Unable to initdb using HEAD on Windows XP

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
I just compiled a fresh copy from CVS head. I then tried to do an initdb
as user 'postgres' (non admin user on my system). I get the following error:
 C:\Tada\Workspace>initdb -D data The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres". This user must also own the server process.
 The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United
States.1252.

 creating directory data ... ok creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create directory
"data/global": Permission denied initdb: removing data directory "data" could not open directory "data": No such file
ordirectory initdb: failed to remove data directory

AFAICS, no data directory is ever created so the 'creating directory
data ... ok' message is probably incorrect. I even tried to change the
permissions on the parent directory so that user 'postgres' has full
control. It doesn't help. I didn't think it would since I am able to
create a database in this directory if I'm using version 8.1.4.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: Unable to initdb using HEAD on Windows XP

From
Thomas Hallgren
Some more info. If I manually create the data directory first, the output is different:
  C:\Tada\Workspace>mkdir data
  C:\Tada\Workspace>initdb -D data  The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".  This
usermust also own the server process.

  The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United States.1252.

  fixing permissions on existing directory data ... ok  creating subdirectories ... ok  selecting default
max_connections... 100  selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... 4000/200000  creating configuration files
...ok  creating template1 database in data/base/1 ... ok  initializing pg_authid ... child process was terminated by
signal5  initdb: removing contents of data directory "data"

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> I just compiled a fresh copy from CVS head. I then tried to do an initdb
> as user 'postgres' (non admin user on my system). I get the following
> error:
>
>  C:\Tada\Workspace>initdb -D data
>  The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
>  This user must also own the server process.
>
>  The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United
> States.1252.
>

>  creating directory data ... ok
>  creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create directory
> "data/global": Permission denied
>  initdb: removing data directory "data"
>  could not open directory "data": No such file or directory
>  initdb: failed to remove data directory
>
> AFAICS, no data directory is ever created so the 'creating directory
> data ... ok' message is probably incorrect. I even tried to change the
> permissions on the parent directory so that user 'postgres' has full
> control. It doesn't help. I didn't think it would since I am able to
> create a database in this directory if I'm using version 8.1.4.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Hallgren

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Unable to initdb using HEAD on Windows XP

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Never mind. I scrubbed my folders and obtained a new fresh copy from CVS. Now it works.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren