Review: check existency of table for -t option (pg_dump) when pattern...

From
Teodor Sigaev
Date:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/6/201/

Patch looks good and is helpful in some usecases. I found and fix some typo (new
version in attach), but patch shows some inconsistent output:
% pg_dump -t 'aaa*'  postgres
pg_dump: No matching tables were found
% pg_dump -t 'aaa*' --strict-names postgres
pg_dump: Table "aaa*" not found.

In second case error message is obviously worse.
                                                    WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Attachment

Re: Review: check existency of table for -t option (pg_dump) when pattern...

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/6/201/

Patch looks good and is helpful in some usecases. I found and fix some typo (new version in attach), but patch shows some inconsistent output:
% pg_dump -t 'aaa*'  postgres
pg_dump: No matching tables were found
% pg_dump -t 'aaa*' --strict-names postgres
pg_dump: Table "aaa*" not found.

In second case error message is obviously worse.

There are two different situation - first message says "there are not any table for work", second says "There are not specific table(s) with specific names (mask)". I am thinking so this information is enough interesting for showing.

Can be changed to "No matching table(s) were found for filter "aaa*" " ?

Regards

Pavel

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teodor@sigaev.ru
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Date:
>     (new version in attach), but patch shows some inconsistent output:
>     % pg_dump -t 'aaa*'  postgres
>     pg_dump: No matching tables were found
>     % pg_dump -t 'aaa*' --strict-names postgres
>     pg_dump: Table "aaa*" not found.

> There are two different situation - first message says "there are not any table
> for work", second says "There are not specific table(s) with specific names
> (mask)". I am thinking so this information is enough interesting for showing.
Agree, but "aaa*" is not a table

> Can be changed to "No matching table(s) were found for filter "aaa*" " ?

"TBL" is not a filter. May be:

No matching table(s) were found for pattern "aaa*" ?
No matching table(s) were found for pattern "TBL" ?

  WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Re: Review: check existency of table for -t option (pg_dump) when pattern...

From
Pavel Stehule

    (new version in attach), but patch shows some inconsistent output:
    % pg_dump -t 'aaa*'  postgres
    pg_dump: No matching tables were found
    % pg_dump -t 'aaa*' --strict-names postgres
    pg_dump: Table "aaa*" not found.

There are two different situation - first message says "there are not any table
for work", second says "There are not specific table(s) with specific names
(mask)". I am thinking so this information is enough interesting for showing.
Agree, but "aaa*" is not a table

Can be changed to "No matching table(s) were found for filter "aaa*" " ?

"TBL" is not a filter. May be:

No matching table(s) were found for pattern "aaa*" ?
No matching table(s) were found for pattern "TBL" ?

+1

it is better

Pavel