Commit fest?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
> I was just curious what the status of the Commit Fest was?

It's moving, but slowly.   Bruce and I have been knocking items off
the queue, but we could use some help with reviewing.

http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches

Please leave a comment if you're starting to work on anything
large, so that people don't duplicate effort.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest?

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

>> I was just curious what the status of the Commit Fest was?
>
> It's moving, but slowly.   Bruce and I have been knocking items off
> the queue, but we could use some help with reviewing.

Could you point me at a patch you think would make a good candidate? Or should
I just pick a random one?

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's PostGIS support!

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
>> It's moving, but slowly.   Bruce and I have been knocking items off
>> the queue, but we could use some help with reviewing.

> Could you point me at a patch you think would make a good candidate? Or should
> I just pick a random one?

Pick things you feel interested in and competent to review.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest?

From
Andrew Dunstan

Tom Lane wrote:

>> I was just curious what the status of the Commit Fest was?
>>

> It's moving, but slowly.   Bruce and I have been knocking items off
> the queue, but we could use some help with reviewing.
>
> http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches
>
> Please leave a comment if you're starting to work on anything
> large, so that people don't duplicate effort.

I can't say I find this an advance - paging through 14 pages of subject
headers with the odd comment isn't very productive. A nice wiki table
with links to the discussions would be much nicer, IMNSHO.

cheers

andrew

Re: Commit fest?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches

> I can't say I find this an advance - paging through 14 pages of subject
> headers with the odd comment isn't very productive. A nice wiki table
> with links to the discussions would be much nicer, IMNSHO.

Well, it's an advance over what we had before, which was that the queue
was completely read-only for everyone except Bruce.  I agree that
migrating it to a wiki page would be nicer in the long run.  But unless
someone wants to step up and make that happen within a very short
interval, trying to do it in the middle of the fest is just going to be
a distraction.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
> Not it just looks like the same old patches threads :(

The comment stuff seems to need Javascript :-(
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
> O.k. I have got to be doing something wrong. I always leave javascript
> on entirely. I am on this page:

> http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00155.html

You can put comments on the top-level index pages --- actually they're
at the level of threads, not of individual messages.  I'm not that
thrilled with that aspect of it myself, but it's still better than
nothing.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest?

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I can't say I find this an advance - paging through 14 pages of subject
> headers with the odd comment isn't very productive.

Bruce had said it was going to take him time to organize things better,
and instead of waiting for that to complete he was asked to just dump the
whole archive in there so other people could help.  I didn't find the
formatting a problem.  Many of the patches I had something to say about
were already sitting in my personal archived mailbox as well in the same
format, so I just switched to my mail reader to follow the threads better
in those cases.

> A nice wiki table with links to the discussions would be much nicer,
> IMNSHO.

Well then hurry up and take care of building that for everybody.  One of
my better known catch phrases among my friends is "don't complain about
anything you're not willing to fix yourself".

I recall a moment from late in the 8.3 cycle that seems familiar here.  I
went to the trouble of pushing some of the CVS commit information onto the
developer's wiki so that multiple people could help work through sorting
through it all as part of the release note building proces.  But nobody
did, and Tom ended up doing the whole thing himself instead.

The lesson I walked away with is that if the person doing most of the work
isn't interested in your tool, what you and other people would like isn't
particularly relevant.  While it's far from perfect, the comment thing on
these pages is a step forward, and I've spent a few hours sorting through
the parts of this I understand this week to try and help out with that.

Until someone other than Bruce and Tom is going to volunteer to do the
time consuming parts of the job, whether it would be nice to have this
information on a wiki or not doesn't matter too much.  Usefully organized
content doesn't magically create itself, it takes work.  I think once the
backlog is whittled down to a managable size moving to the wiki format
used to track 8.3 progress will make sense.  Right now many of these
threads are not turning into patches to review, and the easiest way to
figure out which are which is to read through the discussion
thread--something a wiki wouldn't make any easier than the view Bruce is
already providing.

Re: Commit fest?

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00155.html
> This patch is actually one I think I could review but I see nothing
> that allows a comment or login to allow comment or anything. :(

To be specific, click on the "Thread Index" button at the top of that page
and you'll be taken to the view you leave comments on.

My biggest peeve with the software is that when I get e-mailed that
someone has replied to a comment I made, the URLs in the e-mail haven't
ever worked.  I have to go sort through the messages manually to figure
out what the reply was referring to.

