Patch attribution and non-ASCII characters

Date:
I see a number of non-ASCII characters in the names of patch submitters
in the CVS logs.  Does anyone know a good way to have all these get the
same encoding in the CVS commit logs?  I am thinking that is impossible
because we can't attach the email encoding to the commit message.

Re: Patch attribution and non-ASCII characters

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I see a number of non-ASCII characters in the names of patch submitters
> in the CVS logs.  Does anyone know a good way to have all these get the
> same encoding in the CVS commit logs?  I am thinking that is impossible
> because we can't attach the email encoding to the commit message.

Is this a problem now, or are you looking to solve it for future
releases?

I think the best you could do is post the non-ASCII names here, and have
affected people post back their names in HTML escaping or something that
suits the SGML docs.

For example my name is
Álvaro Herrera

Or, in Latin-1,
Álvaro Herrera

Most commit messages contain the ASCII version of my name, thus you
wouldn't notice the problem anyway.  The COPY (select) commit message,
AFAIR, also has Zoltán's name in ASCII form (Zoltan).

Re: Patch attribution and non-ASCII characters

Date:
> I think the best you could do is post the non-ASCII names here, and have
> affected people post back their names in HTML escaping or something that
> suits the SGML docs.

That's probably the best way to close the loop.  I know that when I'm
committing such patches, I tend to copy-n-paste from a mail window to a
shell window, and I'd not venture to guarantee anything about what
encoding the text is in anyway.  Sometimes it looks reasonable in the
shell window and sometimes it doesn't ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Patch attribution and non-ASCII characters

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I see a number of non-ASCII characters in the names of patch submitters
> > in the CVS logs.  Does anyone know a good way to have all these get the
> > same encoding in the CVS commit logs?  I am thinking that is impossible
> > because we can't attach the email encoding to the commit message.
>
> Is this a problem now, or are you looking to solve it for future
> releases?

Either.  ;-)

> I think the best you could do is post the non-ASCII names here, and have
> affected people post back their names in HTML escaping or something that
> suits the SGML docs.
>
> For example my name is
> Álvaro Herrera
>
> Or, in Latin-1,
> ?lvaro Herrera
>
> Most commit messages contain the ASCII version of my name, thus you
> wouldn't notice the problem anyway.  The COPY (select) commit message,
> AFAIR, also has Zolt?n's name in ASCII form (Zoltan).

Yep. I will grab the unknown names and ask the group to research HTML
versions.