contrib/start-scripts/linux on Debian

From
Thomas F.O'Connell
Date:
I'd love to see a comment added to the linux start-script included in
contrib that referenced update-rc.d. It's useful to note because Debian
has different runlevels from Red Hat, and update-rc.d will
intelligently do the same thing as chkconfig for Debian systems.

If it's useful, I could post a patch, but since it's just a comment
that would be sufficient (IMHO), it seemed like a post with request was
also sufficient. :)

Something like:

# Debian users might want to consider using update-rc.d since Debian
has its own set of runlevels.

Thanks!

-tfo

Re: contrib/start-scripts/linux on Debian

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:
> I'd love to see a comment added to the linux start-script included in
> contrib that referenced update-rc.d. It's useful to note because
> Debian has different runlevels from Red Hat, and update-rc.d will
> intelligently do the same thing as chkconfig for Debian systems.

Why not just include the Debian start script instead of asking to user
to fix up the existing one?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: contrib/start-scripts/linux on Debian

From
Thomas F.O'Connell
Date:
Sure. I didn't know there was a Debian start script. Because we
frequently keep up with the latest changes in postgres (which we
regularly use), I always build postgres from source. But that would be
a perfectly acceptable solution.

-tfo

On Aug 27, 2004, at 12:45 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:
>> I'd love to see a comment added to the linux start-script included in
>> contrib that referenced update-rc.d. It's useful to note because
>> Debian has different runlevels from Red Hat, and update-rc.d will
>> intelligently do the same thing as chkconfig for Debian systems.
>
> Why not just include the Debian start script instead of asking to user
> to fix up the existing one?

Re: contrib/start-scripts/linux on Debian

From
Ryan Kirkpatrick
Date:
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:
> > I'd love to see a comment added to the linux start-script included in
> > contrib that referenced update-rc.d. It's useful to note because
> > Debian has different runlevels from Red Hat, and update-rc.d will
> > intelligently do the same thing as chkconfig for Debian systems.
>
> Why not just include the Debian start script instead of asking to user
> to fix up the existing one?

I agree. I wrote that start-script a long time ago when there was not a
very good one at all for Linux. Since then, the package maintainers for
the various distributions have filled that void, making my script
obsolete. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |

Re: contrib/start-scripts/linux on Debian

From
Thomas F.O'Connell
Date:
So what is the thinking of HACKERS?

Does it make sense to include nothing and rather allow each
distribution to support its own?

Or should each distribution known to support postgres be invited to
submit the relevant script for inclusion? And, if so, should this be a
HACKERS [or other appropriate group/individual]-led effort?

I'm persisting just because no conclusive action was recommended, and I
think this is a mildly important usability issue. I don't know whether
altering this piece of contrib is something that would be relevant for
8.0...

-tfo