Managing the community information stream

Date:
Let me give you my approach to tracking.  It might help set the stage
for moving forward.  My goal has always been to foster discussion and
pull as many TODO items and patches from the discussion as possible (and
others do that as well by saying "Please add to TODO" or applying
patches).

I see the process much more as pulling things from a stream of data,
rather than tracking every event.  We already record everything in the
archive.  The current discussion is how and who should summarize/track
that information.

Right now, the TODO list is a good summary, and URLs help to give
detail.  I am not sure seeing all treads of a TODO item would help.  In
a way, the summarization is more valuable than the details for most
people.  Again, the question is what is the cost of summarizing the
stream at a more detailed level vs. its value.

Because I see us operating on a stream, it is unclear when to
pull an item from the stream and track it off-stream, such as in a bug
tracker database.  I am also concerned that tracking itself not inhibit
the volume of the stream, particularly if discussion participants have
to do something more difficult than what they do now.

The idea of the patch number in the subject line works with that
streaming model because it merely marks streams so they can be grouped.
The defining event that marks the stream is a post to the patches list.
We already number posts to the bugs list, so in a way we could improve
tracking there and somehow link it to TODO items and patch submissions,
but because many TODO items are not the result of bug reports but come
out of general discussions, I am not sure tracking would work as well
there.  And what about features?  Do you start assigning numbers there,
and what is your trigger event?  In my opinion, as you start trying to
place more structure on the stream, the stream itself starts to degrade
in its dynamism and ease of use.  To me, that is the fundamental issue,
and risk.

I think a lot of this relates to the volume of work we do per
participant.  I think we are probably near the top for open source
projects, and while more detailed tracking might help, it also might
hurt.

I am hoping the "stream" analogy might help people understand why we do
what we do, why we are so successful, and how we can improve what we
currently have.

-- Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
Dave Page
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The idea of the patch number in the subject line works with that
> streaming model because it merely marks streams so they can be grouped.
> The defining event that marks the stream is a post to the patches list.
> We already number posts to the bugs list, so in a way we could improve
> tracking there and somehow link it to TODO items and patch submissions,
> but because many TODO items are not the result of bug reports but come
> out of general discussions, I am not sure tracking would work as well
> there.  And what about features?  Do you start assigning numbers there,
> and what is your trigger event?  In my opinion, as you start trying to
> place more structure on the stream, the stream itself starts to degrade
> in its dynamism and ease of use.  To me, that is the fundamental issue,
> and risk.

Bruce,

I cannot really add to that except to say that you neatly summarized
what I've completely failed to in my last few emails to Andrew. I agree
completely.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
Andrew Dunstan

Dave Page wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> The idea of the patch number in the subject line works with that
>> streaming model because it merely marks streams so they can be grouped.
>> The defining event that marks the stream is a post to the patches list.
>> We already number posts to the bugs list, so in a way we could improve
>> tracking there and somehow link it to TODO items and patch submissions,
>> but because many TODO items are not the result of bug reports but come
>> out of general discussions, I am not sure tracking would work as well
>> there.  And what about features?  Do you start assigning numbers there,
>> and what is your trigger event?  In my opinion, as you start trying to
>> place more structure on the stream, the stream itself starts to degrade
>> in its dynamism and ease of use.  To me, that is the fundamental issue,
>> and risk.
>
> Bruce,
>
> I cannot really add to that except to say that you neatly summarized
> what I've completely failed to in my last few emails to Andrew. I
> agree completely.

Frankly, this strikes me as painting lipstick on a pig.

Try searching the mailing list archives to find information. It's hard.
It sucks badly. So often you have to post a query on a mailing list,
which you have to join unless you want your query to sit in limbo for
days. If you think this is treating users nicely then you have a
different idea from me of what that means. Yes, what I'm proposing means
work, and no it can't be fully automated. That doesn't mean it's not
worth doing.

Case 1 (bug): Recently I had a problem with Gaim/Pidgin on my fc6 boxes.
I went to the bug site, clicked a few buttons and found that our own
Devrim Gunduz had reported the problem. Later, when I found out some
more information, I went back and added it to the bug. When the
RedHat/Fedora guys get around to fixing it they will know what the
problem is and what the solution is. They will have all the info
gathered in one spot.

