Documenting Replication Solutions

From
Markus Schiltknecht
Date:
Hi,

at the code sprint, we agreed to put together some documentation about
current and upcoming replication solutions for PostgreSQL. Is somebody
already working on that?

For Postgres-R, you can find some information on www.postgres-r.org. And
I've just opened a project on pgFoundry. This gives Postgres-R it's own
mailing list: http://lists.pgfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/postgres-r-general

I know there is already a Postgres-R project on Gborg. But since
everybody is moving to pgFoundry, I'd like to move materials from there
and join that with the new website or put it to the pgFoundry project.
What about that mailing-list there. Could the archive be 'added' to the
new list on pgFoundry? Any opinions or wishes from the Gborg project owners?

Regards

Markus

Re: Documenting Replication Solutions

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Quoth Markus Schiltknecht <markus@bluegap.ch>:
> at the code sprint, we agreed to put together some documentation about
> current and upcoming replication solutions for PostgreSQL. Is somebody
> already working on that?

I don't recall that anyone expressly agreed to do so; I'll see if I
can, this week...
--
"cbbrowne","@","linuxfinances.info"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html

Re: Documenting Replication Solutions

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 22 July 2006 18:16, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Quoth Markus Schiltknecht <markus@bluegap.ch>:
> > at the code sprint, we agreed to put together some documentation about
> > current and upcoming replication solutions for PostgreSQL. Is somebody
> > already working on that?
>
> I don't recall that anyone expressly agreed to do so; I'll see if I
> can, this week...

A META-FAQ Style document on techdocs would be nice... we could then link to
that from the pg faq.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Documenting Replication Solutions

From
Markus Schiltknecht
Date:
Hello Christopher,

I remember Bruce pushing towards a 'PostgreSQL Development
Group'-statement about replication solutions for PostgreSQL. AFAIK,
there is a lot of uncertainty about replication solutions and I think it
would be a good thing to give people some guidance. I think in a FAQ or
such we should cover these type of questions:

- Can I configure a standby server for hot-failover?

- Can I do load-balancing?

- What kind of replication is possible with PostgreSQL, what do the
different solutions implement?

- What's the development status of Slony-II?, of Postgres-R, PgCluster,
etc...

- What's the difference between Slony-II and Postgres-R?

Where on the website do we put such a FAQ? Or should some of these
questions be part of the main FAQ?

Regards

Markus