thw rewriter and default values, again

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
Hi, here we go again...

As you know there is a problem executing something like:

create table foo (
    col1 serial,
    col2 int
);

create view v_foo as select * from foo;

create rule ins_rule as on insert to v_foo do instead
insert into foo(col1, col2) values (new.col1, new.col2);

insert into v_foo(col2) values (1);

this give an error like:
psql:f:/views.sql:13: ERROR:  null value in column "col1" violates
not-null constraint

----

There is a workaround about this creating default values to the view.
Now, for updateable views we need this happen automatically, attached
there is a solution to this.
The only problem i have found until now is that
update v_foo set col1 = DEFAULT; execute nextval twice per every record.
so there will be a gasp between numbers, but AFAIK nextval has no guarantee
of returning sequential numbers.

Any comments on this?

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

Attachment

Re: thw rewriter and default values, again

From
Greg Stark
Date:
Jaime Casanova <systemguards@gmail.com> writes:

> The only problem i have found until now is that
> update v_foo set col1 = DEFAULT; execute nextval twice per every record.
> so there will be a gasp between numbers, but AFAIK nextval has no guarantee
> of returning sequential numbers.

While there's no guarantee that strong there's still an expected behaviour.
sequences generate sequential numbers and only skip in specific cases.

I think this would still surprise and bother most users.

--
greg

Re: thw rewriter and default values, again

Date:
Jaime Casanova <systemguards@gmail.com> writes:
> create rule ins_rule as on insert to v_foo do instead
> insert into foo(col1, col2) values (new.col1, new.col2);

> insert into v_foo(col2) values (1);

> this give an error like:
> psql:f:/views.sql:13: ERROR:  null value in column "col1" violates
> not-null constraint

That's not a bug, and "fixing" it isn't acceptable.

The correct solution to the problem you are looking at is
to attach default expressions to the view itself.  Adding

alter table v_foo alter col1 set default nextval('public.foo_col1_seq');

to your example makes it work as you wish.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> Jaime Casanova <systemguards@gmail.com> writes:
> > create rule ins_rule as on insert to v_foo do instead
> > insert into foo(col1, col2) values (new.col1, new.col2);
>
> > insert into v_foo(col2) values (1);
>
> > this give an error like:
> > psql:f:/views.sql:13: ERROR:  null value in column "col1" violates
> > not-null constraint
>
> That's not a bug, and "fixing" it isn't acceptable.
>
> The correct solution to the problem you are looking at is
> to attach default expressions to the view itself.  Adding
>
> alter table v_foo alter col1 set default nextval('public.foo_col1_seq');
>
> to your example makes it work as you wish.

I know you're right, but -when dealing with updateable views- doing
that implies to add a lot of time altering views when base table
change, and of course we maybe don't want all views get that values.

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

Date:
On 28 May 2005 10:25:48 -0400, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:

> Jaime Casanova <systemguards@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The only problem i have found until now is that
> > update v_foo set col1 = DEFAULT; execute nextval twice per every record.
> > so there will be a gasp between numbers, but AFAIK nextval has no
> guarantee
> > of returning sequential numbers.
>
> While there's no guarantee that strong there's still an expected behaviour.
> sequences generate sequential numbers and only skip in specific cases.
>
> I think this would still surprise and bother most users.

Certainly, i will look deeper in it.

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: thw rewriter and default values, again

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> I know you're right, but -when dealing with updateable views- doing
> that implies to add a lot of time altering views when base table
> change, and of course we maybe don't want all views get that values.

Sorry for the late posting on this thread.

Might there be any way to have something like ...SET DEFAULT
pg_same_as('public','foo','col1').

Hmm - you'd need pg_same_as_int/text/etc. depending on the return-type -
still not ideal.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Date:
On 6/6/05, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
> Jaime Casanova wrote:
> > I know you're right, but -when dealing with updateable views- doing
> > that implies to add a lot of time altering views when base table
> > change, and of course we maybe don't want all views get that values.
>
> Sorry for the late posting on this thread.
>
> Might there be any way to have something like ...SET DEFAULT
> pg_same_as('public','foo','col1').
>
> Hmm - you'd need pg_same_as_int/text/etc. depending on the return-type -
> still not ideal.

Actually, i try to do that but i need the function to be polymorphic
and because polymorphic functions needs to receive at least one
polymorphic argument that teach about the return type of the function
i can't go ahead with this idea.

About the code i talk earler in this thread i solve the problem with
the update to serial columns.

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova