proposal: new contrib module - session variables

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
Hello all,

session variables are missing feature long time. Currently nobody
works on package or SQL/PSM module implementation so there is some
gap.Currently best know solution are session variables based on plper
hash tables or Joe Conway's C implementation.

I propose include Joe's code into contrib set
http://www.joeconway.com/sessfunc.tar.gz It's important mainly for
window's users, that has problems with own compilation.

Objections?

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Re: proposal: new contrib module - session variables

From
Andrew Dunstan

Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> session variables are missing feature long time. Currently nobody
> works on package or SQL/PSM module implementation so there is some
> gap.Currently best know solution are session variables based on plper
> hash tables or Joe Conway's C implementation.
>
> I propose include Joe's code into contrib set
> http://www.joeconway.com/sessfunc.tar.gz It's important mainly for
> window's users, that has problems with own compilation.
>
> Objections?

The URL fails, so I can't comment on Joe's work. But I seriously doubt
that any contrib module is really the right way to go about doing
session variables. If we're going to have them then they need to be
properly builtin, and available to all PLs.

cheers

andrew

Date:
2008/6/9 Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>:

> Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> session variables are missing feature long time. Currently nobody
>> works on package or SQL/PSM module implementation so there is some
>> gap.Currently best know solution are session variables based on plper
>> hash tables or Joe Conway's C implementation.
>>
>> I propose include Joe's code into contrib set
>> http://www.joeconway.com/sessfunc.tar.gz It's important mainly for
>> window's users, that has problems with own compilation.
>>
>> Objections?
>>

> The URL fails, so I can't comment on Joe's work. But I seriously doubt that
> any contrib module is really the right way to go about doing session
> variables. If we're going to have them then they need to be properly
> builtin, and available to all PLs.

probably Joe's server is out currently :(.

Joe's implementation was simply - hash table stored in session context.

Pavel

> cheers
>
> andrew

Re: proposal: new contrib module - session variables

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> The URL fails, so I can't comment on Joe's work. But I seriously doubt that
>> any contrib module is really the right way to go about doing session
>> variables. If we're going to have them then they need to be properly
>> builtin, and available to all PLs.
>
> probably Joe's server is out currently :(.
>
> Joe's implementation was simply - hash table stored in session context.

Sorry -- I forgot to restart apache after upgrading my kernel yesterday :-(

I don't have a strong opinion either way regarding including this in
contrib or elsewhere, but if there is sufficient interest I'll find the
time to update it for cvs head as well as ensure it represents the
latest and greatest that I have available. I've used and improved it in
minor ways since that tarball was put up.

Joe