nikolaidis
Date:
Peter Harvey wrote:

> > I say go for it!  Since the driver was successfully modified to work with
> > both MS and IODBC, then it seems to me you shouldn't have to make a code
> > fork for this either.
> >
> > Byron
>
> Byron,
>
> Do you have a cvs server for this?
>
> Peter Harvey

At hub.org, there is a cvs module for this.   Marc gave me a login there so I
could update it.   BUT, I don't think I have the latest updates in there.
The latest source is only available as a zip from the old insight website
(http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc).

Can you give me till this evening to put the latest updates in there?

Byron

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Peter Harvey
Date:
> At hub.org, there is a cvs module for this.   Marc gave me a login there so I
> could update it.   BUT, I don't think I have the latest updates in there.
> The latest source is only available as a zip from the old insight website
> (http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc).
>
> Can you give me till this evening to put the latest updates in there?

Byron,

That would be great. I will also need read/write access.

Please forward this info to me as-soon-as-you-can. I have a window of time to do
this work now and I am anxious to get on it.

Thanks Byron!

Peter Harvey

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> I am the coordinator and lead developer of the unixODBC Project (
> http://www.genix.net/unixODBC ). I visited here a few months ago with
> the intention of getting the PostgreSQL ODBC driver to work in unixODBC.
> I passed the effort on but it seems that it is not getting done so I am
> back again with the intention of doing it over the next day or two.
> > I say go for it!  Since the driver was successfully modified to work with
> > both MS and IODBC, then it seems to me you shouldn't have to make a code
> > fork for this either.

I'm not sure what UnixODBC is, but does it try to be
compatible/consistant with IODBC? Is it a successor, or replacement?
Can I use it on my ApplixWare installation, which already knows about
IODBC?  Just curious... Your url isn't available to me at the moment.

> Do you have a cvs server for this?

You can get read access to cvs using anonymous or using cvsup (much
preferred if you are going to be working over an extended time). Check
the web site or the CVS_FAQ for details, and ask questions on the
list.

I'm sure Byron and I would be happy to test any patches you might
have, or just send tarballs while you're sorting it out. Cary O'Brien
would probably be willing to participate also. Cary?

Regards.
                        - Tom

South Pasadena, California

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

Date:
Peter Harvey <pharvey@codebydesign.com> writes:
> I expect the changes to be minimal but they may affect a number fo files
> so I would like to get cvs read/write access to the source instead of
> doing diffs or whatever.

Read-only anonymous-CVS access is available, see the website for
details.  Write access is held a little more closely ;-).  Please submit
your patches as diffs to the pgsql-patches mailing list.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Byron Nikolaidis
Date:
Peter Harvey wrote:

> > At hub.org, there is a cvs module for this.   Marc gave me a login there so I
> > could update it.   BUT, I don't think I have the latest updates in there.
> > The latest source is only available as a zip from the old insight website
> > (http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc).
> >
> > Can you give me till this evening to put the latest updates in there?
> >

> Byron,
>
> That would be great. I will also need read/write access.

I think you need to talk to Marc Fournier about that.  He could give you the
details about a login and cvs and all that jazz.   I'm not sure what his email is.
It might be scrappy@hub.org but I'm not totally sure.

Byron

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Peter Harvey
Date:
Hey... please do not send posts AND email me as well.

Thanks.

Peter Harvey

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Peter Harvey
Date:
> Peter Harvey <pharvey@codebydesign.com> writes:
> > I expect the changes to be minimal but they may affect a number fo files
> > so I would like to get cvs read/write access to the source instead of
> > doing diffs or whatever.
>
> Read-only anonymous-CVS access is available, see the website for
> details.  Write access is held a little more closely ;-).  Please submit
> your patches as diffs to the pgsql-patches mailing list.

Ok. So how about this... I have the latest zip of the sources so I will make
all changes required and then send a zip back to someone here for testing,
acceptance and cvs update?

I do not have to have write access if you want to do this. I just want to
make sure that no one else is making changes to the source over the next day
or two.

Is this ok? Its actually easier for me. Who will accept the submission?

Peter Harvey

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Hey... please do not send posts AND email me as well.

Didn't know for sure that you were subscribed everywhere. procmail
works wonders.
                 - Thomas

Here is my configuration file:

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail      # You'd better make sure it exists
#DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

# First match without a "c" option determines exclusive action
# A match with "c" option ("carbon copy") continues matching downward

# filter out _all_ duplicate messages using 8k buffer
# this should stop cross-posted postgres messages

:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

# throw away _all_ digest mailings

:0
* ^Subject:.*digest
/dev/null

Hope this helps yourself or others on these mailing lists...

South Pasadena, California

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
"Cary O'Brien"
Date:
Hmm...

Time is limited, so I will try to be honest about how much
I can contribute.

But sure, I can try to test a new odbc driver w/ Applixware and
PostgreSQL.  I can easily test on glibc machines, but it is harder
for me to test on libc5 machines.  All are Intel architecture.

BTW, my current email address is cobrien@radix.net (the stinkers
at digex cancelled the shell accounts!).

-- cary
Cary O'Brien
cobrien@radix.net
http://www.radix.net/~cobrien

> > I am the coordinator and lead developer of the unixODBC Project (
> > http://www.genix.net/unixODBC ). I visited here a few months ago with
> > the intention of getting the PostgreSQL ODBC driver to work in unixODBC.
> > I passed the effort on but it seems that it is not getting done so I am
> > back again with the intention of doing it over the next day or two.
> > > I say go for it!  Since the driver was successfully modified to work with
> > > both MS and IODBC, then it seems to me you shouldn't have to make a code
> > > fork for this either.
>
> I'm not sure what UnixODBC is, but does it try to be
> compatible/consistant with IODBC? Is it a successor, or replacement?
> Can I use it on my ApplixWare installation, which already knows about
> IODBC?  Just curious... Your url isn't available to me at the moment.
>
> > Do you have a cvs server for this?
>
> You can get read access to cvs using anonymous or using cvsup (much
> preferred if you are going to be working over an extended time). Check
> the web site or the CVS_FAQ for details, and ask questions on the
> list.
>
> I'm sure Byron and I would be happy to test any patches you might
> have, or just send tarballs while you're sorting it out. Cary O'Brien
> would probably be willing to participate also. Cary?
>
> Regards.
>
>                          - Tom
>
> --
> Thomas Lockhart                lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu
> South Pasadena, California

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC

From
Peter Harvey

> Time is limited, so I will try to be honest about how much
> I can contribute.
>
> But sure, I can try to test a new odbc driver w/ Applixware and
> PostgreSQL.  I can easily test on glibc machines, but it is harder
> for me to test on libc5 machines.  All are Intel architecture.

Cary,

unixODBC Beta is out and it includes the changed (slightly) sources for PostgreSQL
ODBC driver. Please test it if you have the time.... perhaps Byron or Thomas will
also test it and then get it checked into cvs (I do not have write access)?

Thanks!

Peter