Case 2 (feature): Several years ago I wanted to find out what had
happened about BZ support for Postgres. It was in their roadmap doc, so
I went and looked at the tracking item. Nothing seemed to be happening,
so I asked. Then I reviewed the patches (plural, note - another reason
why tracking patches rather than action items is not necessarily good)
that related to the item. I didn't like the direction they were going so
I did some work and proposed an alternative. That got picked up by Ed
Sobol and Max Kanat-Alexander (iirc) and the result is that today there
is full support for Postgres in BZ mainline. If someone wants to review
the history it is all there, with patches and comments all gathered neatly.

Oh, the answer to Bruce's question about when to create a feature item?
You could well do it at the time when today you create a TODO item.
However, we might even do better. For example, we might well add feature
requests that are denied. That would help people to see if something has
been proposed before.

I could go on but I'm actually trying to get some code written today :-)

cheers

andrew

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On May 6, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Oh, the answer to Bruce's question about when to create a feature
> item? You could well do it at the time when today you create a TODO
> item. However, we might even do better. For example, we might well
> add feature requests that are denied. That would help people to see
> if something has been proposed before.

The problem with our current TODO process is that whether an item
makes it onto the list is essentially determined by did the idea
catch a committer's attention, and did that committer happen to think
it was a good idea. That sets the bar pretty high for getting stuff
on the list (which you need for a simple list like TODO), but it also
means it's very subjective. (Of course 98% of the time that committer
is Bruce, but I don't think that matters here...)

The subjectivity is because we don't have an effective means to get
information about how PostgreSQL is used in the field. Sometimes you
can mine that information out of the archives, but that's a pretty
tedious process (and therefor one that's unlikely to happen). But
that's also not necessarily representative... many people will try
and find an answer to something on their own and not post anything to
the lists at all, even if the 'answer' they find isn't very optimal.

Instead, if all feature requests are tracked then users can vote on
what's most important to them. That provides immediate feedback to
the community on how important something is to the users. http://
lnk.nu/bugzilla.mozilla.org/edc.cgi is an example of that for Firefox.

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 07:36:55AM -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:

> Instead, if all feature requests are tracked then users can vote on
> what's most important to them.

I am sympathetic to the issues you and Andrew are describing (I
understand Bruce's stream analogy, but I think Andrew is right that
from the user's point of view, it's not usable).  But I am not
convinced that users voting on desired features will get us the
users' desired features.  The features we get are mostly the features
that have attracted developers.  The method by which that attraction
happens is interesting, but I don't think it's democratic.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.    --Bruce Schneier

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 07:36:55AM -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
>

>> Instead, if all feature requests are tracked then users can vote on
>> what's most important to them.
>>

> I am sympathetic to the issues you and Andrew are describing (I
> understand Bruce's stream analogy, but I think Andrew is right that
> from the user's point of view, it's not usable).  But I am not
> convinced that users voting on desired features will get us the
> users' desired features.  The features we get are mostly the features
> that have attracted developers.  The method by which that attraction
> happens is interesting, but I don't think it's democratic.

Getting votes might provide a useful point of information, not a way of
making decisions, though.

I certainly don't regard it as a must-have feature.

cheers

andrew

Date:
On May 8, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 07:36:55AM -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> Instead, if all feature requests are tracked then users can vote on
>> what's most important to them.
>
> I am sympathetic to the issues you and Andrew are describing (I
> understand Bruce's stream analogy, but I think Andrew is right that
> from the user's point of view, it's not usable).  But I am not
> convinced that users voting on desired features will get us the
> users' desired features.  The features we get are mostly the features
> that have attracted developers.  The method by which that attraction
> happens is interesting, but I don't think it's democratic.

It may... it may not. If a high-demand feature sits around long
enough it could well attract someone capable of working on it, but
who isn't a current contributor. Or it could attract a bounty.

I'm also not sure if PostgreSQL is quite the same as other OSS
projects. My impression is that we have quite a few developers who no
longer do much if any database development (ie: they're not serious
users); they continue to contribute because of other reasons. I
suspect developers like that are not unlikely to scratch an itch that
isn't their own.

