docs: mention autovacuum when ANALYZE is recommended

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Hi,

Bruce asked me to look for places in the docs that mention that an
ANALYZE is recommended, to mention the possibility that autovacuum takes
care.  This patch does that.

Re: docs: mention autovacuum when ANALYZE is recommended

Date:
> Bruce asked me to look for places in the docs that mention that an
> ANALYZE is recommended, to mention the possibility that autovacuum takes
> care.  This patch does that.

I think you found the right places to touch, but is "let the autovacuum
daemon do it" sufficient?  It seems like that needs some qualifiers
about whether autovacuum is enabled, how long you should expect to wait
for the stats to get updated, etc.  It's probably not a good idea to
duplicate all that in each place, but maybe a link to the main
documentation about autovacuum is reasonable in each place.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce asked me to look for places in the docs that mention that an
> > ANALYZE is recommended, to mention the possibility that autovacuum takes
> > care.  This patch does that.
>
> I think you found the right places to touch, but is "let the autovacuum
> daemon do it" sufficient?  It seems like that needs some qualifiers
> about whether autovacuum is enabled, how long you should expect to wait
> for the stats to get updated, etc.  It's probably not a good idea to
> duplicate all that in each place, but maybe a link to the main
> documentation about autovacuum is reasonable in each place.

Sorry this fell through the cracks.  How does this look?  My idea would
be to backpatch it to 8.3 and 8.4.

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
> > > Bruce asked me to look for places in the docs that mention that an
> > > ANALYZE is recommended, to mention the possibility that autovacuum takes
> > > care.  This patch does that.
> >
> > I think you found the right places to touch, but is "let the autovacuum
> > daemon do it" sufficient?  It seems like that needs some qualifiers
> > about whether autovacuum is enabled, how long you should expect to wait
> > for the stats to get updated, etc.  It's probably not a good idea to
> > duplicate all that in each place, but maybe a link to the main
> > documentation about autovacuum is reasonable in each place.
>
> Sorry this fell through the cracks.  How does this look?  My idea would
> be to backpatch it to 8.3 and 8.4.

Committed, but backpatched to 8.4 only.