Ready for RC3?

Date:
What are the open issues before we can release an RC3?  I don't know of
any except the btree problem OSDL found.  Is that fixed?  Are their
others?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Ready for RC3?

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> What are the open issues before we can release an RC3?  I
> don't know of any except the btree problem OSDL found.  Is
> that fixed?  Are their others?

There is the issue with shared mem on Win2003 that came up the other
day. I don't think it's a general error, but rather something
environment specific. (I've had several reports of ppl with fairly large
databases in production on win2003 that don't have this problem). But
it'd be good to have confirmation on that. If we could give that one a
couple of days, it would be good, but it's not a showstopper.

//Magnus

Re: Ready for RC3?

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> What are the open issues before we can release an RC3?  I don't know
of
> any except the btree problem OSDL found.  Is that fixed?  Are their
> others?

There sill may be an issue with the statistics collector resetting
randomly on a win32 server under heavy load.  I have noticed this on
multiple servers but it hasn't been confirmed by anybody else.

Merlin

Re: Ready for RC3?

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> There is the issue with shared mem on Win2003 that came up the other
> day. I don't think it's a general error, but rather something
> environment specific. (I've had several reports of ppl with fairly
large
> databases in production on win2003 that don't have this problem). But
> it'd be good to have confirmation on that. If we could give that one a
> couple of days, it would be good, but it's not a showstopper.

I just confirmed this an a dual Opteron box running *win2k* on a
realease candidate built less than a week ago.  :-(.  I was trying to
upgrade a production server to retest the statistics collector...I'm
going to try a fresh compile but may have to revert back to beta5.

FATAL:  could not attach to proper memory at fixed address:
shmget(key=5432001, addr=00BB0000) failed: Invalid argument

Re: Ready for RC3?

Date:
> What are the open issues before we can release an RC3?  I don't know of
> any except the btree problem OSDL found.  Is that fixed?

No; we haven't seen a test case yet, or even any details except the
error message.

FWIW, I think it's highly likely that whatever bug Mark has found exists
also in 7.4 --- so it's unclear that it is a reason to hold up RC3.
I think that the error must be coming out of btree page deletion during
VACUUM, and that code hasn't changed materially since 7.4.

Aside from the Windows issues mentioned, I'm somewhat concerned about
the "schemas missing after initdb" problem that the one guy in Hungary
reported.  But considering that no one else has seen it, it might be a
bug in his compiler or some such.  He was running suse 7 on s390, which
is a pretty old release of suse I believe, and likely not one with well
wrung out s390 support.  (I tried to reproduce using current Red Hat on
s390 with same locale, but no dice.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Ready for RC3?

Date:
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> There is the issue with shared mem on Win2003 that came up the other
> day. I don't think it's a general error, but rather something
> environment specific. (I've had several reports of ppl with fairly large
> databases in production on win2003 that don't have this problem).

I doubt that size of database has anything at all to do with this.

Is there a way to determine current end of ordinary memory in Windows?
(Something akin to sbrk(0) on Unix.)  It would be interesting to get the
complainant to try it with some code added that prints out the memory
end address both just before the postmaster creates the shmem segment,
and just before the child process tries to attach to it.  (Maybe these
are the same place in the code, don't recall for sure.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Ready for RC3?

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > What are the open issues before we can release an RC3?  I
> > don't know of any except the btree problem OSDL found.  Is
> > that fixed?  Are their others?
>
> There is the issue with shared mem on Win2003 that came up the other
> day. I don't think it's a general error, but rather something
> environment specific. (I've had several reports of ppl with fairly large
> databases in production on win2003 that don't have this problem). But
> it'd be good to have confirmation on that. If we could give that one a
> couple of days, it would be good, but it's not a showstopper.

Added to open items:
* Win2003 shared memory address conflict

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Ready for RC3?

Date:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > What are the open issues before we can release an RC3?  I don't know
> of
> > any except the btree problem OSDL found.  Is that fixed?  Are their
> > others?
>
> There sill may be an issue with the statistics collector resetting
> randomly on a win32 server under heavy load.  I have noticed this on
> multiple servers but it hasn't been confirmed by anybody else.

Added to open items:
* Random stats processor resets on Win32

Pennsylvania19073