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Jim Nasby wrote:
> On May 8, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 07:36:55AM -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
>>> Instead, if all feature requests are tracked then users can vote on
>>> what's most important to them.
>>
>> I am sympathetic to the issues you and Andrew are describing (I
>> understand Bruce's stream analogy, but I think Andrew is right that
>> from the user's point of view, it's not usable).  But I am not
>> convinced that users voting on desired features will get us the
>> users' desired features.  The features we get are mostly the features
>> that have attracted developers.  The method by which that attraction
>> happens is interesting, but I don't think it's democratic.
>
> It may... it may not. If a high-demand feature sits around long enough
> it could well attract someone capable of working on it, but who isn't a
> current contributor. Or it could attract a bounty.

Also keep in mind that many of the developers are working for companies
that ensure that resources get allocated according to what users need
and not only by what developers are motivated to work on.

That being said, it seems obvious that so far PostgreSQL has been mainly
driven by what developers feel like implementing. I think this is also
what ensured the high level of standards compliance of PostgreSQL, since
features were tailored for experienced DBA types, rather than end users
that are less experienced in how to leverage these standards.

regards,
Lukas

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Hi,

guess I missed hackers on my initial reply. So I am re-sending the reply
I send to Joshua based on the reply I send to him in regards to a
hackers@ posting.

Read below.

regards,
Lukas

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> That being said, it seems obvious that so far PostgreSQL has been
>> mainly driven by what developers feel like implementing. I think this
>> is also what ensured the high level of standards compliance of
>> PostgreSQL, since features were tailored for experienced DBA types,
>> rather than end users that are less experienced in how to leverage
>> these standards.
>
> PostgreSQL has *never* been developed with the DBA in mind. Keep in mind
> that most of the postgresql developers have *zero* real world
> experience. Nor do they run postgresql themselves in real world
> production environments.

Well, certainly more with a DBA in mind than a middle tier developer?

regards,
Lukas

PS: Did you mean to only reply to me?

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jim,

> I am sympathetic to the issues you and Andrew are describing (I
> understand Bruce's stream analogy, but I think Andrew is right that
> from the user's point of view, it's not usable).  But I am not
> convinced that users voting on desired features will get us the
> users' desired features.  The features we get are mostly the features
> that have attracted developers.  The method by which that attraction
> happens is interesting, but I don't think it's democratic.

Further, our community has always operated by consensus and public
mailing list poll when applicable, and not by "majority rules" vote or
anything similar.  The only advantage I can see to allowing "voting" on
TODOs would be to quickly answer the question "does anyone t all care
about this", but I personally am not convinced that offering
Bugzilla-style voting would help that at all.  On other projects, my
experience is that people don't use the BZ voting, even projects which
otherwise use BZ extensively.

--Josh Berkus

Jim Nasby wrote:
> On May 6, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > Oh, the answer to Bruce's question about when to create a feature
> > item? You could well do it at the time when today you create a TODO
> > item. However, we might even do better. For example, we might well
> > add feature requests that are denied. That would help people to see
> > if something has been proposed before.
>
> The problem with our current TODO process is that whether an item
> makes it onto the list is essentially determined by did the idea
> catch a committer's attention, and did that committer happen to think
> it was a good idea. That sets the bar pretty high for getting stuff
> on the list (which you need for a simple list like TODO), but it also
> means it's very subjective. (Of course 98% of the time that committer
> is Bruce, but I don't think that matters here...)

Users often request items be added to the TODO list, and I usually comply.

Jim Nasby wrote:
> On May 6, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > Oh, the answer to Bruce's question about when to create a feature
> > item? You could well do it at the time when today you create a TODO
> > item. However, we might even do better. For example, we might well
> > add feature requests that are denied. That would help people to see
> > if something has been proposed before.

Uh, TODO has that:
Features We Do _Not_ Want

Do we need more items on that list?

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Managing the community information stream

Date:
To follow up on Andrew's idea of tracking things back to the TODO or bug
number:

We could have a universal developer number, something like PGD#23432 as
a PostgreSQL Developer number.  We could assign them for submissions to
the bugs list, where we already assign a number.  I could easily add
them to TODO items that already don't have a number from the bugs list,
and we could use the number for postings to the patches list that again
don't already have a number.  (The PGD numbers would have value ranges
assigned for specific uses, like 0-100000 are bugs, 100001-200000 are
assigned as TODO items, +300000 are patches, etc.)

