Re: Minor inheritance/check bug: Inconsistent behavior

From
Amit kapila

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:50:05 -0400 Robert Hass wrote:

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:
>>   AFAICT during Update also, it doesn't contain useful. The only chance it
>> would have contain something useful is when it goes for EvalPlanQual and
>> then again comes to check for constraints. However these attributes get
>> filled in heap_update much later.
>
>> So now should the fix be that it returns an error for system column
>> reference except for OID case?

> +1.

1. I think in this scenario the error for system column except for tableOID should be thrown at Create/Alter time.

2. After setting OID in ExecInsert/ExecUpdate may be setting of same inside heap functions can be removed.

   But for now I have kept them as it is.

Please find the Patch for bug-fix.

If this is okay, I shall send you the test cases for same.

With Regards,

Amit Kapila.

Attachment

FW: Minor inheritance/check bug: Inconsistent behavior

From
Amit kapila
Date:
Sorry, earlier sent below mail on hackers instead of bugs list. Just forwarding the same here.

Date:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 02:04:51PM +0000, Amit kapila wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:50:05 -0400 Robert Hass wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)
> com> wrote:
> >>   AFAICT during Update also, it doesn't contain useful. The only chance it
> >> would have contain something useful is when it goes for EvalPlanQual and
> >> then again comes to check for constraints. However these attributes get
> >> filled in heap_update much later.
> >
> >> So now should the fix be that it returns an error for system column
> >> reference except for OID case?
>
> > +1.
>

> 1. I think in this scenario the error for system column except for tableOID
> should be thrown at Create/Alter time.
>
> 2. After setting OID in ExecInsert/ExecUpdate may be setting of same inside
> heap functions can be removed.
>
>    But for now I have kept them as it is.
>

> Please find the Patch for bug-fix.
>
> If this is okay, I shall send you the test cases for same.

Did we ever make any progress on this?

http://enterprisedb.com

Date:
On Friday, January 25, 2013 8:36 PM Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 02:04:51PM +0000, Amit kapila wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:50:05 -0400 Robert Hass wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Amit Kapila
> <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)
> chance it
> EvalPlanQual and
> attributes get

> column
> >
> > > +1.
> >

> > 1. I think in this scenario the error for system column except for
> tableOID
> > should be thrown at Create/Alter time.
> >
> > 2. After setting OID in ExecInsert/ExecUpdate may be setting of same
> inside
> > heap functions can be removed.
> >
> >    But for now I have kept them as it is.
> >

> > Please find the Patch for bug-fix.
> >
> > If this is okay, I shall send you the test cases for same.
>
> Did we ever make any progress on this?

I have done the initial analysis and prepared a patch, don't know if
anything more I can do until
someone can give any suggestions to further proceed on this bug.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Minor inheritance/check bug: Inconsistent behavior

From
'Bruce Momjian'
Date:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:31:49AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Friday, January 25, 2013 8:36 PM Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 02:04:51PM +0000, Amit kapila wrote:
> > > On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:50:05 -0400 Robert Hass wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Amit Kapila
> > <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)
> > chance it
> > EvalPlanQual and
> > attributes get

> > column

> > > 1. I think in this scenario the error for system column except for
> > tableOID
> > > should be thrown at Create/Alter time.
> > >
> > > 2. After setting OID in ExecInsert/ExecUpdate may be setting of same
> > inside
> > > heap functions can be removed.
> > >
> > >    But for now I have kept them as it is.
> > >

> > > Please find the Patch for bug-fix.
> > >
> > > If this is okay, I shall send you the test cases for same.
> >
> > Did we ever make any progress on this?
>
> I have done the initial analysis and prepared a patch, don't know if
> anything more I can do until
> someone can give any suggestions to further proceed on this bug.

So, I guess we never figured this out.

http://enterprisedb.com

Date:
On Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:58 AM Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:31:49AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Friday, January 25, 2013 8:36 PM Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 02:04:51PM +0000, Amit kapila wrote:
> > > On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:50:05 -0400 Robert Hass wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Amit Kapila
> > <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)
> > chance it
> > EvalPlanQual and
> > attributes get

> > column

> > tableOID

> > inside

> >> Did we ever make any progress on this?
>
>> I have done the initial analysis and prepared a patch, don't know if
>> anything more I can do until
>> someone can give any suggestions to further proceed on this bug.

>So, I guess we never figured this out.

I can submit this bug-fix for next commitfest if there is no objection for doing so.
What is your opinion?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Date:
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 06:57:10AM +0000, Amit kapila wrote:
> >> I have done the initial analysis and prepared a patch, don't know if
> >> anything more I can do until
> >> someone can give any suggestions to further proceed on this bug.
>
> >So, I guess we never figured this out.
>
> I can submit this bug-fix for next commitfest if there is no objection for doing so.
> What is your opinion?

Yes, good idea.

http://enterprisedb.com