SSL key with passphrase

From
Thom Brown
Date:
Hi,

There appears to be a problem with starting Postgres if the SSL key
has a passphrase on it.  The following happens:

Enter PEM pass phrase:
FATAL:  could not load private key file "server.key": problems getting password

Starting with "postgres -D /path/to/cluster" returns:

Enter PEM pass phrase:
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2011-09-13 13:51:51 BST
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

So the postgres binary accepts stdin, but pg_ctl doesn't.  This isn't
an unusual case, so could I request a fix to allow pg_ctl to take
stdin rather than /dev/null?

Thanks

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: SSL key with passphrase

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> There appears to be a problem with starting Postgres if the SSL key
> has a passphrase on it.

It's documented that that's unsupported.  Given the number of ways to
start a postmaster, and the fact that many of them are noninteractive,
I don't think it's very productive for us to worry about it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: SSL key with passphrase

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 13 September 2011 15:17, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> There appears to be a problem with starting Postgres if the SSL key
>> has a passphrase on it.
>
> It's documented that that's unsupported.  Given the number of ways to
> start a postmaster, and the fact that many of them are noninteractive,
> I don't think it's very productive for us to worry about it.

For reference, could you point me to the page which states this lack
of support?  All I could find was a mention that in order to start the
service automatically, you would need to remove the passphrase.

--

Date:
On 13 September 2011 15:17, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> There appears to be a problem with starting Postgres if the SSL key
>> has a passphrase on it.
>
> It's documented that that's unsupported.  Given the number of ways to
> start a postmaster, and the fact that many of them are noninteractive,
> I don't think it's very productive for us to worry about it.

I've managed to get pg_ctl to accept the passphrase with the -w
option.  Works fine like that.  Since that works, perhaps the page
referring to SSL could mention this.

--

Date:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 02:40:15AM +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 13 September 2011 15:17, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> >> There appears to be a problem with starting Postgres if the SSL key
> >> has a passphrase on it.
> >
> > It's documented that that's unsupported.  Given the number of ways to
> > start a postmaster, and the fact that many of them are noninteractive,
> > I don't think it's very productive for us to worry about it.
>
> I've managed to get pg_ctl to accept the passphrase with the -w
> option.  Works fine like that.  Since that works, perhaps the page
> referring to SSL could mention this.

I have added a documention mention as you suggested for PG 9.3 in the
'-w' option section.