The idea is that if you are working on a TODO item you mention that
number in the email subject discussing it, and for postings to the
patches list.  A web application could then read from the email stream
and pull out information about any item.  The only overhead is people
mentioning the assigned number consistently.

One problem is that our development isn't linear --- often TODO items
are the result of several email threads, and TODO items are split and
merged regularly, meaning that a PGD number could be partially complete
or be merged with another number.  When this happens, the number might
cause confusion, and I don't see a way to fix that easily.

Dave Page wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The idea of the patch number in the subject line works with that
> > streaming model because it merely marks streams so they can be grouped.
> > The defining event that marks the stream is a post to the patches list.
> > We already number posts to the bugs list, so in a way we could improve
> > tracking there and somehow link it to TODO items and patch submissions,
> > but because many TODO items are not the result of bug reports but come
> > out of general discussions, I am not sure tracking would work as well
> > there.  And what about features?  Do you start assigning numbers there,
> > and what is your trigger event?  In my opinion, as you start trying to
> > place more structure on the stream, the stream itself starts to degrade
> > in its dynamism and ease of use.  To me, that is the fundamental issue,
> > and risk.
>
> Bruce,
>
> I cannot really add to that except to say that you neatly summarized
> what I've completely failed to in my last few emails to Andrew. I agree
> completely.
>
> Regards, Dave.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Managing the community information stream

Date:
To follow up on this, if you look at how TODO items are created, they
often come out of discussion threads, and sometimes more than one idea
comes from a discussion thread.  If we moved to a trackers system, how
would we handle that?

Also, if I want to discuss renaming something or cleaning up some code,
do we create a tracker item for that or do we have a developer email
list to discuss such issues?  And if we have a developer email list, how
do we make sure everything that happens there gets into the tracker if
needed?

Basically, right now, the steam ignores non-TODO items that are
discussed, while with a trackers, I am afraid you have to explicitly
mark every discussion thread as uninteresting/closed, and I am worried
about the manpower and participant overhead of doing that.

bruce wrote:
> Let me give you my approach to tracking.  It might help set the stage
> for moving forward.  My goal has always been to foster discussion and
> pull as many TODO items and patches from the discussion as possible (and
> others do that as well by saying "Please add to TODO" or applying
> patches).
>
> I see the process much more as pulling things from a stream of data,
> rather than tracking every event.  We already record everything in the
> archive.  The current discussion is how and who should summarize/track
> that information.
>
> Right now, the TODO list is a good summary, and URLs help to give
> detail.  I am not sure seeing all treads of a TODO item would help.  In
> a way, the summarization is more valuable than the details for most
> people.  Again, the question is what is the cost of summarizing the
> stream at a more detailed level vs. its value.
>
> Because I see us operating on a stream, it is unclear when to
> pull an item from the stream and track it off-stream, such as in a bug
> tracker database.  I am also concerned that tracking itself not inhibit
> the volume of the stream, particularly if discussion participants have
> to do something more difficult than what they do now.
>
> The idea of the patch number in the subject line works with that
> streaming model because it merely marks streams so they can be grouped.
> The defining event that marks the stream is a post to the patches list.
> We already number posts to the bugs list, so in a way we could improve
> tracking there and somehow link it to TODO items and patch submissions,
> but because many TODO items are not the result of bug reports but come
> out of general discussions, I am not sure tracking would work as well
> there.  And what about features?  Do you start assigning numbers there,
> and what is your trigger event?  In my opinion, as you start trying to
> place more structure on the stream, the stream itself starts to degrade
> in its dynamism and ease of use.  To me, that is the fundamental issue,
> and risk.
>
> I think a lot of this relates to the volume of work we do per
> participant.  I think we are probably near the top for open source
> projects, and while more detailed tracking might help, it also might
> hurt.
>
> I am hoping the "stream" analogy might help people understand why we do
> what we do, why we are so successful, and how we can improve what we
> currently have.
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us
>   EnterpriseDB                               http://www.enterprisedb.com
>
>   + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> To follow up on this, if you look at how TODO items are created, they
> often come out of discussion threads, and sometimes more than one idea
> comes from a discussion thread.  If we moved to a trackers system, how
> would we handle that?

