BSD advertizing clause in some files

Date:
Someone has pointed out that the following files have the 4-part BSD
copyright, which includes the advertising clause:

src/backend/port/darwin/system.csrc/backend/port/dynloader/freebsd.csrc/backend/port/dynloader/openbsd.csrc/backend/port/dynloader/netbsd.csrc/backend/utils/mb/wstrcmp.csrc/backend/utils/mb/wstrncmp.csrc/port/strtoul.csrc/port/getopt.csrc/port/getopt_long.csrc/port/inet_aton.csrc/port/strtol.csrc/port/snprintf.ccontrib/pgcrypto/blf.ccontrib/pgcrypto/blf.h

Because Berkeley has said the advertising clause is to be
ignored/removed, should we remove it from our files too?

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: BSD advertizing clause in some files

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Someone has pointed out that the following files have the 4-part BSD
> copyright, which includes the advertising clause:
>
>     src/backend/port/darwin/system.c
>     src/backend/port/dynloader/freebsd.c
>     src/backend/port/dynloader/openbsd.c
>     src/backend/port/dynloader/netbsd.c
>     src/backend/utils/mb/wstrcmp.c
>     src/backend/utils/mb/wstrncmp.c
>     src/port/strtoul.c
>     src/port/getopt.c
>     src/port/getopt_long.c
>     src/port/inet_aton.c
>     src/port/strtol.c
>     src/port/snprintf.c
>     contrib/pgcrypto/blf.c
>     contrib/pgcrypto/blf.h
>
> Because Berkeley has said the advertising clause is to be
> ignored/removed, should we remove it from our files too?

I don't think we *need* to remove it, but I agree we should remove it
for the sake of clarity. Note that the UC declaration only applies to
code that is copyright UC Berkeley -- which is most of the above files,
but not all of them (e.g. blf.c and blf.h are copyright Niels Provos).

Rather than removing the copyright clause per se, it might be better to
just update to the latest versions of these files in an upstream source
(e.g. NetBSD). They've already gone through their source tree and
updated the Berkeley copyrights as appropriate.

-Neil

Re: BSD advertizing clause in some files

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Someone has pointed out that the following files have the 4-part BSD
> copyright, which includes the advertising clause:
>
>     src/backend/port/darwin/system.c
>     src/backend/port/dynloader/freebsd.c
>     src/backend/port/dynloader/openbsd.c
>     src/backend/port/dynloader/netbsd.c
>     src/backend/utils/mb/wstrcmp.c
>     src/backend/utils/mb/wstrncmp.c
>     src/port/strtoul.c
>     src/port/getopt.c
>     src/port/getopt_long.c
>     src/port/inet_aton.c
>     src/port/strtol.c
>     src/port/snprintf.c
>     contrib/pgcrypto/blf.c
>     contrib/pgcrypto/blf.h
>
> Because Berkeley has said the advertising clause is to be
> ignored/removed, should we remove it from our files too?

Yes.

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: BSD advertizing clause in some files

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Rather than removing the copyright clause per se, it might be better to
> just update to the latest versions of these files in an upstream source
> (e.g. NetBSD). They've already gone through their source tree and
> updated the Berkeley copyrights as appropriate.

+1 ... that might buy us some functional improvements to justify the
effort ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: BSD advertizing clause in some files

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Someone has pointed out that the following files have the 4-part BSD
> > copyright, which includes the advertising clause:
> >
> >     src/backend/port/darwin/system.c
> >     src/backend/port/dynloader/freebsd.c
> >     src/backend/port/dynloader/openbsd.c
> >     src/backend/port/dynloader/netbsd.c
> >     src/backend/utils/mb/wstrcmp.c
> >     src/backend/utils/mb/wstrncmp.c
> >     src/port/strtoul.c
> >     src/port/getopt.c
> >     src/port/getopt_long.c
> >     src/port/inet_aton.c
> >     src/port/strtol.c
> >     src/port/snprintf.c
> >     contrib/pgcrypto/blf.c
> >     contrib/pgcrypto/blf.h
> >
> > Because Berkeley has said the advertising clause is to be
> > ignored/removed, should we remove it from our files too?
> >

> I don't think we *need* to remove it, but I agree we should remove it
> for the sake of clarity. Note that the UC declaration only applies to
> code that is copyright UC Berkeley -- which is most of the above files,
> but not all of them (e.g. blf.c and blf.h are copyright Niels Provos).
>
> Rather than removing the copyright clause per se, it might be better to
> just update to the latest versions of these files in an upstream source
> (e.g. NetBSD). They've already gone through their source tree and
> updated the Berkeley copyrights as appropriate.

I removed the advertising clause from all the BSD-copyrighted files from
Berkeley, namely all but */blf.*.  I didn't update them from upsteam
sources because some don't have clear upstream sources, and an update
isn't a trivial operation --- if we need to update, it should be
separate operation on all files, not just the ones with advertising
clauses.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: BSD advertizing clause in some files

From
"Marko Kreen"
Date:
On 3/27/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I removed the advertising clause from all the BSD-copyrighted files from
> Berkeley, namely all but */blf.*.

Their upstream is OpenBSD that still has same license.
NetBSD and FreeBSD have even worse versions with ssleay
license.

I think I need to find new upstream for them...

--
marko