Re: Commit fest?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> Usefully organized
> content doesn't magically create itself, it takes work.

What he said.

It's worth pointing out here that a whole lot of what is in Bruce's
queue isn't patches or anything close to that, but discussions that he
dropped into the queue until they could get summarized as TODO items.
We've talked about moving the TODO list to the wiki as well.  Something
that would perhaps be useful to do in parallel with the patch-reviewing
is to make that happen and start pushing the discussion threads out of
the patch queue and onto the wiki page.  Right now it's hard to even
find the reviewable patches among the other stuff.

I do have a bee in my bonnet about the TODO-to-be threads that revolve
around mapping ideas (free space map, dead space map, known frozen
pages, etc etc).  I would like us to consider *all* those ideas as
a group and try to come out with a coherent roadmap for where we are
going to go with them.  Perhaps that isn't an appropriate commit-fest
activity, but it needs to happen sometime soon, before anyone starts
spending serious work on these areas.

There may be some other threads as well in which we need to review
design ideas, rather than complete patches, to help someone head in
the right direction.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Thanks for that but I have tried multiple patches and I get nothing.
> This is what I did:
>
> browser:
> http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00155.html
> click "Thread Index":
> http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/thrd2.html#00162

Actually, "thread index" takes you to
http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/thrd2.html#00155
(which is kinda obvious -- the 155 is a number put there by mhonarc) and
you can certainly comment on it.  There's a comment by Bruce saying "Ah,
the utility command patch again."

My guess is that you have the NoScript extension or something like that.

Re: Commit fest?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00155.html
> > This patch is actually one I think I could review but I see nothing
> > that allows a comment or login to allow comment or anything. :(
>
> To be specific, click on the "Thread Index" button at the top of that page
> and you'll be taken to the view you leave comments on.
>
> My biggest peeve with the software is that when I get e-mailed that
> someone has replied to a comment I made, the URLs in the e-mail haven't
> ever worked.  I have to go sort through the messages manually to figure
> out what the reply was referring to.

Yea, that is a big problem because the URLs are dynamic.  I have the
comments based on message id but there is no way to hook that to a URL.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
Yep, Greg Smith hit the nail on the head.  There were lots of complaints
in the past that "we don't know how to help" so now almost every thread
has a comment, and people can add their own comments, but still it is
mostly Tom and me making comments and applying patches and adding TODO
items.

"Oh, can I have a wiki that has exactly what I want to know and can read
my mind and I don't have to type anything" is about where my thinking is
on this issue right now.  (no smiley folks)

Anyway, expect the commit fest to go on until probably early April based
on the progress we are making.

Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> > Usefully organized
> > content doesn't magically create itself, it takes work.
>
> What he said.
>
> It's worth pointing out here that a whole lot of what is in Bruce's
> queue isn't patches or anything close to that, but discussions that he
> dropped into the queue until they could get summarized as TODO items.
> We've talked about moving the TODO list to the wiki as well.  Something
> that would perhaps be useful to do in parallel with the patch-reviewing
> is to make that happen and start pushing the discussion threads out of
> the patch queue and onto the wiki page.  Right now it's hard to even
> find the reviewable patches among the other stuff.

Yep, lots of TODOs but, again, we have to deal with these sometimes so
this is a good time to do it.

> I do have a bee in my bonnet about the TODO-to-be threads that revolve
> around mapping ideas (free space map, dead space map, known frozen
> pages, etc etc).  I would like us to consider *all* those ideas as
> a group and try to come out with a coherent roadmap for where we are
> going to go with them.  Perhaps that isn't an appropriate commit-fest
> activity, but it needs to happen sometime soon, before anyone starts
> spending serious work on these areas.

Yep, we need a plan on that thing.  I can pull them out into a separate
URL when we are ready, and any comments will appear at the new URL.  I
wish I could move things around myself but the list is dynamic so it
isn't possible.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Commit fest?

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 08:42:00PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > My guess is that you have the NoScript extension or something like
> > that.
>
> Nope :). I don't run firefox extensions. That was actually probably a
> mispaste due to the wonders of linux clipboard. I will try again.

I wonder if you've fixed it but looking at the source it references an
external JS file at http://js-kit.com/comments.js, maybe some security
thing? It appears to work by fetch automatically generated JS files
from the server to execute.