We have the discussion on list, if it warrants a todo, we create a todo.

> Also, if I want to discuss renaming something or cleaning up some code,
> do we create a tracker item for that or do we have a developer email
> list to discuss such issues?

In the most conformist sense yes, but I can tell you that generally
isn't how CMD does it. How we general do it, is to create a ticket basic
on a topic, that ticket cc's a mailing list and discussion happens in
reply to that cc. So the workflow doesn't actually change. Once
everything is decided we may update the ticket with the final solution,
and then when the work is done we close the ticket.

However, we do it the way we do, because we don't have email
integration. Supposedly (which a small group is currently reviewing) BZ
3.0 does have email integration so this may change a bit.

> And if we have a developer email list, how
> do we make sure everything that happens there gets into the tracker if
> needed?

See above.

> Basically, right now, the steam ignores non-TODO items that are
> discussed, while with a trackers, I am afraid you have to explicitly
> mark every discussion thread as uninteresting/closed, and I am worried
> about the manpower and participant overhead of doing that.

Oh good lord, yeah I wouldn't want to do that either. Email is obviously
going to be the predominant medium of communication. I think what would
end up happening, if we were able to tightly integrate with email and bz
would that at some point all discussions die off, it would be up to the
person that opened the discussion or an bz admin to close or change the
status of the ticket.

The nice thing is if someone comes back to the thread at any point
(which happens all the time) the ticket should automatically re-open.

Joshua D. Drake

> bruce wrote:
>> Let me give you my approach to tracking.  It might help set the stage
>> for moving forward.  My goal has always been to foster discussion and
>> pull as many TODO items and patches from the discussion as possible (and
>> others do that as well by saying "Please add to TODO" or applying
>> patches).
>>
>> I see the process much more as pulling things from a stream of data,
>> rather than tracking every event.  We already record everything in the
>> archive.  The current discussion is how and who should summarize/track
>> that information.
>>
>> Right now, the TODO list is a good summary, and URLs help to give
>> detail.  I am not sure seeing all treads of a TODO item would help.  In
>> a way, the summarization is more valuable than the details for most
>> people.  Again, the question is what is the cost of summarizing the
>> stream at a more detailed level vs. its value.
>>
>> Because I see us operating on a stream, it is unclear when to
>> pull an item from the stream and track it off-stream, such as in a bug
>> tracker database.  I am also concerned that tracking itself not inhibit
>> the volume of the stream, particularly if discussion participants have
>> to do something more difficult than what they do now.
>>
>> The idea of the patch number in the subject line works with that
>> streaming model because it merely marks streams so they can be grouped.
>> The defining event that marks the stream is a post to the patches list.
>> We already number posts to the bugs list, so in a way we could improve
>> tracking there and somehow link it to TODO items and patch submissions,
>> but because many TODO items are not the result of bug reports but come
>> out of general discussions, I am not sure tracking would work as well
>> there.  And what about features?  Do you start assigning numbers there,
>> and what is your trigger event?  In my opinion, as you start trying to
>> place more structure on the stream, the stream itself starts to degrade
>> in its dynamism and ease of use.  To me, that is the fundamental issue,
>> and risk.
>>
>> I think a lot of this relates to the volume of work we do per
>> participant.  I think we are probably near the top for open source
>> projects, and while more detailed tracking might help, it also might
>> hurt.
>>
>> I am hoping the "stream" analogy might help people understand why we do
>> what we do, why we are so successful, and how we can improve what we
>> currently have.
>>
>> --
>>   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us
>>   EnterpriseDB                               http://www.enterprisedb.com
>>
>>   + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >Also, if I want to discuss renaming something or cleaning up some code,
> >do we create a tracker item for that or do we have a developer email
> >list to discuss such issues?
>
> In the most conformist sense yes, but I can tell you that generally
> isn't how CMD does it. How we general do it, is to create a ticket basic
> on a topic, that ticket cc's a mailing list and discussion happens in
> reply to that cc. So the workflow doesn't actually change. Once
> everything is decided we may update the ticket with the final solution,
> and then when the work is done we close the ticket.
>
> However, we do it the way we do, because we don't have email
> integration. Supposedly (which a small group is currently reviewing) BZ
> 3.0 does have email integration so this may change a bit.

