pg_statistic, lack of documentation

From
Sergey Konoplev
Date:
Hi,

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/catalog-pg-statistic.html

It specifies that entries are created by ANALYZE, but does not mention
that if a table is empty the entry for it is not created. Probably it
is worth to add to the docs. The test case is below.

grayhemp@[local]:5432 test=#create table t1 (i integer);CREATE
TABLEgrayhemp@[local]:5432 test=#select stanullfrac, stawidth from
pg_statistic where starelid = 't1'::regclass; stanullfrac | stawidth
-------------+----------(0 rows)
grayhemp@[local]:5432 test=#analyze t1;ANALYZEgrayhemp@[local]:5432
grayhemp@[local]:5432 test=#insert into t1 values (1);INSERT 0
1grayhemp@[local]:5432 test=#select stanullfrac, stawidth from
pg_statistic where starelid = 't1'::regclass; stanullfrac | stawidth
-------------+----------(0 rows)
grayhemp@[local]:5432 test=#analyze t1;ANALYZEgrayhemp@[local]:5432
test=#select stanullfrac, stawidth from pg_statistic where starelid =
't1'::regclass; stanullfrac | stawidth -------------+----------
   0 |        4(1 row)

--
Sergey Konoplev

Blog: http://gray-hemp.blogspot.com
LinkedIn: http://ru.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
JID/GTalk: gray.ru@gmail.com Skype: gray-hemp

Re: pg_statistic, lack of documentation

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/catalog-pg-statistic.html
>
> It specifies that entries are created by ANALYZE, but does not mention
> that if a table is empty the entry for it is not created.

The actual behavior, in somewhat more detail, is that the existing
statistics entries, if any, are retained.

I've added a note to that effect to the documentation for ANALYZE,
which seems like a more appropriate place than the pg_statistic
documentation.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've added a note to that effect to the documentation for ANALYZE,
> which seems like a more appropriate place than the pg_statistic
> documentation.

Thank you.