RIP: Buildfarm member Baiji ??

From
Dave Page
Date:
Completely off-topic I know, but I felt I had to mention this one...

The buildfarm machine known as Baiji runs on a PC sat next to my desk.
About 30 minutes ago, a breaker tripped, leaving the office without it's
ring main, consequently shutting down Baiji rather ungracefully.

We get the power fixed, and the monitor my laptop is connected to
springs into life showing the front page of The Register. Quick F5
later, and the top story is this one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/yangtze_dolphin_extinct/

Coincidence? Or a sign from $DEITY?

/D

Re: RIP: Buildfarm member Baiji ??

From
Andrew Dunstan

Dave Page wrote:
> Completely off-topic I know, but I felt I had to mention this one...
>
> The buildfarm machine known as Baiji runs on a PC sat next to my desk.
> About 30 minutes ago, a breaker tripped, leaving the office without it's
> ring main, consequently shutting down Baiji rather ungracefully.
>
> We get the power fixed, and the monitor my laptop is connected to
> springs into life showing the front page of The Register. Quick F5
> later, and the top story is this one:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/yangtze_dolphin_extinct/
>
> Coincidence? Or a sign from $DEITY?

The extinction of a dolphin ... sign of things to come?

OTOH, we know elephants are long lived ...

cheers

andrew

Re: RIP: Buildfarm member Baiji ??

Date:
Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/yangtze_dolphin_extinct/
> Coincidence? Or a sign from $DEITY?

Speaking of baiji ... why has it been failing, with nothing at all in
the log, for the last month?
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/yangtze_dolphin_extinct/
>> Coincidence? Or a sign from $DEITY?
>
> Speaking of baiji ... why has it been failing, with nothing at all in
> the log, for the last month?

Hmm, did realise it had been - sorry. There's no obvious signs here -
I'm running a manual build now...

Dave Page wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/yangtze_dolphin_extinct/
>>> Coincidence? Or a sign from $DEITY?
>> Speaking of baiji ... why has it been failing, with nothing at all in
>> the log, for the last month?
>
> Hmm, did realise it had been - sorry. There's no obvious signs here -
> I'm running a manual build now...

OK, so it falls over with a message box saying:

The procedure entry point krb5_auth_con_getrecvsubkey could not be
located in the dynamic link library krb5_32.dll

The problem has been plaguing my machines ever since the gssapi patch
went in as some of the apps in the path use older versions of that dll
without that function (which we didn't use before). I'll need to do some
dll juggling to sort it.

Regards, Dave.

Re: RIP: Buildfarm member Baiji ??

From
Chris Mair
Date:
> The extinction of a dolphin ... sign of things to come?

I've got a dolphin too (somebody's doing this on purpose ;):
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=tucuxi&br=HEAD

A few hours ago I realized the vmware instance it's running in had
been suspended in a snapshot for the last few days...

1 extinct, 1 in coma ->  not going too well for dolphins these days ;)

Bye,
Chris.