Well, with email integration (as I am envisioning -- I don't know what
BZ actually implements) it is even better, because you just create a
ticket, and that sends an email to the list.  Other people can respond
to that email, which gets saved into the bug without need for further
action.

In Debian's bug tracking system, when the bug is created (which is done
by sending an email to a certain address) it gets a number, and the
email is distributed to certain lists.  People can then reply to that
mail, and send messages to 12345@bugs.debian.org and it gets tracked in
the bug, and you can see all those messages in the bug report.  I
ass-ume that BZ 3.0 does something similar.

Re: Managing the community information stream

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > >Also, if I want to discuss renaming something or cleaning up some code,
> > >do we create a tracker item for that or do we have a developer email
> > >list to discuss such issues?
> >
> > In the most conformist sense yes, but I can tell you that generally
> > isn't how CMD does it. How we general do it, is to create a ticket basic
> > on a topic, that ticket cc's a mailing list and discussion happens in
> > reply to that cc. So the workflow doesn't actually change. Once
> > everything is decided we may update the ticket with the final solution,
> > and then when the work is done we close the ticket.
> >
> > However, we do it the way we do, because we don't have email
> > integration. Supposedly (which a small group is currently reviewing) BZ
> > 3.0 does have email integration so this may change a bit.
>
> Well, with email integration (as I am envisioning -- I don't know what
> BZ actually implements) it is even better, because you just create a
> ticket, and that sends an email to the list.  Other people can respond
> to that email, which gets saved into the bug without need for further
> action.
>
> In Debian's bug tracking system, when the bug is created (which is done
> by sending an email to a certain address) it gets a number, and the
> email is distributed to certain lists.  People can then reply to that
> mail, and send messages to 12345@bugs.debian.org and it gets tracked in
> the bug, and you can see all those messages in the bug report.  I
> ass-ume that BZ 3.0 does something similar.

But often a TODO item has multiple threads containing details (often
months apart), and it isn't obvious at the time the thread is started
that this will happen.  Note the number of TODO items that now have
multiple URLs.  How is that handled?

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > In Debian's bug tracking system, when the bug is created (which is done
> > by sending an email to a certain address) it gets a number, and the
> > email is distributed to certain lists.  People can then reply to that
> > mail, and send messages to 12345@bugs.debian.org and it gets tracked in
> > the bug, and you can see all those messages in the bug report.  I
> > ass-ume that BZ 3.0 does something similar.
>
> But often a TODO item has multiple threads containing details (often
> months apart), and it isn't obvious at the time the thread is started
> that this will happen.  Note the number of TODO items that now have
> multiple URLs.  How is that handled?

Just add the bug address to CC and reply to it, just like when you reply
to say "added to TODO", only that you don't need to manually go and
modify the TODO file by hand.  The bug tracking system puts that mail
into the bug report.  Subsequent followups keep the bug address in CC
and thus the whole discussion is saved in the bug report.

This is even better than our archives due to the problem that the
archives don't have links to messages crossing month boundaries.  Have
you noticed that if you go to the archives, some discussions appear
truncated at a point, but you can go to the archive for the next month
and it continues there?  I find that artifact somewhat annoying.  The
bug report would continue receiving the CC'ed mails, so it would record
them all in a single place.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> In Debian's bug tracking system, when the bug is created (which is done
>> by sending an email to a certain address) it gets a number, and the
>> email is distributed to certain lists.  People can then reply to that
>> mail, and send messages to 12345@bugs.debian.org and it gets tracked in
>> the bug, and you can see all those messages in the bug report.  I
>> ass-ume that BZ 3.0 does something similar.
>
> But often a TODO item has multiple threads containing details (often
> months apart), and it isn't obvious at the time the thread is started
> that this will happen.  Note the number of TODO items that now have
> multiple URLs.  How is that handled?

Well you can certainly merge tickets, but one of the ideas would be to
help stop that :)...

Hey what about foo... oh we discussed that *here*...

