Interesting NetBSD annual report

Date:
I read the following report from the NetBSD group:

    http://kerneltrap.org/node/4680

It has some interesting points.  First, they analyze how the fit with
other open source database offerings.  Their position is somewhat
similar to ours.

Their development style is also similar to ours.

They complain about release delays and the challenge of organizing
volunteers, just like us.

Second, they have a much more rigid hierarchy structure.  There are good
and bad things about that and you can see it in the report.

Third, they admit they don't have the get*ent_r() functions we need for
thread-safety on that platform.

Re: Interesting NetBSD annual report

From
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Date:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:00:48 -0500 (EST)
Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> I read the following report from the NetBSD group:
>
>     http://kerneltrap.org/node/4680
>
> It has some interesting points.  First, they analyze how the fit with
> other open source database offerings.  Their position is somewhat
> similar to ours.
>
> Their development style is also similar to ours.

Not too surprising since both projects came out of Berkeley.

> They complain about release delays and the challenge of organizing
> volunteers, just like us.

Is there any volunteer organization that's any different?  :-)

> Second, they have a much more rigid hierarchy structure.  There are
> good and bad things about that and you can see it in the report.

It could be that the people really do make a difference but, as a NetBSD
developer, I never really feel that the hierarchy gets in the way of
doing things.  I think that in any organization the people get stuff
done regardless of what structure is in place.  It depends more on the
people than the structure.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves

Re: Interesting NetBSD annual report

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:42:51AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > They complain about release delays and the challenge of organizing
> > volunteers, just like us.
>
> Is there any volunteer organization that's any different?  :-)

FreeBSD doesn't seem to suffer much from either issue. Then again, they
also have something like 2000 committers, probably about 100 of which
are very active.

Re: Interesting NetBSD annual report

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:42:51AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>>> They complain about release delays and the challenge of organizing
>>> volunteers, just like us.
>>
>> Is there any volunteer organization that's any different?  :-)
>
> FreeBSD doesn't seem to suffer much from either issue. Then again, they
> also have something like 2000 committers, probably about 100 of which
> are very active.

FreeBSD suffers from *alot* of other things because of havin gtoo many
committers :(  As hard-core FreeBSD as I've been over the years, things
haven't been the same since Jordan left ... to the point that I'm already
planning on moving over to DragonFlyBSD (fork project of FreeBSD ...
same base code as what we're currently using [ie. FreeBSD 4.x] but
with *alot* of fixes for some pretty major problems that still exist
in the current version of FreeBSD) over the next few months ... they've
already re-written the VFS system, which we tax heavily, but haven't
finished the rewrite of the unionfs code (which is how we tax VFS) which
is in the works ...

Love the OS ... not so haappy with the direction its taken :(

----

Date:
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 01:27:09PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >>Is there any volunteer organization that's any different?  :-)
> >
> >FreeBSD doesn't seem to suffer much from either issue. Then again, they
> >also have something like 2000 committers, probably about 100 of which
> >are very active.
>
> FreeBSD suffers from *alot* of other things because of havin gtoo many
> committers :(  As hard-core FreeBSD as I've been over the years, things
> haven't been the same since Jordan left ... to the point that I'm already
> planning on moving over to DragonFlyBSD (fork project of FreeBSD ...
> same base code as what we're currently using [ie. FreeBSD 4.x] but
> with *alot* of fixes for some pretty major problems that still exist
> in the current version of FreeBSD) over the next few months ... they've
> already re-written the VFS system, which we tax heavily, but haven't
> finished the rewrite of the unionfs code (which is how we tax VFS) which
> is in the works ...
>
> Love the OS ... not so haappy with the direction its taken :(

Hrm, guess it's been too long since I've been subscribed to -current. I
know they're still working bugs out of 5.x, but I attributed that to the
major changes made. One of the big reasons I've been such a fan of FBSD
is the technical direction was set by a group of very competent people,
instead of just one person.

Date:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> Hrm, guess it's been too long since I've been subscribed to -current. I
> know they're still working bugs out of 5.x, but I attributed that to the
> major changes made. One of the big reasons I've been such a fan of FBSD
> is the technical direction was set by a group of very competent people,
> instead of just one person.

The problem right now is that there are too many 'very competent people'

----