Installation question under MINGW

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
Is it normally necessary to manually export the paths:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin
/usr/local/pgsql/lib

After installation of PostgreSQL under MINGW?

Usually, after:
make install

I can run an application, but PostgreSQL's installation does not seem to
have exported the paths for me.

Re: Installation question under MINGW

From
Andrew Dunstan

Dann Corbit wrote:

>Is it normally necessary to manually export the paths:
>/usr/local/pgsql/bin
>/usr/local/pgsql/lib
>
>After installation of PostgreSQL under MINGW?
>
>Usually, after:
>make install
>
>I can run an application, but PostgreSQL's installation does not seem to
>have exported the paths for me.

We have gone to a lot of trouble to make sure that the app is in fact
relocatable - we don't expect you to run it under MinGW, or even to have
MinGW installed on a machine where you run it (and /usr/local/pgsql/bin
only makes sense within MSys anyway). Just put the whole shebang where
you would normally expect it to be on Windows (e.g. C:\Program
Files\Postgres\8.0 beta2\) and then add the bin and lib dirs under that
to your path. Of course, the installer does lots of work for you.

cheers

andrew

Re: Installation question under MINGW

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
I put the following at the bottom of /msys/1.0/etc/profile:

POSTGRESHOME=/usr/local/pgsql
export MANPATH=$MANPATH:$POSTGRESHOME/man
export PATH=$PATH:$POSTGRESHOME/bin::$POSTGRESHOME/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$POSTGRESHOME/lib
export PGDATA=$POSTGRESHOME/data
export PGLIB=$POSTGRESHOME/lib

And everything is peachy-creamy now.

An echo at the end of the make install might be a nice touch for mingw.
But then again, it might be a hassle for other operating systems.