pgsphere

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
I've been asked by someone to support pgshpere.

It would appear that the two project owners are MIA. If anyone knows
different can they let me know ?

Does anyone have any objection to me taking over the project?

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

Re: pgsphere

From
Andrew Dunstan

On 01/06/2012 12:32 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> I've been asked by someone to support pgshpere.
>
> It would appear that the two project owners are MIA. If anyone knows
> different can they let me know ?
>
> Does anyone have any objection to me taking over the project?

One of the owners is Teodor, who is a core committer ... I hope he's not
MIA.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsphere

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Well I've sent Teodor a personal email asking him if he was interested
and so far no response, so I interpret that as he no longer has
interest in the project.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 01/06/2012 12:32 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
>>
>> I've been asked by someone to support pgshpere.
>>
>> It would appear that the two project owners are MIA. If anyone knows
>> different can they let me know ?
>>
>> Does anyone have any objection to me taking over the project?
>

> One of the owners is Teodor, who is a core committer ... I hope he's not
> MIA.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

Re: pgsphere

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On Saturday, January 07, 2012 04:43:43 PM Dave Cramer wrote:
> Well I've sent Teodor a personal email asking him if he was interested
> and so far no response, so I interpret that as he no longer has
> interest in the project.
I dimly remember him mentioning traveling/hiking planning to travel around the
Himalayas somewhere on -hackers.

Andres

Re: pgsphere

From
Jan Urbański
Date:
> On Saturday, January 07, 2012 04:43:43 PM Dave Cramer wrote:
> > Well I've sent Teodor a personal email asking him if he was interested
> > and so far no response, so I interpret that as he no longer has
> > interest in the project.
> I dimly remember him mentioning traveling/hiking planning to travel
> around the   Himalayas somewhere on -hackers.

That sounds more like Oleg :)

Jan

Re: pgsphere

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On Saturday, January 07, 2012 05:09:41 PM Jan Urbański wrote:
> [...]
Oh. Yes. I remembered Oleg writing that module... ;)

Andres

Re: pgsphere

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Dave,

The situation with pgshpere is so, that I think we need new developer,
since Janko keep silence :)  I wrote him several time, since I wanted
pgsphere now could benefit very much from our KNNGiST feature. This is
number one development from my point of view. I and Teodor have no
time to work on pgsphere, sorry. But, there are some astronomers I'm working
with, who can take part in this. Sergey Karpov has done extensive benchmarks
of q3c, rtree and pgsphere and found the latter still has some benefits
in some workload, so we are interesting in development.

Regards,
Oleg

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 01/06/2012 12:32 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> I've been asked by someone to support pgshpere.
>>
>> It would appear that the two project owners are MIA. If anyone knows
>> different can they let me know ?
>>
>> Does anyone have any objection to me taking over the project?
>

> One of the owners is Teodor, who is a core committer ... I hope he's not
> MIA.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: pgsphere

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Yes, I returned from Nepal a month ago :) I've sent my opinion about
pgsphere in separate message.

Oleg

On 01/08/2012 01:19 PM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Dave,
>
> The situation with pgshpere is so, that I think we need new developer,
> since Janko keep silence :)  I wrote him several time, since I wanted
> pgsphere now could benefit very much from our KNNGiST feature. This is
> number one development from my point of view. I and Teodor have no
> time to work on pgsphere, sorry. But, there are some astronomers I'm
> working
> with, who can take part in this. Sergey Karpov has done extensive
> benchmarks
> of q3c, rtree and pgsphere and found the latter still has some benefits
> in some workload, so we are interesting in development.

I suggest you just have Teodor add Dave as one of the project admins on
pgfoundry.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsphere

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Hi Oleg,

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> The situation with pgshpere is so, that I think we need new developer, since
> Janko keep silence :)  I wrote him several time, since I wanted
> pgsphere now could benefit very much from our KNNGiST feature. This is
> number one development from my point of view. I and Teodor have no
> time to work on pgsphere, sorry. But, there are some astronomers I'm working
> with, who can take part in this. Sergey Karpov has done extensive benchmarks
> of q3c, rtree and pgsphere and found the latter still has some benefits
> in some workload, so we are interesting in development.
>

> Regards,
> Oleg

So where do we go from here ?

On 01/10/2012 09:04 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

> So where do we go from here ?

First, please note that -hackers is not the right place for this
discussion. pgsphere is a pgfoundry project, which is not the province
of -hackers.

As I suggested, the best solution is for Teodor to add you as a project
admin. Oleg, could you please follow this up?

