Trivial doc fix in logicaldecoding.sgml

From
"Shulgin, Oleksandr"
Date:
Hi,

Please find attached a simple copy-paste fix for CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT syntax.

--
Alex
Attachment

Re: Trivial doc fix in logicaldecoding.sgml

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Shulgin, Oleksandr
<oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find attached a simple copy-paste fix for CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT
> syntax.

We should change also START_REPLICATION SLOT syntax document as follows?

-      <para><literal>START_REPLICATION SLOT
<replaceable>slot_name</replaceable> LOGICAL
<replaceable>options</replaceable></literal></para>
+      <para><literal>START_REPLICATION SLOT
<replaceable>slot_name</replaceable> LOGICAL
<replaceable>XXX/XXX</replaceable>

Date:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Shulgin, Oleksandr
<oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find attached a simple copy-paste fix for CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT
> syntax.

We should change also START_REPLICATION SLOT syntax document as follows?

-      <para><literal>START_REPLICATION SLOT
<replaceable>slot_name</replaceable> LOGICAL
<replaceable>options</replaceable></literal></para>
+      <para><literal>START_REPLICATION SLOT
<replaceable>slot_name</replaceable> LOGICAL
<replaceable>XXX/XXX</replaceable>
(<replaceable>options</replaceable>)</literal></para>

If a committer would thinks so, I don't object.  Though this one is rather a detail for which the reader is already referred to protocol-replication, while my fix was about a factual error.

--
Alex

Re: Trivial doc fix in logicaldecoding.sgml

From
Craig Ringer

On 28 January 2016 at 16:36, Shulgin, Oleksandr <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Shulgin, Oleksandr
<oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find attached a simple copy-paste fix for CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT
> syntax.

We should change also START_REPLICATION SLOT syntax document as follows?

-      <para><literal>START_REPLICATION SLOT
<replaceable>slot_name</replaceable> LOGICAL
<replaceable>options</replaceable></literal></para>
+      <para><literal>START_REPLICATION SLOT
<replaceable>slot_name</replaceable> LOGICAL
<replaceable>XXX/XXX</replaceable>
(<replaceable>options</replaceable>)</literal></para>

If a committer would thinks so, I don't object.  Though this one is rather a detail for which the reader is already referred to protocol-replication, while my fix was about a factual error.

I think it should be changed. I've already had people confused by this.

Either that or remove the synopsis entirely, changing it to

    START_REPLICATION SLOT ....

and linking to the protocol docs. Which might be better.

Date:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 28 January 2016 at 16:36, Shulgin, Oleksandr <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> We should change also START_REPLICATION SLOT syntax document as follows?
>>>
>>> -      <para><literal>START_REPLICATION SLOT
>>> <replaceable>slot_name</replaceable> LOGICAL
>>> <replaceable>options</replaceable></literal></para>
>>> +      <para><literal>START_REPLICATION SLOT
>>> <replaceable>slot_name</replaceable> LOGICAL
>>> <replaceable>XXX/XXX</replaceable>
>>> (<replaceable>options</replaceable>)</literal></para>
>>

>> If a committer would thinks so, I don't object.  Though this one is rather a detail for which the reader is already referred to protocol-replication, while my fix was about a factual error.
>>

> I think it should be changed. I've already had people confused by this.
>
> Either that or remove the synopsis entirely, changing it to
>
>     START_REPLICATION SLOT ....
>
> and linking to the protocol docs. Which might be better.

I think it still makes sense to keep the LOGICAL, but hide the rest of the details behind that ellipsis, so:

  START_REPLICATION SLOT slot_name LOGICAL ...

Updated patch attached.

--
Alex

Attachment

Re: Trivial doc fix in logicaldecoding.sgml

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Shulgin, Oleksandr
<oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 28 January 2016 at 16:36, Shulgin, Oleksandr
>> <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:

>>> If a committer would thinks so, I don't object.  Though this one is
>>> rather a detail for which the reader is already referred to
>>> protocol-replication, while my fix was about a factual error.
>>>

>> I think it should be changed. I've already had people confused by this.
>>
>> Either that or remove the synopsis entirely, changing it to
>>
>>     START_REPLICATION SLOT ....
>>
>> and linking to the protocol docs. Which might be better.
>
> I think it still makes sense to keep the LOGICAL, but hide the rest of the
> details behind that ellipsis, so:
>
>   START_REPLICATION SLOT slot_name LOGICAL ...
>
> Updated patch attached.

Okay, pushed. Thanks!

Fujii Masao