Amazon Redshift

From
"philip taylor"
Date:
someof the functions offered by Amazon
Redshiftis completely based on PostgreSQL, but they have implemented some features not currently available in
PostgreSQL.<br/> Given the fact that it's a successful customer-driven commercial project, one can easily guess that

Re: Amazon Redshift

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
philip taylor <philtay51@mail.com> wrote:

> do you think we should implement some of the functions offered by
> Amazon Redshift?
>
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/c_SQL_functions.html

Well, obviously we already have many of the functions linked from
that page.  I think that if you want to go through them and pick
out a few that you think are particularly promising it could start
a useful discussion.  Pointing at a page that includes such things
as CURRENT_DATE, the avg() aggregate, and the lead() window
function is just going to waste the time of everyone who follows
the link.  It's not like all of them would be committed in the same
patch anyway.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Amazon Redshift

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On 11/5/14, 3:42 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> philip taylor <philtay51@mail.com> wrote:
>
>> do you think we should implement some of the functions offered by
>> Amazon Redshift?
>>
>> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/c_SQL_functions.html
>
> Well, obviously we already have many of the functions linked from
> that page.  I think that if you want to go through them and pick
> out a few that you think are particularly promising it could start
> a useful discussion.  Pointing at a page that includes such things
> as CURRENT_DATE, the avg() aggregate, and the lead() window
> function is just going to waste the time of everyone who follows
> the link.  It's not like all of them would be committed in the same
> patch anyway.

At the risk stating the obvious, before we look at implementing them we should see if Amazon would donate that effort.

But as Kevin said, first step is discussion on what we don't have and whether we want it.

Re: Amazon Redshift

From
"philip taylor"
Date:
>>> do you think we should implement some of the functions offered by
>>> Amazon Redshift?
>>>
>>> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/c_SQL_functions.html
>>
>> Well, obviously we already have many of the functions linked from
>> that page. I think that if you want to go through them and pick
>> out a few that you think are particularly promising it could start
>> a useful discussion. Pointing at a page that includes such things
>> as CURRENT_DATE, the avg() aggregate, and the lead() window
>> function is just going to waste the time of everyone who follows
>> the link. It's not like all of them would be committed in the same
>> patch anyway.
>
> At the risk stating the obvious, before we look at implementing them we should see if Amazon would donate that
effort.

> But as Kevin said, first step is discussion on what we don't have and whether we want it.

Ok, this is a summary of what they have that we don't (of course, I could have missed something):

Date Functions

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_ADD_MONTHS.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_DATEADD_function.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_DATEDIFF_function.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_LAST_DAY.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_MONTHS_BETWEEN_function.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_NEXT_DAY.html

String Functions

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/REGEXP_COUNT.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/REGEXP_INSTR.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_STRTOL.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/crc32-function.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/FUNC_SHA1.html

JSON Functions

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/JSON_ARRAY_LENGTH.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/JSON_EXTRACT_ARRAY_ELEMENT_TEXT.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/JSON_EXTRACT_PATH_TEXT.html

Window functions

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_WF_RATIO_TO_REPORT.html
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_WF_MEDIAN.html

Re: Amazon Redshift

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 11/05/2014 02:36 PM, philip taylor wrote:

> Ok, this is a summary of what they have that we don't (of course, I could have missed something):

I can't see any functions on that list I'd want.

For example, DATEADD is there just to be compatible with MSSQL. It's
useless to us.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Amazon Redshift

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM, philip taylor <philtay51@mail.com> wrote:

> JSON Functions
>
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/JSON_ARRAY_LENGTH.html
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/JSON_EXTRACT_PATH_TEXT.html

We actually have the two above:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-json.html
Actually, if you look at the examples you will see they only copy ours
and changed the values a little.

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación

Re: Amazon Redshift

From
Andrea Suisani
Date:
On 11/05/2014 11:36 PM, philip taylor wrote:> String Functions>>
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/FUNC_SHA1.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/pgcrypto.html

(not really a string function imho)

Re: Amazon Redshift