Re: git author vs committer - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: git author vs committer
Date
Re: git author vs committer  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> A while ago I wanted to cherry-pick a patch from master to a back-branch
> that was initially committed by someone else.  That was rejected because
> our git server requires author==committer.  I don't think that
> restriction is particularly useful and should be lifted.  I'm not saying
> we should let anyone be an author, but within the pool of committers, I
> think we should let the mechanics of the git tools determine these
> fields.

Just to be clear, what you're saying is we want to change the policy
that says "committer must be on list of approved committers &&
commiter==author" to "committer must be on list of approved committers
&& author must be on list of approved committers"?

Assuming that's what you meant, there is no support for that in the
scripts now, but if we agree that's a good thing it should be trivial
to add it.