Re: Conflict between REL9_4_STABLE and master branch. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Conflict between REL9_4_STABLE and master branch.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Uriy Zhuravlev <u.zhuravlev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Hello hackers.

I found a strange thing. I hope it's not on purpose.

Example:
git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
cd postgresql
git checkout -b remotes/origin/REL9_4_STABLE
git merge master
MANY CONFLICTS

​It is intentional: t
he release branches operate exclusively in parallel to master and each other.​  While any two share a common ancestor they are never intended to be joined again in the future.  cherry-picking w/ tweaks is used to apply fixes made against master to the back-branches, if applicable.  Not being an actual code -hacker on this project I am lacking on specifics and maybe over-simplifying.

Think of this as a "multi-master" repository.

David J.