The PostgreSQL License requires "LICENSE" file?

From
Tomonari Katsumata
Date:
Hi,

PostgreSQL is released under "the PostgreSQL License".

I've checked the PostgreSQL License,
and had a question.

It seems that the license requres a "LICENSE" file
in the target product
[quote]
> Then put the license into a file called "LICENSE" in
> your software distribution.

But I couldn't find "LICENSE" file in current PostgreSQL source tree,
instead found a "COPYRIGHT" file.

It seems the contents of the "COPYRIGTH" file are all required by the license.
So I have confused why PostgreSQL has a "COPYRIGHT" file instead of "LICENSE".
Anybody knows the reason?
And is this non problem thing?

regards,
-----------------
Tomonari Katsumata

Re: The PostgreSQL License requires "LICENSE" file?

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Tomonari Katsumata
<t.katsumata1122@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PostgreSQL is released under "the PostgreSQL License".
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/
>
> I've checked the PostgreSQL License,
> and had a question.
> http://opensource.org/licenses/PostgreSQL
>
> It seems that the license requres a "LICENSE" file
> in the target product
> [quote]
>> Then put the license into a file called "LICENSE" in
>> your software distribution.
>
> But I couldn't find "LICENSE" file in current PostgreSQL source tree,
> instead found a "COPYRIGHT" file.
>
> It seems the contents of the "COPYRIGTH" file are all required by the
> license.
> So I have confused why PostgreSQL has a "COPYRIGHT" file instead of
> "LICENSE".
> Anybody knows the reason?
> And is this non problem thing?

I don't think it matters very much what the file is called, as long as
it's in a file that can be found easily by people who want to know
what the license is.  I imagine that either LICENSE or COPYRIGHT would
suffice for that purpose.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: The PostgreSQL License requires "LICENSE" file?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 09/03/2013 11:16 AM, Tomonari Katsumata wrote:
> It seems the contents of the "COPYRIGTH" file are all required by the
> license.
> So I have confused why PostgreSQL has a "COPYRIGHT" file instead of
> "LICENSE".
> Anybody knows the reason?
> And is this non problem thing?

The first paragraph on the OSI page isn't part of the licences, but
rather is general advice by OSI.

I'm not clear on why they specified a particular filename, since they
don't do that for other licenses; I'll ask.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: The PostgreSQL License requires "LICENSE" file?

Date:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Tomonari Katsumata
> <t.katsumata1122@gmail.com> wrote:
>> PostgreSQL is released under "the PostgreSQL License".
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/

The actual license terms can be found in the COPYRIGHT file in our
distribution.  There is nothing in there mentioning a LICENSE file.

>> I've checked the PostgreSQL License,
>> and had a question.
>> http://opensource.org/licenses/PostgreSQL

I don't know who opensource.org are, but their idea of "the PostgreSQL
license" doesn't appear to match the actual license text.

The real question here is why our website is linking to theirs.  Surely
we should not be setting things up in such a way that people might think
that opensource.org defines the authoritative version of the text.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
>>> I've checked the PostgreSQL License,
>>> and had a question.
>>> http://opensource.org/licenses/PostgreSQL
>
> I don't know who opensource.org are, but their idea of "the PostgreSQL
> license" doesn't appear to match the actual license text.

The OSI, which is the organization which defines whether licenses are
open source or not.  We requested that they list The PostgreSQL License
on their site after Red Hat determined that our license had sufficent
textual differences from the BSD License to be a different license.

I've requested that the spurious "file name" reference be removed.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: The PostgreSQL License requires "LICENSE" file?

From
Tomonari Katsumata
Date:
(2013/09/04 2:34), Josh Berkus wrote:>>>>> I've checked the PostgreSQL License,>>>> and had a question.>>>>
http://opensource.org/licenses/PostgreSQL>>>>I don't know who opensource.org are, but their idea of "the PostgreSQL>>
license"doesn't appear to match the actual license text.>> The OSI, which is the organization which defines whether
licensesare> open source or not.  We requested that they list The PostgreSQL License> on their site after Red Hat
determinedthat our license had sufficent> textual differences from the BSD License to be a different license.>> I've
requestedthat the spurious "file name" reference be removed.>

Thank you for checking it soon.

I understands that "the PostgreSQL license" does not require
any specified file name and missing "LICENSE" is not problem.

I'm Sorry for the stupid question.

regards,
------------

Date:
On 09/03/2013 11:20 PM, Tomonari Katsumata wrote:
> I understands that "the PostgreSQL license" does not require
> any specified file name and missing "LICENSE" is not problem.
>
> I'm Sorry for the stupid question.

No, thank *you* for pointing it out!  None of us had actually looked at
that page.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.