Speaking with my pgfoundry admin hat on, I am extremely reluctant to
take control of a project away from its owners. If you don't get any
action in a week or so, you can approach the pgfoundry admins for help.
In the meantime you might want to fork the code onto github or bitbucket.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsphere

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
I think Dave you fork project, I suggest different name pgsphere-2
to avoid confusion. github would be ok. Teodor and I are really
busy guys, so I don't believe we could participate much, except
discussion and testing. We implemented KNNGiST, you add neighbourhood
search support to pgsphere :)

Oleg

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Hi Oleg,
>

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> The situation with pgshpere is so, that I think we need new developer, since
>> Janko keep silence :)  I wrote him several time, since I wanted
>> pgsphere now could benefit very much from our KNNGiST feature. This is
>> number one development from my point of view. I and Teodor have no
>> time to work on pgsphere, sorry. But, there are some astronomers I'm working
>> with, who can take part in this. Sergey Karpov has done extensive benchmarks
>> of q3c, rtree and pgsphere and found the latter still has some benefits
>> in some workload, so we are interesting in development.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Oleg
>
> So where do we go from here ?
>

> Dave Cramer
>
> dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
> http://www.credativ.ca

>>> One of the owners is Teodor, who is a core committer ... I hope he's not
>>> MIA.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> andrew
>>>

>>        Regards,
>>                Oleg
>> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
>> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
>> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
>> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: pgsphere

From
Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date:
On Sun, 2012-01-08 22:19:53 +0400, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
> pgsphere now could benefit very much from our KNNGiST feature. This is
> number one development from my point of view. I and Teodor have no
> time to work on pgsphere, sorry. But, there are some astronomers I'm working
> with, who can take part in this. Sergey Karpov has done extensive benchmarks
> of q3c, rtree and pgsphere and found the latter still has some benefits
> in some workload, so we are interesting in development.

Could the PostGIS stuff be abused for stellar coordinates?

MfG, JBG

--      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:              Träume nicht von Deinem Leben: Lebe Deinen Traum!
the second  :

Re: pgsphere

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-01-08 22:19:53 +0400, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
>> pgsphere now could benefit very much from our KNNGiST feature. This is
>> number one development from my point of view. I and Teodor have no
>> time to work on pgsphere, sorry. But, there are some astronomers I'm working
>> with, who can take part in this. Sergey Karpov has done extensive benchmarks
>> of q3c, rtree and pgsphere and found the latter still has some benefits
>> in some workload, so we are interesting in development.
>
> Could the PostGIS stuff be abused for stellar coordinates?

There is no principal difference between celestial sphere and earth,
it's a matter of conversion between coordinates.
    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: pgsphere

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On 1/10/12 9:54 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Speaking with my pgfoundry admin hat on, I am extremely reluctant to
> take control of a project away from its owners. If you don't get any
> action in a week or so, you can approach the pgfoundry admins for help.
> In the meantime you might want to fork the code onto github or bitbucket.

Man, the pgfoundry admin hat has to be one of the least collectible ones
around.  Not exactly a lot of demand for them, and everyone who has one
would happily give theirs away.

I don't want to drag this off-topic thread on, but it's worth mentioning
that http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Project_Hosting has started a small
migration guide of sorts for where else you might host this sort of
project at.  It's not necessarily obvious what pgfoundry provides
relative to other sites, or what the trade-offs in the other
possibilities are.

Re: pgsphere

From
Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date:
On Wed, 2012-01-11 00:43:25 +0400, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-01-08 22:19:53 +0400, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
> > > pgsphere now could benefit very much from our KNNGiST feature.
> > > This is number one development from my point of view. I and
> > > Teodor have no time to work on pgsphere, sorry. But, there are
> > > some astronomers I'm working with, who can take part in this.
> > > Sergey Karpov has done extensive benchmarks of q3c, rtree and
> > > pgsphere and found the latter still has some benefits in some
> > > workload, so we are interesting in development.
> > Could the PostGIS stuff be abused for stellar coordinates?
>
> There is no principal difference between celestial sphere and earth,
> it's a matter of conversion between coordinates.

I'm a hobby astronomer myself--so I'm asking myself what is actually
needed. I had a look at pgsphere some weeks ago, but didn't use it,
because it seemed to be somewhat dead.

My next approach was to load a dataset as-is (with floting point RA
and dec) and then created a new table selecting all data and converted
the coordinates to POINTs. Even with a combined index on (RA,Dec) (as
well as one on the POINT column of the new PostGIS enabled table), the
later was quite faster when searching for specific areas etc.

One important thing that's needed is transformation between
equatorial, ecliptic, galactic and probably (local, incorporating
current local longitude/latitude and time) horizontal
coordinates.  What might be important, too, is to be able to change
between J2000.0 and B1950.0 etc.

The probably easiest thing is to change the (printable) representation
of coordinates, because (depending on the people you talk to),
especially for RA (equivalent to the earth's longitude), there are at
least two totally different notations used:
2h 30min 4.3sec = 2.5011944444h  =  37.5179°

The other axis is usually simply written in degree.

MfG, JBG

--      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481 Signature of:
Wennich wach bin, träume ich. the second  :