Re: proposal: new contrib module - session variables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: proposal: new contrib module - session variables
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> session variables are missing feature long time. Currently nobody
> works on package or SQL/PSM module implementation so there is some
> gap.Currently best know solution are session variables based on plper
> hash tables or Joe Conway's C implementation.
>
> I propose include Joe's code into contrib set
> http://www.joeconway.com/sessfunc.tar.gz It's important mainly for
> window's users, that has problems with own compilation.
>
> Objections?

The URL fails, so I can't comment on Joe's work. But I seriously doubt
that any contrib module is really the right way to go about doing
session variables. If we're going to have them then they need to be
properly builtin, and available to all PLs.

cheers

andrew