Looks like there more unprotable code in the recent changes to pgbench
:-(

Regards, Dave.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 10:08:11AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Looks like there more unprotable code in the recent changes to pgbench
> :-(

Here, the culprits are tfind() and tsearch().  These apparently aren't
"portable enough", but they seem to exist on all other platforms.  Maybe
we could come up with a replacement on Windows?  Are there simple
btree/hash table functions on Windows, with a similar API?

--
Alvaro Herrera                         Architect, http://www.EnterpriseDB.com
La web junta la gente porque no importa que clase de mutante sexual seas,

Re: FW: PGBuildfarm member snake Branch HEAD Status changed

From
Andrew Dunstan

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 10:08:11AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>

>>Looks like there more unprotable code in the recent changes to pgbench
>>:-(
>>

>Here, the culprits are tfind() and tsearch().  These apparently aren't
>"portable enough", but they seem to exist on all other platforms.  Maybe
>we could come up with a replacement on Windows?  Are there simple
>btree/hash table functions on Windows, with a similar API?

Not that I can see, looking here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vclib/html/vcrefRunTimeLibraryReference.asp

The library found at
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=209006 seems to
have what is needed, but I really don't think we can impose that extra
requirement at this stage of the release cycle, do you? ISTM either we
need to revert this or change it to use an API that is already known to
be supported.

cheers

andrew

Re: FW: PGBuildfarm member snake Branch HEAD Status changed

Date:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Here, the culprits are tfind() and tsearch().  These apparently aren't
>> "portable enough", but they seem to exist on all other platforms.  Maybe
>> we could come up with a replacement on Windows?  Are there simple
>> btree/hash table functions on Windows, with a similar API?

> The library found at
> http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=209006 seems to
> have what is needed, but I really don't think we can impose that extra
> requirement at this stage of the release cycle, do you? ISTM either we
> need to revert this or change it to use an API that is already known to
> be supported.

Yeah, I was wondering about those functions too when I looked at the
patch.  ISTM that this is overkill anyway; I cannot imagine anyone
writing a pgbench script with more than a few variables.  So I'd
recommend ripping out the <search.h> stuff altogether and just making a
linear search through a simple array of variables.
        regards, tom lane