yet another postgresql interface

From
Aleksey Demakov
Date:
Hello,

I have written PostgreSQL interface for Guile, an implementation
of the Scheme programming language. I would like to make it
publicly available. Could it be included into PostgreSQL
distribution?

Thanks,
Aleksey

--
Aleksey Demakov
avd@gcom.ru

Re: [INTERFACES] yet another postgresql interface

From
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Date:
> I have written PostgreSQL interface for Guile, an implementation
> of the Scheme programming language. I would like to make it
> publicly available. Could it be included into PostgreSQL
> distribution?

You betcha! What is involved with the interface? Do you have it
integrated with configure and make, or would you like some help with
that? Do you have some description written up, and would you like some
help to get that integrated into the big doc set?

We can make a first-cut commit of the code, and then you could look at
the next development snapshot tar file to clean up and make it work...

Out of curiosity, how closely does your interface resemble one which
would support Lisp?

                         - Tom

Date:
"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

> You betcha! What is involved with the interface? Do you have it
> integrated with configure and make, or would you like some help with
> that? Do you have some description written up, and would you like some
> help to get that integrated into the big doc set?

I dubbed it pguile. Its version number is 0.1. There are many things to
do till it gets 1.0. Currently it contains only wrappers for libpq
functions (not for all of them, though). It would be great to develop
some higher level interface, but I don't have any idea what it should
be like. One of the reasons I wish to publish the thing is to get ideas
from people.

It is a separate package with its own configure. I believe some
other interfaces (JDBC, for instance) are too. I don't sure that
there is a need to integrate it with PostgreSQL's top-level configure.
As for documentation, I'm afraid I have nothing except README.

> We can make a first-cut commit of the code, and then you could look at
> the next development snapshot tar file to clean up and make it work...

So, how can I send my code? May I post it to you? I'm ignorant in
things like CVS...

> Out of curiosity, how closely does your interface resemble one which
> would support Lisp?

I don't know. What is it?

Aleksey

--

Date:
> I dubbed it pguile. Its version number is 0.1.
> It is a separate package with its own configure. I believe some
> other interfaces (JDBC, for instance) are too. I don't sure that
> there is a need to integrate it with PostgreSQL's top-level configure.

OK, we can put it in the interfaces directory but not hook it up to
configure and the makefile.

> As for documentation, I'm afraid I have nothing except README.

Which is a good start!

> So, how can I send my code? May I post it to you? I'm ignorant in
> things like CVS...

How large is your compressed tar file? If less than 0.5MB, just send it
to me. If larger than that, then please try posting it at

  ftp://postgresql.org/pub/.incoming/

and let me know it is there.

> > Out of curiosity, how closely does your interface resemble one which
> > would support Lisp?
> I don't know. What is it?

It has lots of parens, like Scheme/Guile :) afaik Scheme was an offshoot
of or reaction to Lisp, which is very heavy and full-featured, years
ago.

Date:
"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

> > > Out of curiosity, how closely does your interface resemble one which
> > > would support Lisp?
> > I don't know. What is it?
>
> It has lots of parens, like Scheme/Guile :) afaik Scheme was an offshoot
> of or reaction to Lisp, which is very heavy and full-featured, years
> ago.

I know what is Lisp. I merely haven't understood your original question
very well. I thought you were asking about some existing Lisp interface.
Sorry, it's my poor English.

My interface is written in C on the top of libpq using guile
specific features. Since libpq functions fit badly to Lisp/Scheme
style of programming, I'm going to write another, more Lispish,
set of functions. But still it will be only for guile.

Aleksey

--
Aleksey Demakov
avd@gcom.ru

Re: [INTERFACES] yet another postgresql interface

From
Sergio
Date:
Aleksey Demakov <avd@gcom.ru> el día 10 Jan 1999 14:31:15 +0600, escribió:

>"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
>
>> You betcha! What is involved with the interface? Do you have it
>> integrated with configure and make, or would you like some help with
>> that? Do you have some description written up, and would you like some
>> help to get that integrated into the big doc set?
>
>I dubbed it pguile.

what about libpqguile ?,
so we have libpq, libpq++, libpqguile, libpq*

IMO pguile is too generic.

regards,
Sergio

Date:
Sergio <ser@perio.unlp.edu.ar> writes:

> >I dubbed it pguile.
>
> what about libpqguile ?,
> so we have libpq, libpq++, libpqguile, libpq*
>
> IMO pguile is too generic.

Hmm... Probably, you are right. The name pguile is bad.
I'll change it to guile-pgsql. Most guile extensions are
called this way (guile-gtk, guile-tcltk, guile-hobbit).

--
Aleksey Demakov
avd@gcom.ru