Doc typo: lexems -> lexemes

From
Dan Scott
Date:
I ran across a minor typo while reviewing the full-text search
documentation. Attached is a patch to address the one usage of "lexems"
in a sea of "lexemes".

Attachment

Re: Doc typo: lexems -> lexemes

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Dan Scott  wrote:
> I ran across a minor typo while reviewing the full-text search
> documentation. Attached is a patch to address the one usage of
> "lexems" in a sea of "lexemes".
Applied to HEAD.
-Kevin

Re: Doc typo: lexems -> lexemes

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
 wrote:<br/> > > I ran across a minor typo while reviewing the full-text search<br /> > > documentation.

Re: Doc typo: lexems -> lexemes

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Magnus Hagander  wrote:
> "Kevin Grittner"  wrote:
> Dan Scott wrote:
>>> I ran across a minor typo while reviewing the full-text search
>>> documentation. Attached is a patch to address the one usage of
>>> "lexems" in a sea of "lexemes".
>>
>> Applied to HEAD.
>>
> No back patch? Seems like a bugfix to me...
I thought that "minor" changes to the docs were not back-patched.
Did I misunderstand that or is there an exception for spelling
corrections?  I'm happy to follow any policy we have, but I guess I'm
not clear enough what that is.
-Kevin

Re: Doc typo: lexems -> lexemes

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
acrossa minor typo while reviewing the full-text search<br /> > >>> documentation. Attached is a patch to
thoughtthat "minor" changes to the docs were not back-patched.<br /> > Did I misunderstand that or is there an
exceptionfor spelling<br /> > corrections?  I'm happy to follow any policy we have, but I guess I'm<br /> > not
clearenough what that is.<br /><p dir="ltr">I don't think there is a well covering policy. I'd treat it like a user
facingmessage in the code, for example. Would you back patch the same thing if it was in an ereport? If so, I'd back
patchit in the docs. It's docs that people are going to be referring to for years to come.. And the effort is close to
zeroto back patch it. If it was more complex, I'd think twice about it. <p dir="ltr">/Magnus

Re: Doc typo: lexems -> lexemes

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Magnus Hagander  wrote:
"Kevin Grittner"  wrote:
> I'd back patch it in the docs. It's docs that people are going to
> be referring to for years to come.. And the effort is close to zero
> to back patch it. If it was more complex, I'd think twice about it.
OK, done.  Back-patched to 9.1 where the typo first appeared.
-Kevin

Re: Doc typo: lexems -> lexemes

Date:
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 02:23:50PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2012 2:00 PM, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> >
> > Magnus Hagander  wrote:

> > > No back patch? Seems like a bugfix to me...
> >
> > I thought that "minor" changes to the docs were not back-patched.
> > Did I misunderstand that or is there an exception for spelling
> > corrections?  I'm happy to follow any policy we have, but I guess I'm
> > not clear enough what that is.
>
> I don't think there is a well covering policy. I'd treat it like a user facing
> message in the code, for example. Would you back patch the same thing if it was
> in an ereport? If so, I'd back patch it in the docs. It's docs that people are
> going to be referring to for years to come.. And the effort is close to zero to
> back patch it. If it was more complex, I'd think twice about it.

Magnus, are you saying we don't backpatch wording improvements, but we
do backpatch spelling corrections?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Doc typo: lexems -> lexemes

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 10:00 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Magnus, are you saying we don't backpatch wording improvements, but we
> do backpatch spelling corrections?

You could argue that a spelling correction is a bug fix but a wording
improvement is a new feature.  (Unless the old wording is wildly
confusing or inaccurate.)

Re: Doc typo: lexems -> lexemes

Date:
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:06:15AM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 10:00 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Magnus, are you saying we don't backpatch wording improvements, but we
> > do backpatch spelling corrections?
>
> You could argue that a spelling correction is a bug fix but a wording
> improvement is a new feature.  (Unless the old wording is wildly
> confusing or inaccurate.)

OK, that's what I thought.  Just clarifying.

http://enterprisedb.com