Problem building in a directory shared from Mac to Ubuntu

From
Ashutosh Bapat
Date:
Hi,
I am observing a strange problem when I build latest PostgreSQL head on Ubuntu 12.04. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 as VM on Mac 10.7. The build directory points to a sub-directory of host directory shared from Mac to Ubuntu 12.04. The source is also located in a sub-directory of the shared directory.

postmaster builds without any error, but all the binaries in src/bin fail to link with error "undefined reference to `pthread_sigmask'". If I add -pthread to the link command the binaries link without error.

If I build it on a directory local to VM and also place my source in a directory local to VM, the build goes fine.

Is this a known issue? What's the cure?
--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Re: Problem building in a directory shared from Mac to Ubuntu

From
Ashutosh Bapat
Date:
Sorry, forgot to attach the config.log and output of make (a clean make). here it is

[...]

Attachment

Re: Problem building in a directory shared from Mac to Ubuntu

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 06/25/2013 01:14 PM, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> Hi,
> I am observing a strange problem when I build latest PostgreSQL head on
> Ubuntu 12.04. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 as VM on Mac 10.7. The build
> directory points to a sub-directory of host directory shared from Mac to
> Ubuntu 12.04.

"shared" how?

AFP?

SMB/CIFS? With mount.cifs?

Using NFS?

In general I'd recommend using a local directory for builds. Most
network file protocols have ... interesting ... behaviour when it comes
to file locking, timestamps, etc.

Why are you using this approach rather than just having local build trees?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 06/25/2013 01:14 PM, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> Hi,
> I am observing a strange problem when I build latest PostgreSQL head on
> Ubuntu 12.04. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 as VM on Mac 10.7. The build
> directory points to a sub-directory of host directory shared from Mac to
> Ubuntu 12.04.

"shared" how?

You can share the directories between Host and VM using VMware Fusion. There is no network involved.

AFP?

SMB/CIFS? With mount.cifs?

Using NFS?

In general I'd recommend using a local directory for builds. Most
network file protocols have ... interesting ... behaviour when it comes
to file locking, timestamps, etc.

Why are you using this approach rather than just having local build trees?

So that, 1. I can use the data between VM and host seemlessly (the binaries will be useless, I agree, but the source code will be useful) 2. I can share the same directory across more than one VM (binaries will be useful in case two VMs are same). Like building source once and using it on multiple VMs. 3. if VM crashes, the host will have the data in-tact.

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/