where to add/change commands

From
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
Date:
Hi folks

I am trying to make CLUSTER command just a bit verbose,as an option
here. Added bits to gram.y that should support CLUSTER [VERBOSE] ...
but psql doesn't seem to pick it up.
Where else do I need to update it, besides gram.y, cluster.c and of
course adding new field to ClusterStmt.
I tried seaching the list for such hints, but didn't found anything
usefull.

thanks.

--
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
gj@pointblue.com.pl

C/C++ Freelance to hire.

Re: where to add/change commands

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
> I am trying to make CLUSTER command just a bit verbose,as an option
> here. Added bits to gram.y that should support CLUSTER [VERBOSE] ... but
> psql doesn't seem to pick it up.

psql? There's some code to detect commands that can't be run in a
transaction block in src/bin/psql/common.c, maybe that's what you're
looking for.

Or did you mean something else? How doesn't it "pick it up"?

Date:
On Mar 15, 2007, at 11:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
>> I am trying to make CLUSTER command just a bit verbose,as an
>> option here. Added bits to gram.y that should support CLUSTER
>> [VERBOSE] ... but psql doesn't seem to pick it up.
>
> psql? There's some code to detect commands that can't be run in a
> transaction block in src/bin/psql/common.c, maybe that's what
> you're looking for.

meaning that if I type in "CLUSTER VERBOSE" in psql, I get syntax error.

> Or did you mean something else? How doesn't it "pick it up"?

well, probably patch's worth 1000 words. Hope that attaching such
small file isn't a crime in the neck'o'woods.

--
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
gj@pointblue.com.pl

Attachment

Re: where to add/change commands

From
NikhilS
Date:
Hi,

psql? There's some code to detect commands that can't be run in a
transaction block in src/bin/psql/common.c, maybe that's what you're
looking for.

Or did you mean something else? How doesn't it "pick it up"?

I think he probably meant that he was getting a syntax error, even after making all the changes.

Grzegorz, I would have suggested to make an entry for VERBOSE in parser/keywords.c, but it already seems to contain an entry for VERBOSE. I hope you are using the "opt_verbose" rule in your gram.y in the CLUSTER [VERBOSE] case.

Regards,
Nikhils

--
EnterpriseDB               http://www.enterprisedb.com

Date:
On Mar 15, 2007, at 11:46 AM, NikhilS wrote:

> Grzegorz, I would have suggested to make an entry for VERBOSE in
> parser/keywords.c, but it already seems to contain an entry for
> VERBOSE. I hope you are using the "opt_verbose" rule in your gram.y
> in the CLUSTER [VERBOSE] case.

sure I am. My 'bison' skills are not very high, but I was trying to
mimic 'VACUUM' syntax there. see the patch.

--
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
gj@pointblue.com.pl

C/C++ freelance to hire

Re: where to add/change commands

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
> meaning that if I type in "CLUSTER VERBOSE" in psql, I get syntax
> error.

Your patch works perfectly fine for me.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Date:
On Mar 15, 2007, at 12:26 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Your patch works perfectly fine for me.

Ok, I'll try make distclean/make -j2/sudo make install, reboot and
will see.
I was kinda beliving that remaking whole thing from scratch over and
over again wouldn't be a necessity here.
thanks.

--
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz

C/C++ freelance for hire

Re: where to add/change commands

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Grzegorz Jaskiewicz" <gj@pointblue.com.pl> writes:

> On Mar 15, 2007, at 12:26 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>

>> Your patch works perfectly fine for me.
>
> Ok, I'll try make distclean/make -j2/sudo make install, reboot and will see.
> I was kinda beliving that remaking whole thing from scratch over and over again
> wouldn't be a necessity here.
> thanks.

You may want to configure with --enable-depend. It shouldn't be necessary to
get make to notice changes to gram.y but perhaps your problem lies elsewhere.

Re: where to add/change commands

From
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
Date:
ok, it works okay.
Thanks.

I am really serious about adding this patch. I would like it to not
only show which tables/indices are being clustered, but also some
sort of progress information (print procentage of job being done, etc).

Any hints, as on what might be useful for others. Perhaps there's a
slim chance I could offer it to mainline?

--
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz

C/C++ freelance for hire