Wisconsin benchmark

From
Jeff Janes
Date:
The Wisconsin Benchmark in src/test/bench is broken, probably since 8.2.

Attached is a tested patch that fixes it.  However, it might be better
to just remove src/test/bench.  The benchmark is quite useless,
because it is single user test that runs in the stand
alone mode, and because it is laughably small, taking just a couple
seconds on a 6 year old not-all-that good machine.  And it doesn't
seem to be all that faithful to the Wisconsin Benchmark, as the string
fields are only 6 characters rather than 42 (I think) of the
benchmark.

Cheers,

Jeff

Attachment

Re: Wisconsin benchmark

Date:
> The Wisconsin Benchmark in src/test/bench is broken, probably since 8.2.

Again?  :-(

> Attached is a tested patch that fixes it.  However, it might be better
> to just remove src/test/bench.

I tend to agree with this opinion.  That benchmark is obsolete to the
point of having zero connection to the modern world; which is why we
keep not noticing when it's busted.  Anyone want to argue for keeping it
in our sources?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wisconsin benchmark

From
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Date:
Tom Lane escreveu:
> I tend to agree with this opinion.  That benchmark is obsolete to the
> point of having zero connection to the modern world; which is why we
> keep not noticing when it's busted.  Anyone want to argue for keeping it
> in our sources?

+1 for removing it.

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/

Re: Wisconsin benchmark

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> I tend to agree with this opinion.  That benchmark is obsolete to the
> point of having zero connection to the modern world; which is why we
> keep not noticing when it's busted.  Anyone want to argue for keeping it
> in our sources?

+1 on removing it.

--
Josh Berkus