Doc bug

From
"Gurjeet Singh"
Date:
The documentation at <a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/config-setting.html">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/config-setting.html</a>
clearlydoesn't work. Is it the documentation that needs fix or is it the code?<br /><br />I tried the following too:<br
/>gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com<br/>singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com

Re: Doc bug

From
"Gurjeet Singh"
Date:
Hi Jim,

    The code has been fixed by Bruce in response to my bug#2851 (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-12/msg00191.php).

BTW, I don't know how to make sure that the effect of a doc patch looks fine in a browser. I mean, how to view the doc/src/sgml/*.sgml in a browser, nicely formatted as we see on our website!

I wish PostgreSQL community a very Happy New Year... Go ahead and give closed-source a tough time :)

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com

On 12/31/06, Jim C. Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
Dunno if you did this or not, I'd suggest sending a patch to -docs.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 04:24:39PM +0530, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> The documentation at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/config-setting.html states
> that:
>
> Boolean values may be written as ON, OFF, TRUE, FALSE, YES, NO, 1, 0 (all
> case-insensitive) or any unambiguous prefix of these.
>
> But the following doesn't work:
>
> postgres=# set enable_seqscan = of;
> ERROR:  parameter "enable_seqscan" requires a Boolean value
> postgres=#
>
> 'of' is an unambiguous prefix of OFF, but it clearly doesn't work. Is it the
> documentation that needs fix or is it the code?
>
> I tried the following too:
>
> set enable_seqscan = "of"; -- doesn't work
> set enable_seqscan = "off"; -- works
>
> BTW, I tried TR, TRU, FA, FAL, FALS, YE. They all work fine.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
> singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com

--
Jim Nasby                                            jim@nasby.net
EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)

Re: Doc bug

From
"Andrew Dunstan"
Date:
Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
>     The code has been fixed by Bruce in response to my bug#2851 (
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-12/msg00191.php).
>
> BTW, I don't know how to make sure that the effect of a doc patch looks
> fine
> in a browser. I mean, how to view the doc/src/sgml/*.sgml in a browser,
> nicely formatted as we see on our website!

Docs for CVS HEAD can aleways be seen here:

http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/

cheers

andrew

Re: Doc bug

From
"Gurjeet Singh"
Date:
On 12/31/06, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> BTW, I don't know how to make sure that the effect of a doc patch looks
> fine
> in a browser. I mean, how to view the doc/src/sgml/*.sgml in a browser,
> nicely formatted as we see on our website!

Docs for CVS HEAD can aleways be seen here:

http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/

I meant, before submitting the patch, or while even working on it, I would like to see it's rendering on my local machine, from the sources. One would like to be sure that he used the correct (or more appropriate) tags while writing the patch.

I see that there's a stylesheet.css file in doc/src/sgml/, but I don't think the browser (firefox) uses it to render the .sgml files (or I don't know how to make it do that!)

Moreover, can the above mentioned link be moved to the official website?

Best regards,

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com

Re: Doc bug

From
Jeremy Drake
Date:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Gurjeet Singh wrote:

> On 12/31/06, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> >

> > Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> > > BTW, I don't know how to make sure that the effect of a doc patch looks
> > > fine
> > > in a browser. I mean, how to view the doc/src/sgml/*.sgml in a browser,
> > > nicely formatted as we see on our website!
> > >

> > Docs for CVS HEAD can aleways be seen here:
> >
> > http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/
>

> I meant, before submitting the patch, or while even working on it, I would
> like to see it's rendering on my local machine, from the sources. One would
> like to be sure that he used the correct (or more appropriate) tags while
> writing the patch.

cd pgsql/doc/src/sgml
make html

See
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/docguide-build.html

Re: Doc bug

From
"Gurjeet Singh"
Date:
On 12/31/06, Jeremy Drake <pgsql@jdrake.com> wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Gurjeet Singh wrote:

> On 12/31/06, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> >

> > Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> > > BTW, I don't know how to make sure that the effect of a doc patch looks
> > > fine
> > > in a browser. I mean, how to view the doc/src/sgml/*.sgml in a browser,
> > > nicely formatted as we see on our website!
> > >

> > Docs for CVS HEAD can aleways be seen here:
> >
> > http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/
>

> I meant, before submitting the patch, or while even working on it, I would
> like to see it's rendering on my local machine, from the sources. One would
> like to be sure that he used the correct (or more appropriate) tags while
> writing the patch.

cd pgsql/doc/src/sgml
make html

See
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/docguide-build.html

This, obviously, isn't working on MinGW for me. I'll try Linux (Ubuntu).

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com

Re: Doc bug

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Gurjeet Singh wrote:
>     cd pgsql/doc/src/sgml
>     make html
>
>     See
>     http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/docguide-build.html
>     <http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/docguide-build.html>
>

> This, obviously, isn't working on MinGW for me. I'll try Linux (Ubuntu).

If you're doing it on windows, see

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/mha/index.php?/archives/94-Building-the-PostgreSQL-docs-on-Windows.html#extended

for some hints.

//Magnus