Re: [HACKERS] Interesting NetBSD annual report - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Interesting NetBSD annual report
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:42:51AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>>> They complain about release delays and the challenge of organizing
>>> volunteers, just like us.
>>
>> Is there any volunteer organization that's any different?  :-)
>
> FreeBSD doesn't seem to suffer much from either issue. Then again, they
> also have something like 2000 committers, probably about 100 of which
> are very active.

FreeBSD suffers from *alot* of other things because of havin gtoo many
committers :(  As hard-core FreeBSD as I've been over the years, things
haven't been the same since Jordan left ... to the point that I'm already
planning on moving over to DragonFlyBSD (fork project of FreeBSD ...
same base code as what we're currently using [ie. FreeBSD 4.x] but
with *alot* of fixes for some pretty major problems that still exist
in the current version of FreeBSD) over the next few months ... they've
already re-written the VFS system, which we tax heavily, but haven't
finished the rewrite of the unionfs code (which is how we tax VFS) which
is in the works ...

Love the OS ... not so haappy with the direction its taken :(

----