Memory leak in vac_update_relstats ?

From
"Pavan Deolasee"
Date:
on*/<br /> ctup = SearchSysCacheCopy(RELOID,<br />                              ObjectIdGetDatum(relid),<br
href="http://www.enterprisedb.com">http://www.enterprisedb.com</a>

Re: Memory leak in vac_update_relstats ?

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> Are we leaking memory in vac_update_relstats ?
>
> /* Fetch a copy of the tuple to scribble on */
> ctup = SearchSysCacheCopy(RELOID,
>                              ObjectIdGetDatum(relid),
>                              0, 0, 0);
>
> This copy is not subsequently freed in the function.

It's palloc'd in the current memory context, so it's not serious. It'll
be freed at the end of the transaction, if not before that. That's the
beauty of memory contexts; no need to worry about small allocations like
that.

Re: Memory leak in vac_update_relstats ?

From
NikhilS
Date:
Hi,

It's palloc'd in the current memory context, so it's not serious. It'll
be freed at the end of the transaction, if not before that. That's the
beauty of memory contexts; no need to worry about small allocations like
that.

That's the beauty of memory contexts for small allocations. But because of the 'convenience' of memory contexts we sometimes tend to not pay attention to doing explicit pfrees. As a general rule I think allocations in TopMemoryContext should be critically examined. I was bitten by this undue bloat recently while developing some code and valgrind is not of much help in such cases because of this very beauty of memory contexts :).

Regards,
Nikhils

--
EnterpriseDB               http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Memory leak in vac_update_relstats ?

From
NikhilS
Date:
Hi,

That's the beauty of memory contexts for small allocations. But because of the 'convenience' of memory contexts we sometimes tend to not pay attention to doing explicit pfrees. As a general rule I think allocations in TopMemoryContext should be critically examined. I was bitten by this undue bloat recently while developing some code and valgrind is not of much help in such cases because of this very beauty of memory contexts :).

One specific case I want to mention here is hash_create(). For local hash tables if HASH_CONTEXT is not specified, they get created in a context which becomes a direct child of TopMemoryContext. Wouldn't it be a better idea to create the table in CurrentMemoryContext?

If hash_destroy() is not explicitly invoked, this can cause a lot of bloat especially if the intention was to use the hash table only for a while.

Regards,
Nikhils

Regards,
Nikhils

--

Date:
NikhilS <nikkhils@gmail.com> writes:
> One specific case I want to mention here is hash_create(). For local hash
> tables if HASH_CONTEXT is not specified, they get created in a context which
> becomes a direct child of TopMemoryContext. Wouldn't it be a better idea to
> create the table in CurrentMemoryContext?

It works that way partly for historical reasons and mostly because the
vast majority of dynahash uses are for long-lived hash tables (a quick
search says that a default of CurrentMemoryContext would be correct for
only about one in ten of the current callers).  I don't see any value in
changing it.
        regards, tom lane

On 7/20/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> Are we leaking memory in vac_update_relstats ?
>
> /* Fetch a copy of the tuple to scribble on */
> ctup = SearchSysCacheCopy(RELOID,
>                              ObjectIdGetDatum(relid),
>                              0, 0, 0);
>
> This copy is not subsequently freed in the function.

It's palloc'd in the current memory context, so it's not serious. It'll
be freed at the end of the transaction, if not before that. That's the
beauty of memory contexts; no need to worry about small allocations like
that.

Right. But may be for code completeness, we should add that
missing heap_freetuple.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee

Date:
"Pavan Deolasee" <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> writes:
> On 7/20/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> It's palloc'd in the current memory context, so it's not serious.

> Right. But may be for code completeness, we should add that
> missing heap_freetuple.

Personally I've been thinking of mounting an effort to get rid of
unnecessary pfree's wherever possible.  Particularly in user-defined
functions, "cleaning up" at the end is a waste of code space and
cycles too, because they're typically called in contexts that are
going to be reset immediately afterward.

In the case of vac_update_relstats, it's called only once per
transaction, so there's certainly no point in being a neatnik.
Stuff you need to worry about is functions that might be called
many times in the same memory context.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Memory leak in vac_update_relstats ?

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Personally I've been thinking of mounting an effort to get rid of
> unnecessary pfree's wherever possible.  Particularly in user-defined
> functions, "cleaning up" at the end is a waste of code space and
> cycles too, because they're typically called in contexts that are
> going to be reset immediately afterward.

It seems like the impact of this is self-limiting though. The worst-case is
going to be something which executes an extra pfree for every tuple. Or
perhaps one for every expression in a complex query involving lots of
expressions. Saving a few extra pfrees per tuple isn't really going to buy
many cpu cycles.

> In the case of vac_update_relstats, it's called only once per
> transaction, so there's certainly no point in being a neatnik.
> Stuff you need to worry about is functions that might be called
> many times in the same memory context.

Fwiw there are user-space functions that can't leak memory. I'm sure everyone
knows about btree operators, but pgsql also assumes that type input and output
functions don't leak memory too (or else assignment leaks memory in the
function scope memory context and in a loop...).

Re: Memory leak in vac_update_relstats ?

Date:
> It seems like the impact of this is self-limiting though. The worst-case is
> going to be something which executes an extra pfree for every tuple. Or
> perhaps one for every expression in a complex query involving lots of
> expressions. Saving a few extra pfrees per tuple isn't really going to buy
> many cpu cycles.

I can't tell you how many profiles I've looked at in which palloc/pfree
were *the* dominant consumers of CPU cycles.  I'm not sure how much
could be saved this particular way, but I wouldn't dismiss it as
uninteresting.  I've actually thought about making short-term memory
contexts use a variant MemoryContext type in which pfree was a no-op and
palloc was simplified by not worrying at all about recycling space.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Memory leak in vac_update_relstats ?

From
Andrew Dunstan

Tom Lane wrote:
> I've actually thought about making short-term memory
> contexts use a variant MemoryContext type in which pfree was a no-op and
> palloc was simplified by not worrying at all about recycling space.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

cheers

andrew

Tom Lane wrote:
> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> It seems like the impact of this is self-limiting though. The worst-case is
>> going to be something which executes an extra pfree for every tuple. Or
>> perhaps one for every expression in a complex query involving lots of
>> expressions. Saving a few extra pfrees per tuple isn't really going to buy
>> many cpu cycles.
>
> I can't tell you how many profiles I've looked at in which palloc/pfree
> were *the* dominant consumers of CPU cycles.  I'm not sure how much
> could be saved this particular way, but I wouldn't dismiss it as
> uninteresting.  I've actually thought about making short-term memory
> contexts use a variant MemoryContext type in which pfree was a no-op and
> palloc was simplified by not worrying at all about recycling space.

I played with such a beast last winter. It suits the parser particularly
well, it does a lot of tiny allocations that are all freed together, and
palloc is at the top of the CPU profile. My implementation was a simple
stack-like allocator, with a no-op pfree. I got carried away with other
stuff, but I remember that one difficulty was using a different memory
context for the parser because of the hack in PreventTransactionChain
that checked if a piece of memory was allocated in QueryContext. I'm
glad it's gone.