All three packages ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
I never got any feedback on v7.3.7's packaging, so I'm guessing that it
looked okay to everyone, even though it was substantially smaller?  The
only two things that I can think of that might have failed appear to be in
there:

%tar tvzpf postgresql-7.3.7.tar.gz | grep man.tar
-rw-r--r-- pgsql/wheel  146009 Aug 17 16:18 2004 postgresql-7.3.7/doc/man.tar.gz
%tar tvzpf postgresql-7.3.7.tar.gz | grep postgres.tar
-rw-r--r-- pgsql/wheel  956469 Aug 17 16:18 2004 postgresql-7.3.7/doc/postgres.tar.gz

I just got 7.2.5 done now ... I pulled the man.tar.gz file from 7.2.4 and
put a copy of it into ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.2.tar.gz (in case its needed
in the future) ...

Devrim/David ... I'm doing a force sync of the ftp site from developer ->
ftp right now, so all the bundles should be there for you ... the SRPMs
are done for 7.4.5, are you going to do similiar with the 7.2.5 and 7.3.7
distros?

Baring any comments about problem with the packages from anyone, I'll do a
general announce of these releases later on this evening ...

----

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> I never got any feedback on v7.3.7's packaging, so I'm guessing that it
> looked okay to everyone, even though it was substantially smaller?

Devrim pointed out yesterday that it seemed to be missing
contrib/earthdistance; that's not enough to explain the size diff
though.
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Nope, and I even checked jdbc to make sure nothing go screwed up with the
moves post-7.3, and its there also ... and 7.2 *appears* to be okay size
wise ...

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> I never got any feedback on v7.3.7's packaging, so I'm guessing that it
>> looked okay to everyone, even though it was substantially smaller?
>
> Devrim pointed out yesterday that it seemed to be missing
> contrib/earthdistance; that's not enough to explain the size diff
> though.
>
>             regards, tom lane

----

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> I just got 7.2.5 done now ... I pulled the man.tar.gz file from 7.2.4 and
> put a copy of it into ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.2.tar.gz (in case its needed
> in the future) ...

The 7.2.5 tarball is considerably bigger than 7.2.4; this seems to be
because the built .html files are laying about in doc/src/sgml, instead
of having been deleted again ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> I never got any feedback on v7.3.7's packaging, so I'm guessing that it
> looked okay to everyone, even though it was substantially smaller?

I diff'd the 7.3.6 and 7.3.7 tarballs, and got these unexpected
differences:

Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: Makefile
Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: README.earthdistance
Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: earthdistance.c
Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: earthdistance.sql.in
Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: expected
Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: sql

Only in postgresql-7.3.7: postgresql-base-7.3.7.tar.gz.md5
Only in postgresql-7.3.7: postgresql-docs-7.3.7.tar.gz.md5
Only in postgresql-7.3.7: postgresql-opt-7.3.7.tar.gz.md5
Only in postgresql-7.3.7: postgresql-test-7.3.7.tar.gz.md5

The lack of earthdistance needs to be fixed (checked out wrong module
no doubt?)  The extra md5 files aren't that important but maybe could
be cleaned out when you rebuild.

Otherwise it looks good, including the docs.
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
One other little problem with the 7.2.5 package: I see you rebuilt the
flex and bison output files with our current versions of those tools.
I think this is probably okay, but it changes the expected output of
some of the regression tests, eg

*** ./expected/strings.out    Fri Jun  1 13:49:17 2001
--- ./results/strings.out    Thu Aug 19 12:08:22 2004
***************
*** 17,23 **** ' - next line' /* this comment is not allowed here */ ' - third line'     AS "Illegal comment within
continuation";
! ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "'" -- -- test conversions between various string types --
--- 17,23 ---- ' - next line' /* this comment is not allowed here */ ' - third line'     AS "Illegal comment within
continuation";
! ERROR:  parser: syntax error at or near "'" -- -- test conversions between various string types --

A really paranoid person might complain that we have not adequately
tested that the 7.2 code base will work with the updated tools.
I don't think this is a big deal (I did run through the regression
tests to verify this...) but we will need to fix the regression
expected outputs if we want to do it this way.

If you want to proceed, let me know and I'll commit the updated
regression outputs into the 7.2 branch, and then we can re-wrap.
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
The good news is that the 7.4.5 package looks right ;-)
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
I've just done a re-export of teh CVS for 7.3.7 ... this time,
earthdistance appears to be in there properly ... not sure what happened,
but am building a new package for it, and will check sizes again when
finished ...

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> I never got any feedback on v7.3.7's packaging, so I'm guessing that it
>> looked okay to everyone, even though it was substantially smaller?
>
> Devrim pointed out yesterday that it seemed to be missing
> contrib/earthdistance; that's not enough to explain the size diff
> though.
>
>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

----

Re: All three packages ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> One other little problem with the 7.2.5 package: I see you rebuilt the
> flex and bison output files with our current versions of those tools.
> I think this is probably okay, but it changes the expected output of
> some of the regression tests, eg
>
> *** ./expected/strings.out    Fri Jun  1 13:49:17 2001
> --- ./results/strings.out    Thu Aug 19 12:08:22 2004
> ***************
> *** 17,23 ****
>  ' - next line' /* this comment is not allowed here */
>  ' - third line'
>      AS "Illegal comment within continuation";
> ! ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "'"
>  --
>  -- test conversions between various string types
>  --
> --- 17,23 ----
>  ' - next line' /* this comment is not allowed here */
>  ' - third line'
>      AS "Illegal comment within continuation";
> ! ERROR:  parser: syntax error at or near "'"
>  --
>  -- test conversions between various string types
>  --
>
> A really paranoid person might complain that we have not adequately
> tested that the 7.2 code base will work with the updated tools.
> I don't think this is a big deal (I did run through the regression
> tests to verify this...) but we will need to fix the regression
> expected outputs if we want to do it this way.
>
> If you want to proceed, let me know and I'll commit the updated
> regression outputs into the 7.2 branch, and then we can re-wrap.

Let's go with the updated regression outputs ... probably better then
going and reverting down flex/bison just for packaging :(

----

Re: All three packages ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> I never got any feedback on v7.3.7's packaging, so I'm guessing that it
>> looked okay to everyone, even though it was substantially smaller?
>
> I diff'd the 7.3.6 and 7.3.7 tarballs, and got these unexpected
> differences:
>
> Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: Makefile
> Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: README.earthdistance
> Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: earthdistance.c
> Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: earthdistance.sql.in
> Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: expected
> Only in postgresql-7.3.6/contrib/earthdistance: sql
>
> Only in postgresql-7.3.7: postgresql-base-7.3.7.tar.gz.md5
> Only in postgresql-7.3.7: postgresql-docs-7.3.7.tar.gz.md5
> Only in postgresql-7.3.7: postgresql-opt-7.3.7.tar.gz.md5
> Only in postgresql-7.3.7: postgresql-test-7.3.7.tar.gz.md5
>
> The lack of earthdistance needs to be fixed (checked out wrong module
> no doubt?)  The extra md5 files aren't that important but maybe could
> be cleaned out when you rebuild.
>
> Otherwise it looks good, including the docs.

Yup, rebuilding 7.3.7 right now ...

----

Re: All three packages ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
there, this one looks *much* better ... a couple of k smaller still:

%ls -lt postgresql-7.3.7.tar.gz ../v7.3.6/postgresql-7.3.6.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql  11284024 Aug 19 16:27 postgresql-7.3.7.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql  11288430 Mar  4 21:35 ../v7.3.6/postgresql-7.3.6.tar.gz

Date:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> I just got 7.2.5 done now ... I pulled the man.tar.gz file from 7.2.4 and
>> put a copy of it into ~ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.2.tar.gz (in case its needed
>> in the future) ...
>
> The 7.2.5 tarball is considerably bigger than 7.2.4; this seems to be
> because the built .html files are laying about in doc/src/sgml, instead
> of having been deleted again ...

'k, I'm blind ... build scripts for both 7.2 and 7.3 are identical, except
for which man.tar.gz it pulls in, and what directories in ftp they get
written to ...

The section for docs is:

cd doc/src
gmake postgres.tar.gz
mv postgres.tar.gz ..
cp /var/spool/ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.3.tar.gz ../man.tar.gz
cd ../..
gmake split-dist=yes dist
gmake maintainer-clean

And, looking at the various Makefile(s), I'm not finding anything of
significant enough difference insofar as would affect removing the .html
files ...