Have a nice day,

Re: Commit fest?

bruce wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > > http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00155.html
> > > This patch is actually one I think I could review but I see nothing
> > > that allows a comment or login to allow comment or anything. :(
> >
> > To be specific, click on the "Thread Index" button at the top of that page
> > and you'll be taken to the view you leave comments on.
> >
> > My biggest peeve with the software is that when I get e-mailed that
> > someone has replied to a comment I made, the URLs in the e-mail haven't
> > ever worked.  I have to go sort through the messages manually to figure
> > out what the reply was referring to.
>
> Yea, that is a big problem because the URLs are dynamic.  I have the
> comments based on message id but there is no way to hook that to a URL.

I have modified the code so each email message now shows a _permanent_
URL at the top, e.g.
 Permanent URL: http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/44DA31B1.3090700.enterprisedb.com.html

so it can be referenced in emails and the thread links on the page still
work fine.

It does take a little longer to generate the thread index after an mbox
change but I think this feature is worth it.

I can do the same for the comments so email notifications you get link
to the right email but now that we already have comments in the system
it is too late to change them now.  Also, if I do that, comments for
emails moved from the hold queue to the main queue would disappear, so I
am not sure that is a great idea.

bruce wrote:
> > Yea, that is a big problem because the URLs are dynamic.  I have the
> > comments based on message id but there is no way to hook that to a URL.
>
> I have modified the code so each email message now shows a _permanent_
> URL at the top, e.g.
>
>   Permanent URL: http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/44DA31B1.3090700.enterprisedb.com.html

I have shortened the URL using md5:
 Permanent URL: http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/dded9117101d6b0e1b8357066b9df9cd.html

So _now_ it is permanent.  ;-)

Date:
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> bruce wrote:
>> > Yea, that is a big problem because the URLs are dynamic.  I have the
>> > comments based on message id but there is no way to hook that to a URL.
>>
>> I have modified the code so each email message now shows a _permanent_
>> URL at the top, e.g.
>>
>>   Permanent URL: http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/44DA31B1.3090700.enterprisedb.com.html
>
> I have shortened the URL using md5:
>
>   Permanent URL: http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/dded9117101d6b0e1b8357066b9df9cd.html
>
> So _now_ it is permanent.  ;-)

Not Found
The requested URL /mhonarc/patches/dded9117101d6b0e1b8357066b9df9cd.html was not found on this server.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's On-Demand Production
Tuning

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:

> >> I have modified the code so each email message now shows a _permanent_
> >> URL at the top, e.g.
> >>
> >>   Permanent URL: http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/44DA31B1.3090700.enterprisedb.com.html
> >
> > I have shortened the URL using md5:
> >
> >   Permanent URL: http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/dded9117101d6b0e1b8357066b9df9cd.html
> >
> > So _now_ it is permanent.  ;-)
>
> Not Found
> The requested URL /mhonarc/patches/dded9117101d6b0e1b8357066b9df9cd.html was not found on this server.

Yes, sorry, I had to remove the feature.  I will re-add it
tomorrow/Sunday.

Date:
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark wrote:

>> > I have shortened the URL using md5:
>> >
>> >   Permanent URL: http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/dded9117101d6b0e1b8357066b9df9cd.html
>> >
>> > So _now_ it is permanent.  ;-)
>>
>> Not Found
>> The requested URL /mhonarc/patches/dded9117101d6b0e1b8357066b9df9cd.html was not found on this server.
>
> Yes, sorry, I had to remove the feature.  I will re-add it
> tomorrow/Sunday.

Actually, is it just me or has the whole patch queue disappeared?
Everything under /mhonarc/patches seems to be gone.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!

Re: Commit fest?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:22:09 -0300
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually, "thread index" takes you to
> > http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/thrd2.html#00155
> > (which is kinda obvious -- the 155 is a number put there by mhonarc)
> > and you can certainly comment on it.  There's a comment by Bruce
> > saying "Ah, the utility command patch again."
>
> Nope :). I don't run firefox extensions. That was actually probably a
> mispaste due to the wonders of linux clipboard. I will try again.

Huh, what would you need the clipboard for?  Just middle-click the link
and it'll open on a new tab.

