Conflict between REL9_4_STABLE and master branch.

From
Uriy Zhuravlev
Date:
Hello hackers.

I found a strange thing. I hope it's not on purpose.

Example:
git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
cd postgresql
git checkout -b remotes/origin/REL9_4_STABLE
git merge master
MANY CONFLICTS

Why?

Thanks.
--
Uriy Zhuravlev
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: Conflict between REL9_4_STABLE and master branch.

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Uriy Zhuravlev
<u.zhuravlev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> Hello hackers.
>
> I found a strange thing. I hope it's not on purpose.
>
> Example:
> git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
> cd postgresql
> git checkout -b remotes/origin/REL9_4_STABLE

This is an awfully strange thing to do.  git checkout -b creates a new
branch.  Why would you create a new branch with the name
remotes/origin/EDBAS9_4_STABLE?  I would just do "git checkout
REL9_4_STABLE" if that's what you want to do.

> git merge master
> MANY CONFLICTS

Well, the stuff we back-patch is going to conflict if it's been
adjusted at all.  I think trying to do this is a bad idea.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Conflict between REL9_4_STABLE and master branch.

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
I found a strange thing. I hope it's not on purpose.

Example:
git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
cd postgresql
git checkout -b remotes/origin/REL9_4_STABLE
git merge master
MANY CONFLICTS

​It is intentional: t
he release branches operate exclusively in parallel to master and each other.​  While any two share a common ancestor they are never intended to be joined again in the future.  cherry-picking w/ tweaks is used to apply fixes made against master to the back-branches, if applicable.  Not being an actual code -hacker on this project I am lacking on specifics and maybe over-simplifying.

Think of this as a "multi-master" repository.

David J.