Resurrecting pg_upgrade

From
"Serguei A. Mokhov"
Date:
Hello,

Just poking around to see if anyone is working on resurrecting the concept
of pg_upgrade after all these years? If not, I think I have nearly ready a
high-level design of how the whole upgrade procedure will work, but I just
need to clear out some ideas and put them together in a more-or-less
coherent way. If nobody's working on the feature, I'd like to tackle it
for 8.1/8.2 after having the design approved by the community.

To clarify some of these, I would like to identify the codepaths, more
generally -- directories with the code that, if changed, forces initdb.
I'd assume these would fall into this category:

src/backend /storage   /smgr   * /access /bootstrap /catalog /commands

If you have time, please make the list above more complete or remove
extraneous items.

Please Cc to me as I am on the digest on most pg lists.

Thank you,

--
Serguei A. Mokhov            |  /~\    The ASCII
Computer Science Department  |  \ / Ribbon Campaign

Re: Resurrecting pg_upgrade

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Serguei A. Mokhov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just poking around to see if anyone is working on resurrecting the concept
> of pg_upgrade after all these years?

You probably want to join the (very recent) thread subject = "version
upgrade" started by Andrew Rawnsley.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: Resurrecting pg_upgrade

From
"Serguei A. Mokhov"
Date:
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Richard Huxton wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:45:56 +0100
>
> Serguei A. Mokhov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just poking around to see if anyone is working on resurrecting the concept
> > of pg_upgrade after all these years?
>
> You probably want to join the (very recent) thread subject = "version
> upgrade" started by Andrew Rawnsley.

Being on the digest mode I just came across it. Reading it doesn't give
much more concrete stuff yet. I think I will finalize my design and post
it then, but the reply to my original post with initdb-forcing code paths
would be helpful anyway to all.

Thanks for the reply though!