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Managing the community information stream

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > > In Debian's bug tracking system, when the bug is created (which is done
> > > by sending an email to a certain address) it gets a number, and the
> > > email is distributed to certain lists.  People can then reply to that
> > > mail, and send messages to 12345@bugs.debian.org and it gets tracked in
> > > the bug, and you can see all those messages in the bug report.  I
> > > ass-ume that BZ 3.0 does something similar.
> >
> > But often a TODO item has multiple threads containing details (often
> > months apart), and it isn't obvious at the time the thread is started
> > that this will happen.  Note the number of TODO items that now have
> > multiple URLs.  How is that handled?
>
> Just add the bug address to CC and reply to it, just like when you reply
> to say "added to TODO", only that you don't need to manually go and
> modify the TODO file by hand.  The bug tracking system puts that mail
> into the bug report.  Subsequent followups keep the bug address in CC
> and thus the whole discussion is saved in the bug report.

Right, but you are adding the bug addresss at the end of the email
thread.  How do you point to the email you want to reference?

> This is even better than our archives due to the problem that the
> archives don't have links to messages crossing month boundaries.  Have
> you noticed that if you go to the archives, some discussions appear
> truncated at a point, but you can go to the archive for the next month
> and it continues there?  I find that artifact somewhat annoying.  The
> bug report would continue receiving the CC'ed mails, so it would record
> them all in a single place.

Not crossing month boundaries is super-annoying.

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >> In Debian's bug tracking system, when the bug is created (which is done
> >> by sending an email to a certain address) it gets a number, and the
> >> email is distributed to certain lists.  People can then reply to that
> >> mail, and send messages to 12345@bugs.debian.org and it gets tracked in
> >> the bug, and you can see all those messages in the bug report.  I
> >> ass-ume that BZ 3.0 does something similar.
> >
> > But often a TODO item has multiple threads containing details (often
> > months apart), and it isn't obvious at the time the thread is started
> > that this will happen.  Note the number of TODO items that now have
> > multiple URLs.  How is that handled?
>
> Well you can certainly merge tickets, but one of the ideas would be to
> help stop that :)...
>
> Hey what about foo... oh we discussed that *here*...

Our thought process is not linear --- often an item changes as our
surrounding code changes too.  The multiple URLs are not because no one
knows about the previous discussion.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 01:18:42PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > In Debian's bug tracking system, when the bug is created (which is done
> > by sending an email to a certain address) it gets a number, and the
> > email is distributed to certain lists.  People can then reply to that
> > mail, and send messages to 12345@bugs.debian.org and it gets tracked in
> > the bug, and you can see all those messages in the bug report.  I
> > ass-ume that BZ 3.0 does something similar.
>
> But often a TODO item has multiple threads containing details (often
> months apart), and it isn't obvious at the time the thread is started
> that this will happen.  Note the number of TODO items that now have
> multiple URLs.  How is that handled?

Worst-case, for those cases we add URLs to the tracker manually like you
do now. The big advantage is that most of the time that's not needed.
And in cases where it's not automatic we can grant any number of people
permission to add that information to the tracker, because that
permission wouldn't be tied to CVS commit privs.
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > But often a TODO item has multiple threads containing details (often
> > > months apart), and it isn't obvious at the time the thread is started
> > > that this will happen.  Note the number of TODO items that now have
> > > multiple URLs.  How is that handled?
> >
> > Just add the bug address to CC and reply to it, just like when you reply
> > to say "added to TODO", only that you don't need to manually go and
> > modify the TODO file by hand.  The bug tracking system puts that mail
> > into the bug report.  Subsequent followups keep the bug address in CC
> > and thus the whole discussion is saved in the bug report.
>
> Right, but you are adding the bug addresss at the end of the email
> thread.  How do you point to the email you want to reference?

I am not sure.  We will have to investigate more the capabilities of the
bug tracking system we intend to use.  In the worst case one could add
the URL for the archived message copy; second worst would be bouncing
(hopefully not forward) the interesting messages to the bug address.

If we had our own method for fetching a message by Message-Id, we could
add Message-Ids to bugs reports.  In the meantime we could use Gmane's.

