A small step towards more organized beta testing

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Hackers,

I've replaced test-report-by-email with a GoogleDocs application for Beta1.

The form for submitting test reports is here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dEh3WEwzOFhKWWw4dHdRS2VQTExRdVE6MQ&ifq

The accumulated test reports are here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AoeuP3g2YZsFdEh3WEwzOFhKWWw4dHdRS2VQTExRdVE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Instructions are here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HowToBetaTest#Reporting_Tests

Obviously, this is a temporary solution.  I'm working on a Django app to
replace it.  But for now, it lets us take test reports, and lets hackers
view them.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: A small step towards more organized beta testing

From
"Dickson S. Guedes"
Date:
2011/5/2 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> Hackers,
>
> I've replaced test-report-by-email with a GoogleDocs application for Beta1.
>
> The form for submitting test reports is here:
>
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dEh3WEwzOFhKWWw4dHdRS2VQTExRdVE6MQ&ifq

[... cut ...]

It's very good Josh.

For filter purpose, could have the form a 32bits/64bits choice?

--
Dickson S. Guedes
mail/xmpp: guedes@guedesoft.net - skype: guediz

Date:
> For filter purpose, could have the form a 32bits/64bits choice?

That would go into the "platform details" field.

Adding new fields in Googledocs is problematic, so I'd rather not add
one at this point, and spend my time on replacing it with a Django app
instead.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: A small step towards more organized beta testing

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> I've replaced test-report-by-email with a GoogleDocs application for Beta1.

Didn't we stop doing that when the buildfarm came along?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On 5/3/11 1:28 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Hackers,
>>
>> I've replaced test-report-by-email with a GoogleDocs application for Beta1.
>
> Didn't we stop doing that when the buildfarm came along?

This is user beta tests, not build tests.  If you looked at the form,
you'd see that it's for a completely different kind of test.

--

Date:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/11 1:28 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> Hackers,
>>>
>>> I've replaced test-report-by-email with a GoogleDocs application for Beta1.
>>
>> Didn't we stop doing that when the buildfarm came along?
>
> This is user beta tests, not build tests.  If you looked at the form,
> you'd see that it's for a completely different kind of test.

I did, I just don't recall doing anything other than the old platform
support emails in the past. Even the pgsql-testers list seems to be
almost entirely full of bug reports, though I do see two or three
emails claiming to be test reports now I look more closely.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: A small step towards more organized beta testing

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Hackers,

And we have our first useful test reports.  Please see these tests:

5/3/2011 8:01:29 -- issue with escaping quotes in functions.

5/3/2011 11:06:16 -- core dump with pg_restore

Also, Dave, there's a complaint about the one-click packages:

5/3/2011 8:04:02

(and yes, it's annouying that there's no way to create links to
individual rows)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: A small step towards more organized beta testing

From
Andrew Dunstan

On 05/03/2011 03:59 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> And we have our first useful test reports.  Please see these tests:
>
> 5/3/2011 8:01:29 -- issue with escaping quotes in functions.
>
> 5/3/2011 11:06:16 -- core dump with pg_restore
>
> Also, Dave, there's a complaint about the one-click packages:
>
> 5/3/2011 8:04:02
>
> (and yes, it's annouying that there's no way to create links to
> individual rows)

Are we really running a Google spreadsheet as in effect a bug tracker?

cheers

andrew

Re: A small step towards more organized beta testing

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 22:03, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 05/03/2011 03:59 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>> Hackers,
>>
>> And we have our first useful test reports.  Please see these tests:
>>
>> 5/3/2011 8:01:29 -- issue with escaping quotes in functions.
>>
>> 5/3/2011 11:06:16 -- core dump with pg_restore
>>
>> Also, Dave, there's a complaint about the one-click packages:
>>
>> 5/3/2011 8:04:02
>>
>> (and yes, it's annouying that there's no way to create links to
>> individual rows)
>>

> Are we really running a Google spreadsheet as in effect a bug tracker?

And why are we so inistant on not posting bug reports to pgsql-bugs?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Date:

pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org please.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: A small step towards more organized beta testing

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:06:08 PM Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 22:03, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> > On 05/03/2011 03:59 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Hackers,
> >>
> >> And we have our first useful test reports.  Please see these tests:
> >>
> >> 5/3/2011 8:01:29 -- issue with escaping quotes in functions.
> >>
> >> 5/3/2011 11:06:16 -- core dump with pg_restore
> >>
> >> Also, Dave, there's a complaint about the one-click packages:
> >>
> >> 5/3/2011 8:04:02
> >>
> >> (and yes, it's annouying that there's no way to create links to
> >> individual rows)
> >
> > Are we really running a Google spreadsheet as in effect a bug tracker?
>
> And why are we so inistant on not posting bug reports to pgsql-bugs?
Thats especially strange as the spreadsheet doesn't have contact information
available for everybody. So basically only people having some form of extra
access can ask for information about bugs.

Andres

Date:
>> Are we really running a Google spreadsheet as in effect a bug tracker?
>
> And why are we so inistant on not posting bug reports to pgsql-bugs?

We're not.  However:

a) pgsql-bugs doesn't help us to get all of the various test information
without a lot of back-and-forth with the submitter (platform, version,
install method, test run, etc.)

b) pgsql-bugs is for failures only, and not for successful tests, and we
need successful tests as well to know how we're doing.

However, that does suggest that having the eventual test report app
(working on it), post failures to pgsql-bugs on some kind of moderated
basis.

BTW, if anyone knows of a specific *testing* application out there which
handles user testing, then please speak up before I write one.

--

Date:
On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:25:13 PM Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Are we really running a Google spreadsheet as in effect a bug tracker?
> >

> > And why are we so inistant on not posting bug reports to pgsql-bugs?
>
> We're not.  However:
The HowToBetaTest guide only refers to that app. Not to anything else.
*At least* it should instruct people sending bugs additionally to pgsql-
bugs/the web form.

Andres

Date:
> The HowToBetaTest guide only refers to that app. Not to anything else.
> *At least* it should instruct people sending bugs additionally to pgsql-
> bugs/the web form.

It's a wiki; feel free to add it.

BTW, I'll point out to everyone that I posted my idea to do this more
than 2 weeks ago.  So it shouldn't be news ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: A small step towards more organized beta testing

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar may 03 16:59:54 -0300 2011:
> Hackers,
>
> And we have our first useful test reports.  Please see these tests:
>
> 5/3/2011 8:01:29 -- issue with escaping quotes in functions.

Is this about standard_conforming_strings flipping default?

Date:
On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:33:03 PM Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar may 03 16:59:54 -0300 2011:
> > Hackers,
> >
> > And we have our first useful test reports.  Please see these tests:
> >
> > 5/3/2011 8:01:29 -- issue with escaping quotes in functions.
>
> Is this about standard_conforming_strings flipping default?
The report on the website cites the example:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test() RETURNS void AS '
DECLARE
BEGIN
SELECT \'test\';
END;
' LANGUAGE plpgsql;

So yes, thats standard_conforming_strings.

Andres

Re: A small step towards more organized beta testing

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

I've added a check box giving permission to forward failure reports to
pgsql-bugs.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.