git author vs committer

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
A while ago I wanted to cherry-pick a patch from master to a back-branch
that was initially committed by someone else.  That was rejected because
our git server requires author==committer.  I don't think that
restriction is particularly useful and should be lifted.  I'm not saying
we should let anyone be an author, but within the pool of committers, I
think we should let the mechanics of the git tools determine these
fields.

Re: git author vs committer

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of mié sep 12 11:21:36 -0300 2012:
> A while ago I wanted to cherry-pick a patch from master to a back-branch
> that was initially committed by someone else.  That was rejected because
> our git server requires author==committer.  I don't think that
> restriction is particularly useful and should be lifted.  I'm not saying
> we should let anyone be an author, but within the pool of committers, I
> think we should let the mechanics of the git tools determine these
> fields.

+1.  I had the same problem.

Re: git author vs committer

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> A while ago I wanted to cherry-pick a patch from master to a back-branch
> that was initially committed by someone else.  That was rejected because
> our git server requires author==committer.  I don't think that
> restriction is particularly useful and should be lifted.  I'm not saying
> we should let anyone be an author, but within the pool of committers, I
> think we should let the mechanics of the git tools determine these
> fields.

Just to be clear, what you're saying is we want to change the policy
that says "committer must be on list of approved committers &&
commiter==author" to "committer must be on list of approved committers
&& author must be on list of approved committers"?

Assuming that's what you meant, there is no support for that in the
scripts now, but if we agree that's a good thing it should be trivial
to add it.

Re: git author vs committer

Date:
> Just to be clear, what you're saying is we want to change the policy
> that says "committer must be on list of approved committers &&
> commiter==author" to "committer must be on list of approved committers
> && author must be on list of approved committers"?

Works for me.
        regards, tom lane

Re: git author vs committer

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 19:13 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Just to be clear, what you're saying is we want to change the policy
> that says "committer must be on list of approved committers &&
> commiter==author" to "committer must be on list of approved committers
> && author must be on list of approved committers"?

Yes, that would be my request.

Re: git author vs committer

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 5:22 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 19:13 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Just to be clear, what you're saying is we want to change the policy
>> that says "committer must be on list of approved committers &&
>> commiter==author" to "committer must be on list of approved committers
>> && author must be on list of approved committers"?
>
> Yes, that would be my request.

Definitely sounds like a reasonable thing to do. So unless there are
objections, I'll try to get around to getting that done not too long
from now.

Re: git author vs committer

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 5:22 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 19:13 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Just to be clear, what you're saying is we want to change the policy
>>> that says "committer must be on list of approved committers &&
>>> commiter==author" to "committer must be on list of approved committers
>>> && author must be on list of approved committers"?
>>
>> Yes, that would be my request.
>
> Definitely sounds like a reasonable thing to do. So unless there are
> objections, I'll try to get around to getting that done not too long
> from now.

Sorry, this took much longer than I had initially planned for, but at
least it's been done now.  Hopefully I didn't break anything else in
the process :)

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/