Re: Managing the community information stream

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > Just add the bug address to CC and reply to it, just like when you reply
> > > to say "added to TODO", only that you don't need to manually go and
> > > modify the TODO file by hand.  The bug tracking system puts that mail
> > > into the bug report.  Subsequent followups keep the bug address in CC
> > > and thus the whole discussion is saved in the bug report.
> >
> > Right, but you are adding the bug addresss at the end of the email
> > thread.  How do you point to the email you want to reference?
>
> I am not sure.  We will have to investigate more the capabilities of the
> bug tracking system we intend to use.  In the worst case one could add
> the URL for the archived message copy; second worst would be bouncing
> (hopefully not forward) the interesting messages to the bug address.

Sounds like what I do with the TODO list now.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Right, but you are adding the bug addresss at the end of the email
> > > thread.  How do you point to the email you want to reference?
> >
> > I am not sure.  We will have to investigate more the capabilities of the
> > bug tracking system we intend to use.  In the worst case one could add
> > the URL for the archived message copy; second worst would be bouncing
> > (hopefully not forward) the interesting messages to the bug address.
>
> Sounds like what I do with the TODO list now.

Except that this is the *worst case* with the bug tracker, whereas for
the TODO list it is not only the worst case, it is also the best case
and the only case at all.

Re: Managing the community information stream

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > I am not sure.  We will have to investigate more the capabilities of the
> > > bug tracking system we intend to use.  In the worst case one could add
> > > the URL for the archived message copy; second worst would be bouncing
> > > (hopefully not forward) the interesting messages to the bug address.
> >
> > Sounds like what I do with the TODO list now.
>
> Except that this is the *worst case* with the bug tracker, whereas for
> the TODO list it is not only the worst case, it is also the best case
> and the only case at all.

And it requires no additional work to ignore threads.

Date:
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 10:46:50AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > I am not sure.  We will have to investigate more the capabilities of the
> > > bug tracking system we intend to use.  In the worst case one could add
> > > the URL for the archived message copy; second worst would be bouncing
> > > (hopefully not forward) the interesting messages to the bug address.
> >
> > Sounds like what I do with the TODO list now.
>
> Except that this is the *worst case* with the bug tracker, whereas for
> the TODO list it is not only the worst case, it is also the best case
> and the only case at all.

And any number of people can manage it (just like the wiki).
--

Date:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> This is even better than our archives due to the problem that the
>> archives don't have links to messages crossing month boundaries.  Have
>> you noticed that if you go to the archives, some discussions appear
>> truncated at a point, but you can go to the archive for the next month
>> and it continues there?  I find that artifact somewhat annoying.  The
>> bug report would continue receiving the CC'ed mails, so it would record
>> them all in a single place.

> Not crossing month boundaries is super-annoying.

Indeed, but that should be fixed.  I can't imagine that one
presumably-fixable deficiency is grounds for changing our entire
discussion infrastructure.  Or do you think we will find something
else that has no deficiencies of its own?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Managing the community information stream

Date:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> This is even better than our archives due to the problem that the
>> archives don't have links to messages crossing month boundaries.  Have
>> you noticed that if you go to the archives, some discussions appear
>> truncated at a point, but you can go to the archive for the next month
>> and it continues there?  I find that artifact somewhat annoying.  The
>> bug report would continue receiving the CC'ed mails, so it would record
>> them all in a single place.

> Not crossing month boundaries is super-annoying.

Indeed, but that should be fixed.  I can't imagine that one
presumably-fixable deficiency is grounds for changing our entire
discussion infrastructure.  Or do you think we will find something
else that has no deficiencies of its own?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Managing the community information stream

From
Magnus Hagander
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> This is even better than our archives due to the problem that the
>>> archives don't have links to messages crossing month boundaries.  Have
>>> you noticed that if you go to the archives, some discussions appear
>>> truncated at a point, but you can go to the archive for the next month
>>> and it continues there?  I find that artifact somewhat annoying.  The
>>> bug report would continue receiving the CC'ed mails, so it would record
>>> them all in a single place.
>
>> Not crossing month boundaries is super-annoying.
>
> Indeed, but that should be fixed.  I can't imagine that one
> presumably-fixable deficiency is grounds for changing our entire
> discussion infrastructure.  Or do you think we will find something
> else that has no deficiencies of its own?

Very much agreed, however, changing how it's done might open up ways to
change other things for the better - things we can't do now. But getting
rid of that annoying thing alone does not change anything else, or
require changing of anything else.

//Magnus