Tab completion for TABLESAMPLE

From
Petr Jelinek
Date:
Hi,

looks like I omitted psql tab completion from the TABLESAMPLE patch. The
attached patch adds it.

Re: Tab completion for TABLESAMPLE

From
Brendan Jurd
Date:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 at 20:44 Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
looks like I omitted psql tab completion from the TABLESAMPLE patch. The
attached patch adds it.

Hi Petr,

I'm doing an initial review of this patch.

It applies and compiles cleanly.  Code style is consistent with its surroundings.

With the patch applied, psql correctly offers a list of existing tablesample methods for completion whenever the previous word is 'TABLESAMPLE'.  I did notice that the syntax of the TABLESAMPLE clause requires brackets after the method name, but the tab completion does not complete the opening bracket.  Whereas, say, ALTER FUNCTION does.  I think it would be convenient and user-friendly to complete the opening bracket -- it would make it perfectly clear that an argument is required for the syntax to be valid.

Otherwise, no issues with the patch.

Cheers,
BJ

Date:
On 2015-06-19 09:08, Brendan Jurd wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 at 20:44 Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com
> <mailto:petr@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>
>     looks like I omitted psql tab completion from the TABLESAMPLE patch. The
>     attached patch adds it.
>

> Hi Petr,
>
> I'm doing an initial review of this patch.

Thanks

> With the patch applied, psql correctly offers a list of existing
> tablesample methods for completion whenever the previous word is
> 'TABLESAMPLE'.  I did notice that the syntax of the TABLESAMPLE clause
> requires brackets after the method name, but the tab completion does not
> complete the opening bracket.  Whereas, say, ALTER FUNCTION does.  I
> think it would be convenient and user-friendly to complete the opening
> bracket -- it would make it perfectly clear that an argument is required
> for the syntax to be valid.

Agreed, here is updated version which does that.

Date:
On 2015-06-19 09:08, Brendan Jurd wrote:
> think it would be convenient and user-friendly to complete the opening
> bracket -- it would make it perfectly clear that an argument is required
> for the syntax to be valid.

Agreed, here is updated version which does that.

Thanks Petr, I have tested your v2 and it works well.  This is ready for committer.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Tab completion for TABLESAMPLE

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 at 21:05 Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2015-06-19 09:08, Brendan Jurd wrote:
>> > think it would be convenient and user-friendly to complete the opening
>> > bracket -- it would make it perfectly clear that an argument is required
>> > for the syntax to be valid.
>> >

>> Agreed, here is updated version which does that.
>

> Thanks Petr, I have tested your v2 and it works well.  This is ready for
> committer.

Committed, thanks.

--
Robert Haas