Re: Commit fest?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Commit fest?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

> > I do have a bee in my bonnet about the TODO-to-be threads that revolve
> > around mapping ideas (free space map, dead space map, known frozen
> > pages, etc etc).  I would like us to consider *all* those ideas as
> > a group and try to come out with a coherent roadmap for where we are
> > going to go with them.  Perhaps that isn't an appropriate commit-fest
> > activity, but it needs to happen sometime soon, before anyone starts
> > spending serious work on these areas.
>
> Yep, we need a plan on that thing.  I can pull them out into a separate
> URL when we are ready, and any comments will appear at the new URL.  I
> wish I could move things around myself but the list is dynamic so it
> isn't possible.

You used to keep a "TODO.detail" queue for these kind of things.  I
think that worked a lot better, because each item had its discussions
grouped in a single place, where you could glance at it without having
to wade through lots of unrelated stuff.

Re: Commit fest?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
> Actually, is it just me or has the whole patch queue disappeared?
> Everything under /mhonarc/patches seems to be gone.

/mhonarc?  The URL I've always used is

Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> Actually, is it just me or has the whole patch queue disappeared?
>> Everything under /mhonarc/patches seems to be gone.
>
> /mhonarc?  The URL I've always used is
> http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches

Yeah, but note that all the links in that page including the Next Page go to
/mhonarc. In any case Bruce seems to have regenerated the files.

I'm curious where the comments are being stored, since it's not in the html
source. The javascript must be pulling them from another url?

Also, I think I would prefer you *not* md5sum the message-id. The message-id
is globally unique. Given a message-id we have at least a fighting chance of
finding it in our local mail spool or the Postgres mail archive. (Though the
Postgres search engine doesn't support that currently).

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication
support!

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> >> Actually, is it just me or has the whole patch queue disappeared?
> >> Everything under /mhonarc/patches seems to be gone.
> >
> > /mhonarc?  The URL I've always used is
> > http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches
>
> Yeah, but note that all the links in that page including the Next Page go to
> /mhonarc. In any case Bruce seems to have regenerated the files.

Good, should be online now with permanent links too.

> I'm curious where the comments are being stored, since it's not in the html
> source. The javascript must be pulling them from another url?

The comments  are stored at JS-Kit:
http://js-kit.com/comments/

> Also, I think I would prefer you *not* md5sum the message-id. The message-id
> is globally unique. Given a message-id we have at least a fighting chance of
> finding it in our local mail spool or the Postgres mail archive. (Though the
> Postgres search engine doesn't support that currently).

Well, I can't have "@" in the URL because it is usually forbidden by
browsers for phishing protection, so I was converting @ to '.' anyway.
What I have now done is display the real message id and MD5 permanent
link at the top of each message, e.g.:
http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00054.html

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > > I do have a bee in my bonnet about the TODO-to-be threads that revolve
> > > around mapping ideas (free space map, dead space map, known frozen
> > > pages, etc etc).  I would like us to consider *all* those ideas as
> > > a group and try to come out with a coherent roadmap for where we are
> > > going to go with them.  Perhaps that isn't an appropriate commit-fest
> > > activity, but it needs to happen sometime soon, before anyone starts
> > > spending serious work on these areas.
> >
> > Yep, we need a plan on that thing.  I can pull them out into a separate
> > URL when we are ready, and any comments will appear at the new URL.  I
> > wish I could move things around myself but the list is dynamic so it
> > isn't possible.
>
> You used to keep a "TODO.detail" queue for these kind of things.  I
> think that worked a lot better, because each item had its discussions
> grouped in a single place, where you could glance at it without having
> to wade through lots of unrelated stuff.

Yes, that is a good idea but it usually happens when I am ready to add
something to the TODO list.  The problem right now is I have no idea
_what_ to add to the TODO list for this item.

Date:
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

>> I'm curious where the comments are being stored, since it's not in the html
>> source. The javascript must be pulling them from another url?
>
> The comments  are stored at JS-Kit:
>
>     http://js-kit.com/comments/

It's stored in their server?

> Well, I can't have "@" in the URL because it is usually forbidden by
> browsers for phishing protection, so I was converting @ to '.' anyway.
> What I have now done is display the real message id and MD5 permanent
> link at the top of each message, e.g.:
>
>     http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00054.html

Any chance we could put that on the actual listing page somehow. perhaps in a
tiny font?? I want to be able to copy the thread and get enough information
for future reference.

Also, any chance you could use the permanent urls in the thread listing?

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's RemoteDBA services!

