savepoint commit performance

From
Andy Colson
This patch:

Seems to have been after thoughts, and back burner stuff, and forgotten about...

Has it already been commit?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2011-07/msg00206.php

Oh, wait, nevermind, it was revoked and reworked:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg01041.php

but that was posted Jul 19, 2011.  And the Patch linked from commitfest is Jun 6, 2011.  So is that an old patch?  Or a
newpatch?

I'm confused.

-Andy

Re: savepoint commit performance

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
> This patch:
>
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=605
>
> Seems to have been after thoughts, and back burner stuff, and forgotten
> about...
>
> Has it already been commit?
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2011-07/msg00206.php
>
> Oh, wait, nevermind, it was revoked and reworked:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg01041.php
>
> but that was posted Jul 19, 2011.  And the Patch linked from commitfest is
> Jun 6, 2011.  So is that an old patch?  Or a new patch?
>
> I'm confused.

As far as I can see, Simon stated that he would revert it but never did so.

Perhaps we should go do that...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: savepoint commit performance

Date:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
>> This patch:
>>
>> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=605
>>
>> Seems to have been after thoughts, and back burner stuff, and forgotten
>> about...
>>
>> Has it already been commit?
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2011-07/msg00206.php
>>
>> Oh, wait, nevermind, it was revoked and reworked:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg01041.php
>>
>> but that was posted Jul 19, 2011. �And the Patch linked from commitfest is
>> Jun 6, 2011. �So is that an old patch? �Or a new patch?
>>
>> I'm confused.

> As far as I can see, Simon stated that he would revert it but never did so.

> Perhaps we should go do that...

The patch is definitely still in the tree.  Given the dangling-pointer
concerns raised by Heikki, I think we had better revert it before
shipping 9.1.  Also, the entry in the September commitfest can be marked
"returned with feedback", since it clearly predates the discussion on
-hackers.
        regards, tom lane

Re: savepoint commit performance

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
>>> This patch:
>>>
>>> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=605
>>>
>>> Seems to have been after thoughts, and back burner stuff, and forgotten
>>> about...
>>>
>>> Has it already been commit?
>>>
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2011-07/msg00206.php
>>>
>>> Oh, wait, nevermind, it was revoked and reworked:
>>>
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg01041.php
>>>
>>> but that was posted Jul 19, 2011.  And the Patch linked from commitfest is
>>> Jun 6, 2011.  So is that an old patch?  Or a new patch?
>>>
>>> I'm confused.
>
>> As far as I can see, Simon stated that he would revert it but never did so.
>
>> Perhaps we should go do that...
>
> The patch is definitely still in the tree.  Given the dangling-pointer
> concerns raised by Heikki, I think we had better revert it before
> shipping 9.1.  Also, the entry in the September commitfest can be marked
> "returned with feedback", since it clearly predates the discussion on
> -hackers.

It's not a 9.1 patch, so that is not a concern.

I'm back now and will act as advertised.

Date:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> I'm back now and will act as advertised.

I've revoked the performance aspect. The difference between release
and commit has been maintained since it makes the code easier to
understand.