ALTER INDEX OWNER TO

From
ohp@pyrenet.fr
Date:
Hi all,

It seems that ALTER INDEX foo OWNER TO bar; doesn't work anymore.
The error is foo is not a table or a view.

That's not a problem per se, but pg_dump continues to issue those
commands.

This is since a few weeks on CVS.

Regards

--
Olivier PRENANT                    Tel: +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
15, Chemin des Monges                +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)

Re: ALTER INDEX OWNER TO

Date:
ohp@pyrenet.fr writes:
> It seems that ALTER INDEX foo OWNER TO bar; doesn't work anymore.
> The error is foo is not a table or a view.

Yeah, I suppressed that alternative a few weeks ago, thinking that it
was not sensible since we don't really support having indexes owned
by anyone except the owner of the parent table.  Not sure what to do
about the fact that pg_dump has been emitting it though. Maybe reduce
the error to a warning, and make it a no-op?
        regards, tom lane

Re: ALTER INDEX OWNER TO

From
ohp@pyrenet.fr
Date:
pg_dump is STILL emiting alter index.
ISTM we shou make it a warning AND remove it from pg_dump
Regards

--
Olivier PRENANT                    Tel: +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
15, Chemin des Monges                +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)
31190 AUTERIVE                       +33-6-07-63-80-64 (GSM)
FRANCE                          Email: ohp@pyrenet.fr
Make your life a dream, make your dream a reality. (St Exupery)

Re: ALTER INDEX OWNER TO

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Yeah, I suppressed that alternative a few weeks ago, thinking that it
> was not sensible since we don't really support having indexes owned
> by anyone except the owner of the parent table.  Not sure what to do
> about the fact that pg_dump has been emitting it though. Maybe reduce
> the error to a warning, and make it a no-op?

Hmmm I so don't remember having pg_dump issue that - but I guess I must
have...

Chris

Re: ALTER INDEX OWNER TO

Date:
Where are we on this?

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Yeah, I suppressed that alternative a few weeks ago, thinking that it
> > was not sensible since we don't really support having indexes owned
> > by anyone except the owner of the parent table.  Not sure what to do
> > about the fact that pg_dump has been emitting it though. Maybe reduce
> > the error to a warning, and make it a no-op?
>
> Hmmm I so don't remember having pg_dump issue that - but I guess I must
> have...
>
> Chris

Pennsylvania19073