static genericcostestimate

From
"Ramy M. Hassan"
Date:
Hi,
The genericcostestimate function is currently static. This limits the
development of new access methods as loadable modules without touching
pgsql sources. Currently I have to include a copy of the function in the
module, which is obviously too bad.
Is there any reason to keep this function static ?

Thanks

Re: static genericcostestimate

Date:
"Ramy M. Hassan" <rhassan@cs.purdue.edu> writes:
> The genericcostestimate function is currently static. This limits the
> development of new access methods as loadable modules without touching
> pgsql sources. Currently I have to include a copy of the function in the
> module, which is obviously too bad.
> Is there any reason to keep this function static ?

Is it really of much use for your access method?  It's such a crude hack
that I didn't want to encourage people to use it ... it is really just a
stopgap until someone gets around to thinking harder about the actual
access behavior of the existing index AMs.

BTW, what are you working on?  I had no idea that anyone was
experimenting with new index methods.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Ramy M. Hassan" <rhassan@cs.purdue.edu> writes:
>

>>The genericcostestimate function is currently static. This limits the
>>development of new access methods as loadable modules without touching
>>pgsql sources. Currently I have to include a copy of the function in the
>>module, which is obviously too bad.
>>Is there any reason to keep this function static ?
>>

>Is it really of much use for your access method?  It's such a crude hack
>that I didn't want to encourage people to use it ... it is really just a
>stopgap until someone gets around to thinking harder about the actual
>access behavior of the existing index AMs.
>
>BTW, what are you working on?  I had no idea that anyone was
>experimenting with new index methods.

I am currently working on porting SP-GiST to postgresql.
SP-GiST is an adaptation of GiST to support space partitioning trees (
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/aref/dbsystems_files/SP-GiST/ )
The current standalone SP-GiST implementation is based on libgist v1.0
from berkeley ( http://gist.cs.berkeley.edu/libgistv1/ )
The core SP-GiST is being implemented as module to be loaded before any
spgist extention module.
I am expecting the first alpha release early of May.
Currently, there is no effort done in cost estimation for SP-GiST, so
the genericcostestimate seams to be ok for now.

>            regards, tom lane

Re: static genericcostestimate

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 07:51:23PM +0200, Ramy M. Hassan wrote:

Hey Ramy,

> I am currently working on porting SP-GiST to postgresql.
> SP-GiST is an adaptation of GiST to support space partitioning trees (
> http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/aref/dbsystems_files/SP-GiST/ )
> The current standalone SP-GiST implementation is based on libgist v1.0
> from berkeley ( http://gist.cs.berkeley.edu/libgistv1/ )
> The core SP-GiST is being implemented as module to be loaded before any
> spgist extention module.
> I am expecting the first alpha release early of May.

What happened to this project?  Is it still alive?  Did you release
anything?

"Et put se mouve" (Galileo Galilei)