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>
> >> I'm curious where the comments are being stored, since it's not in the html
> >> source. The javascript must be pulling them from another url?
> >
> > The comments  are stored at JS-Kit:
> >
> >     http://js-kit.com/comments/
>
> It's stored in their server?

Yes, that was the beauty of it --- I just add javascript with a tag and
all comments are handled by them.

> > Well, I can't have "@" in the URL because it is usually forbidden by
> > browsers for phishing protection, so I was converting @ to '.' anyway.
> > What I have now done is display the real message id and MD5 permanent
> > link at the top of each message, e.g.:
> >
> >     http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches/msg00054.html
>
> Any chance we could put that on the actual listing page somehow. perhaps in a
> tiny font?? I want to be able to copy the thread and get enough information
> for future reference.

You want the message-id on the listing page?  Sure, I was doing that
before but I didn't know anyone wanted it and it looked a little
cluttered.  Let me know.

> Also, any chance you could use the permanent urls in the thread listing?

Uh, that would be a little tricky because the next/previous wants to go
by message number increment, I think.  I could post-process all the HTML
files to do a search/replace.

I think the bigger problem is the threads move around on the thread
pages, and that seems impossible to fix as items are added and removed.

Date:
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> You want the message-id on the listing page?  Sure, I was doing that
> before but I didn't know anyone wanted it and it looked a little
> cluttered.  Let me know.

I agree it was too cluttered for normal use.

What I'm trying to do is get a page which has the message-id's of all the
messages and the comments on the same page. That way I can dump the data into
a text file to experiment with.

Date:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>>> The comments  are stored at JS-Kit:
>>> http://js-kit.com/comments/
>>
>> It's stored in their server?

> Yes, that was the beauty of it --- I just add javascript with a tag and
> all comments are handled by them.

"Beauty"?  I don't think we want to rely on non-project-controlled
servers for anything that's part of our core infrastructure.  If/when
js-kit.com goes belly-up, what happens to that data?  Also, what kind of
privacy guarantees have we got?  (Admittedly, privacy may be moot for
information that was originally entered on a public web page, but the
whole idea of someone else controlling our data just makes me itch.)

I can go along with this as a jury-rig setup for our first commit fest,
but it just seems like another powerful argument for moving to something
wiki-based as soon as we can get that sorted.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest?

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Gregory Stark wrote:
> >>
> >> It's stored in their server?
>
> > Yes, that was the beauty of it --- I just add javascript with a tag and
> > all comments are handled by them.
>
> "Beauty"?  I don't think we want to rely on non-project-controlled
> servers for anything that's part of our core infrastructure.  If/when
> js-kit.com goes belly-up, what happens to that data?  Also, what kind of
> privacy guarantees have we got?  (Admittedly, privacy may be moot for
> information that was originally entered on a public web page, but the
> whole idea of someone else controlling our data just makes me itch.)
>
> I can go along with this as a jury-rig setup for our first commit fest,
> but it just seems like another powerful argument for moving to something
> wiki-based as soon as we can get that sorted.

We don't need these comments for more than a few weeks --- I don't see a
problem with it.

Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>
> > You want the message-id on the listing page?  Sure, I was doing that
> > before but I didn't know anyone wanted it and it looked a little
> > cluttered.  Let me know.
>
> I agree it was too cluttered for normal use.
>
> What I'm trying to do is get a page which has the message-id's of all the
> messages and the comments on the same page. That way I can dump the data into
> a text file to experiment with.

Why not grab the mbox file and grep out the message ids?

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Gregory Stark wrote:
> >>
> >> It's stored in their server?
>
> > Yes, that was the beauty of it --- I just add javascript with a tag and
> > all comments are handled by them.
>
> "Beauty"?  I don't think we want to rely on non-project-controlled
> servers for anything that's part of our core infrastructure.  If/when
> js-kit.com goes belly-up, what happens to that data?  Also, what kind of
> privacy guarantees have we got?  (Admittedly, privacy may be moot for
> information that was originally entered on a public web page, but the
> whole idea of someone else controlling our data just makes me itch.)
>
> I can go along with this as a jury-rig setup for our first commit fest,
> but it just seems like another powerful argument for moving to something
> wiki-based as soon as we can get that sorted.

We could move to a wiki if someone finds out how to dump emails into a
wiki, or if we decide to be more structured in our methods, like having
separate URLs for bugs, feature requests, and patches, and doing all
activity on those items at those URLs.

Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>
> > You want the message-id on the listing page?  Sure, I was doing that
> > before but I didn't know anyone wanted it and it looked a little
> > cluttered.  Let me know.
>
> I agree it was too cluttered for normal use.
>
> What I'm trying to do is get a page which has the message-id's of all the
> messages and the comments on the same page. That way I can dump the data into
> a text file to experiment with.

Oh, what I would really like is to be able to pull up
archives.postgresql.org emails based on message id so I can link to the
entire thread.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work there, nor does Google or
any of the other Postgres email archive sites.

Date:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I can go along with this as a jury-rig setup for our first commit fest,
>> but it just seems like another powerful argument for moving to something
>> wiki-based as soon as we can get that sorted.

> We could move to a wiki if someone finds out how to dump emails into a
> wiki, or if we decide to be more structured in our methods, like having
> separate URLs for bugs, feature requests, and patches, and doing all
> activity on those items at those URLs.

I don't think we want to "dump emails into a wiki".  What we want is a
page with links into the mail archives plus commentary.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest?

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I can go along with this as a jury-rig setup for our first commit fest,
> >> but it just seems like another powerful argument for moving to something
> >> wiki-based as soon as we can get that sorted.
>
> > We could move to a wiki if someone finds out how to dump emails into a
> > wiki, or if we decide to be more structured in our methods, like having
> > separate URLs for bugs, feature requests, and patches, and doing all
> > activity on those items at those URLs.
>
> I don't think we want to "dump emails into a wiki".  What we want is a
> page with links into the mail archives plus commentary.

So the thread titles get put into a wiki that supports comments with
URL links to our archives?

Date:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Oh, what I would really like is to be able to pull up
> archives.postgresql.org emails based on message id so I can link to the
> entire thread.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work there, nor does Google or
> any of the other Postgres email archive sites.

This is something I've been looking into my own organization.  The message
ids are at the start of the archive web pages.  For example your e-mail
here I'm replying to begins like this if you look at the page source:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg00554.php
<!-- MHonArc v2.6.16 -->

I was thinking of writing something that scraped the archives building a
lookup table out of this information.  What would be nice is if the
X-Message-Id and X-Reference were both put into the regular HTML for
future archived messages so that it's more likely tools like Google could
search based on them.  A brief glance at the MHonArc documentation
suggests that could be run to re-covert any existing messages that are
still available in order to add to those even.

Re: Commit fest?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Oh, what I would really like is to be able to pull up
>> archives.postgresql.org emails based on message id so I can link to
>> the entire thread.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work there, nor does
>> Google or any of the other Postgres email archive sites.
>
> This is something I've been looking into my own organization.  The
> message ids are at the start of the archive web pages.  For example your
> e-mail here I'm replying to begins like this if you look at the page
> source:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg00554.php
> <!-- MHonArc v2.6.16 -->
>
> I was thinking of writing something that scraped the archives building a
> lookup table out of this information.  What would be nice is if the
> X-Message-Id and X-Reference were both put into the regular HTML for
> future archived messages so that it's more likely tools like Google
> could search based on them.  A brief glance at the MHonArc documentation
> suggests that could be run to re-covert any existing messages that are
> still available in order to add to those even.

We are sucking a lot of this data down to the db on
search.postgresql.org already. Does it make sense to do it there
perhaps? Is there need for anything more than a unique-messageid-hit? If
that's all we need, we could easily have an url like
http://search.postgresql.org/search?msgid=19873987123@foo.com redirect
to the proper page on archives?

//Magnus

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Oh, what I would really like is to be able to pull up
> > archives.postgresql.org emails based on message id so I can link to the
> > entire thread.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work there, nor does Google or
> > any of the other Postgres email archive sites.
>
> This is something I've been looking into my own organization.  The message
> ids are at the start of the archive web pages.  For example your e-mail
> here I'm replying to begins like this if you look at the page source:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg00554.php
> <!-- MHonArc v2.6.16 -->
>
> I was thinking of writing something that scraped the archives building a
> lookup table out of this information.  What would be nice is if the
> X-Message-Id and X-Reference were both put into the regular HTML for
> future archived messages so that it's more likely tools like Google could
> search based on them.  A brief glance at the MHonArc documentation
> suggests that could be run to re-covert any existing messages that are
> still available in order to add to those even.

