[Streaming] Datum compression

From
Radosław Smogura
Date:
Hello,

I think about following functionality to add to streaming. In some way earlier
or later soemone will add possibility for gzip communication. As I try to make
streaming, I wonder if it is possible to change TOAST compression to
GZIP/zLib, currently is LZMA.

I want to make this: if user want to use compression during communication,
server will be able to send compressed datum, instead of doing recompression.
GZIP is actually quite popular, and skipping "plain" Windows C, it's supported
on all driver platforms, including Java and .NET.

What do You think about this approach.

Regards,
Radek.

Re: [Streaming] Datum compression

Date:
Radosław Smogura <rsmogura@softperience.eu> writes:
> I think about following functionality to add to streaming. In some way earlier
> or later soemone will add possibility for gzip communication. As I try to make
> streaming, I wonder if it is possible to change TOAST compression to
> GZIP/zLib, currently is LZMA.

> I want to make this: if user want to use compression during communication,
> server will be able to send compressed datum, instead of doing recompression.
> GZIP is actually quite popular, and skipping "plain" Windows C, it's supported
> on all driver platforms, including Java and .NET.

> What do You think about this approach.

The fact that TOAST depends on a non-gzip compressor is intentional.
The code that's there is faster than gzip, IIRC, and also there is
no problem with it possibly not being available on a particular system.
You haven't provided any justification that would overrule these
reasons.
        regards, tom lane