rendezvous

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Should we not change it to bonjour as that is the actual name for it?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting

Re: rendezvous

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 6 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Should we not change it to bonjour as that is the actual name for it?

huh?

----

Re: rendezvous

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Should we not change it to bonjour as that is the actual name for it?

Rendezvous is the Apple network discovery protocol yes? That was renamed
Bonjour by apple due to a Trademark problem.

Date:
On Fri, 6 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> Should we not change it to bonjour as that is the actual name for it?
>
> Rendezvous is the Apple network discovery protocol yes? That was renamed
> Bonjour by apple due to a Trademark problem.

Ahhhhh, context ... thank you :)

----

Re: rendezvous

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:30:10PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >On Fri, 6 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> >>Should we not change it to bonjour as that is the actual name for it?
>
> Rendezvous is the Apple network discovery protocol yes? That was renamed
> Bonjour by apple due to a Trademark problem.

Maybe we should name it Zeroconf.

"Por suerte hoy explotó el califont porque si no me habría muertode aburrido"  (Papelucho)

Re: rendezvous

From
Jochem van Dieten
Date:
On 5/7/05, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:30:10PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>> Rendezvous is the Apple network discovery protocol yes? That was renamed
>> Bonjour by apple due to a Trademark problem.
>
> Maybe we should name it Zeroconf.

Is the implemented protocol IETF ZeroConf or Apple Rendezvous? IIRC
there are differences in the requirements for TTLs and I have had some
experiences with Apple reserving local.arpa while the rest of the
world doesn't.

Jochem

"apoc9009@yahoo.de"
Date:
unsubscribe

Re: rendezvous

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 10:43:46AM +0200, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> On 5/7/05, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:30:10PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>
> >> Rendezvous is the Apple network discovery protocol yes? That was renamed
> >> Bonjour by apple due to a Trademark problem.
> >
> > Maybe we should name it Zeroconf.
>
> Is the implemented protocol IETF ZeroConf or Apple Rendezvous? IIRC
> there are differences in the requirements for TTLs and I have had some
> experiences with Apple reserving local.arpa while the rest of the
> world doesn't.

Huh, not sure.  The only thing the code does is check for
DNSServiceDiscovery.h and call a function therein.  No implementation
details are taken care of in the Postgres source.

My bet is that it only works on Mac OS X.  If there was interest I'm
sure we could make it work using libhowl but I don't see anybody asking ...

"No necesitamos banderasNo reconocemos fronteras"                  (Jorge González)

Re: rendezvous

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Huh, not sure.  The only thing the code does is check for
> DNSServiceDiscovery.h and call a function therein.  No implementation
> details are taken care of in the Postgres source.
>
> My bet is that it only works on Mac OS X.  If there was interest I'm
> sure we could make it work using libhowl but I don't see anybody asking ...

It works on Windows too if you download it from apple.

Re: rendezvous

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Should we not change it to bonjour as that is the actual name for it?

Done, in CVS.

Pennsylvania19073