Yep, also you can pull my comments by using the message id, e.g.:
 http://js-kit.com/rss/momjian.us/msgid-1195396974.4217.13.camel@ebony.site

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > I was thinking of writing something that scraped the archives building a
> > lookup table out of this information.  What would be nice is if the
> > X-Message-Id and X-Reference were both put into the regular HTML for
> > future archived messages so that it's more likely tools like Google
> > could search based on them.  A brief glance at the MHonArc documentation
> > suggests that could be run to re-covert any existing messages that are
> > still available in order to add to those even.
>
> We are sucking a lot of this data down to the db on
> search.postgresql.org already. Does it make sense to do it there
> perhaps? Is there need for anything more than a unique-messageid-hit? If
> that's all we need, we could easily have an url like
> http://search.postgresql.org/search?msgid=19873987123@foo.com redirect
> to the proper page on archives?

Agreed, we just need search to index the message-id line and we can link
to that easily.

Date:
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> We are sucking a lot of this data down to the db on
>> search.postgresql.org already. Does it make sense to do it there
>> perhaps? Is there need for anything more than a unique-messageid-hit? If
>> that's all we need, we could easily have an url like
>> http://search.postgresql.org/search?msgid=19873987123@foo.com redirect
>> to the proper page on archives?
>
> Agreed, we just need search to index the message-id line and we can link
> to that easily.

I would very much like such a URL as well. At a guess it would require hacking
the tsearch parser we use for the search engine on the web site?

Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> We are sucking a lot of this data down to the db on
>>> search.postgresql.org already. Does it make sense to do it there
>>> perhaps? Is there need for anything more than a unique-messageid-hit? If
>>> that's all we need, we could easily have an url like
>>> http://search.postgresql.org/search?msgid=19873987123@foo.com redirect
>>> to the proper page on archives?
>> Agreed, we just need search to index the message-id line and we can link
>> to that easily.
>
> I would very much like such a URL as well. At a guess it would require hacking
> the tsearch parser we use for the search engine on the web site?

No, it requires hacking the indexing script, and we'll store the
messageid in it's own column in the table.

//Magnus

Re: Commit fest?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

First, the new comment interface doesn't work on Konqueror/Safari, which is
the problem I think many people are having.  Use firefox instead.

Second, I plan to do a wiki-level summary of pending patches for the 2nd
commit fest.  For the first one, raw data wasn't available before the
official start of the Fest, and now things are changing too fast for me to
keep up.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Commit fest?

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> We are sucking a lot of this data down to the db on search.postgresql.org
> already. Does it make sense to do it there perhaps?

No, using the database for this sort of thing is so old-school at this
point.  Didn't you hear that good web applications abstract away the
database so you don't have to worry about what's in there?  The right way
to handle this is to push the entire archive through the client each time
so it can make rich decisions about the data instead.  I hear Ruby on
Rails is a good tool for this.

> Is there need for anything more than a unique-messageid-hit? If that's
> all we need, we could easily have an url like
> http://search.postgresql.org/search?msgid=19873987123@foo.com redirect
> to the proper page on archives?

That would be perfect.  I'd like to be able to replace my saved mailbox
with a web page containing links to the archives instead, and that would
be easy to do with that support.  Bruce's requirements have a similar
mapping job to accomplish, and I could imagine a useful app for that area
that consumed an mbox file and output a page of wiki markup.  Why, the
patch queue is practically on a wiki already!

Re: Commit fest?

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:

> >> Agreed, we just need search to index the message-id line and we can link
> >> to that easily.
> >
> > I would very much like such a URL as well. At a guess it would require hacking
> > the tsearch parser we use for the search engine on the web site?
>
> No, it requires hacking the indexing script, and we'll store the
> messageid in it's own column in the table.

Yea, it would be nice if we could do it.

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> First, the new comment interface doesn't work on Konqueror/Safari, which is
> the problem I think many people are having.  Use firefox instead.

Can't say about Konqueror, but the comments work fine in Safari (as
long as you don't turn off Javascript).
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest?

Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > First, the new comment interface doesn't work on Konqueror/Safari, which is
> > the problem I think many people are having.  Use firefox instead.
>
> Can't say about Konqueror, but the comments work fine in Safari (as
> long as you don't turn off Javascript).

I wonder if part of the problem is that the javascript file is not on
momjian.us but on another server --- I can imagine some browsers
thinking that is a security issue.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com