Re: rendezvous - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: rendezvous
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 10:43:46AM +0200, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> On 5/7/05, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:30:10PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>
> >> Rendezvous is the Apple network discovery protocol yes? That was renamed
> >> Bonjour by apple due to a Trademark problem.
> >
> > Maybe we should name it Zeroconf.
>
> Is the implemented protocol IETF ZeroConf or Apple Rendezvous? IIRC
> there are differences in the requirements for TTLs and I have had some
> experiences with Apple reserving local.arpa while the rest of the
> world doesn't.

Huh, not sure.  The only thing the code does is check for
DNSServiceDiscovery.h and call a function therein.  No implementation
details are taken care of in the Postgres source.

My bet is that it only works on Mac OS X.  If there was interest I'm
sure we could make it work using libhowl but I don't see anybody asking ...

"No necesitamos banderasNo reconocemos fronteras"                  (Jorge González)