Call for objections: removing contrib/rserv for 8.0

Date:
There has been some previous discussion of removing the contrib/rserv
module, on the grounds that (1) it's horribly obsolete and unmaintained,
and (2) its presence in the core distribution may mislead users into not
considering the newer better replication solutions available elsewhere
(erserver, slony, etc).

Although plans for a more general cleanup of contrib/ will have to go
back on the shelf for a future release, the core committee is still of
the opinion that it'd be wise to remove rserv in 8.0.  Anyone who
really wants it will always be able to get it from our CVS archives or
old release tarballs, but we really should be pushing them to use
something else.  AFAIK, everything worth salvaging from rserv is
present in the descendant rservimp project on gborg.

Is there anyone out there who'd like to object?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Call for objections: removing contrib/rserv for 8.0

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Tom Lane wrote:

>Although plans for a more general cleanup of contrib/ will have to go
>back on the shelf for a future release, the core committee is still of
>the opinion that it'd be wise to remove rserv in 8.0.  Anyone who
>really wants it will always be able to get it from our CVS archives or
>old release tarballs, but we really should be pushing them to use
>something else.  AFAIK, everything worth salvaging from rserv is
>present in the descendant rservimp project on gborg.
>
>Is there anyone out there who'd like to object?

I vote yes for obvious reasons.

Also we really should probably rip out Tsearch (not Tsearc2) as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Although plans for a more general cleanup of contrib/ will have to go
>> back on the shelf for a future release, the core committee is still of
>> the opinion that it'd be wise to remove rserv in 8.0.

> Also we really should probably rip out Tsearch (not Tsearc2) as well.

Eventually yes, but I'm not too concerned about it misleading people,
since the competition (tsearch2) is right there beside it.  The contrib
tree needs a thorough going over to eliminate deadwood, but during beta
is probably not the time to undertake that project.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Call for objections: removing contrib/rserv for 8.0

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
>>>Although plans for a more general cleanup of contrib/ will have to go
>>>back on the shelf for a future release, the core committee is still of
>>>the opinion that it'd be wise to remove rserv in 8.0.
>

>>Also we really should probably rip out Tsearch (not Tsearc2) as well.
>

> Eventually yes, but I'm not too concerned about it misleading people,
> since the competition (tsearch2) is right there beside it.  The contrib
> tree needs a thorough going over to eliminate deadwood, but during beta
> is probably not the time to undertake that project.

Tsearch is 100% different to tsearch2 in every way, and converting old
tsearch stuff to tsearch2 is non-trivial and involved a LOT of changes -
I suggest leaving it there.  It took a significant amount of work for us
to change over our ~ 20 tsearch indexes to tsearch2 at my work.

Chris