Anyone see somethign I'm not seeing? :(

----

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Let's go with the updated regression outputs ... probably better then
> going and reverting down flex/bison just for packaging :(

That's what I thought too.  Patches committed --- rewrap whenever you
have a chance.
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> The section for docs is:

> cd doc/src
> gmake postgres.tar.gz
> mv postgres.tar.gz ..
> cp /var/spool/ftp/pub/dev/doc/man-7.3.tar.gz ../man.tar.gz
> cd ../..
> gmake split-dist=yes dist
> gmake maintainer-clean

Shouldn't there be a "gmake clean" in there before popping back out of
the doc/src subdirectory?
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> 'k, I'm blind ... build scripts for both 7.2 and 7.3 are identical, except
> for which man.tar.gz it pulls in, and what directories in ftp they get
> written to ...

Oh, I see the problem.  In doc/Makefile, recent versions pass the "make
distclean" operation down to doc/src, but 7.2's doesn't.

It might be safe to alter the Makefile, but I think I'd just vote for
changing your build script instead, seeing that this is probably the
last packaging of 7.2.

Peter, any idea why it was like that back then?
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> there, this one looks *much* better ... a couple of k smaller still:

The 7.3.7 tarball looks good to me too.  2 down, 1 to go ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> Oh, I see the problem.  In doc/Makefile, recent versions pass the
> "make distclean" operation down to doc/src, but 7.2's doesn't.

> Peter, any idea why it was like that back then?

The doc tree isn't built by default, so I guess no one had ever thought
of cleaning it by default, either.  Of course, as it turns out,
cleaning it by default is a good idea.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: All three packages ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> 'k, I'm blind ... build scripts for both 7.2 and 7.3 are identical, except
>> for which man.tar.gz it pulls in, and what directories in ftp they get
>> written to ...
>
> Oh, I see the problem.  In doc/Makefile, recent versions pass the "make
> distclean" operation down to doc/src, but 7.2's doesn't.

Done, and done ... sizes look alot better now:

svr1# ls -lt postgresql-7.2.5.tar.gz ../v7.2.4/postgresql-7.2.4.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql  9273234 Aug 19 20:57 postgresql-7.2.5.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql  9244055 Jan 29  2003 ../v7.2.4/postgresql-7.2.4.tar.gz

and check the .tar.gz file, and no html files this time ... well, at least none in sgml ... there are some scattered
elsewhere though :)

----

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Done, and done ... sizes look alot better now:

Almost there, but you didn't pick up my regression test patches :-(

Also, I still see these in the top directory of the full tarfile:

-rw-r--r--   1 tgl        users           70 Aug 19 19:47 postgresql-base-7.2.5.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--   1 tgl        users           70 Aug 19 19:47 postgresql-docs-7.2.5.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--   1 tgl        users           69 Aug 19 19:47 postgresql-opt-7.2.5.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--   1 tgl        users           70 Aug 19 19:47 postgresql-test-7.2.5.tar.gz.md5

Not sure how important that is to fix, but it looks a bit messy.
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 19 August 2004 16:04, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Let's go with the updated regression outputs ... probably better then
> > going and reverting down flex/bison just for packaging :(
>
> That's what I thought too.  Patches committed --- rewrap whenever you
> have a chance.

I may misunderstand the problem, but if the change in bison/flex can break the
regression tests, couldn't it also break peoples apps?  That would seem like
a nasty suprise to spring on someone this late in that release cycle...

--
Robert Treat
Build A Better Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

Re: All three packages ...

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
>> If you want to proceed, let me know and I'll commit the updated
>> regression outputs into the 7.2 branch, and then we can re-wrap.
>

> Let's go with the updated regression outputs ... probably better then
> going and reverting down flex/bison just for packaging :(

What about people who are parsing the error messages?

Chris

Re: All three packages ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Done, and done ... sizes look alot better now:
>
> Almost there, but you didn't pick up my regression test patches :-(

Fixed ...

> Also, I still see these in the top directory of the full tarfile:
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 tgl        users           70 Aug 19 19:47 postgresql-base-7.2.5.tar.gz.md5
> -rw-r--r--   1 tgl        users           70 Aug 19 19:47 postgresql-docs-7.2.5.tar.gz.md5
> -rw-r--r--   1 tgl        users           69 Aug 19 19:47 postgresql-opt-7.2.5.tar.gz.md5
> -rw-r--r--   1 tgl        users           70 Aug 19 19:47 postgresql-test-7.2.5.tar.gz.md5

Fixed ...

Now, what about Robert/Chris' comments about the potential changes in
error messages?  Only 3 files were changed as a result of the changes, so
it doesn't look to have that big of an impact ...

----

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
> What about people who are parsing the error messages?

Does anyone really have an application that is looking specifically for
"parse error"?  And is going to do something useful when it finds it
that it would not do with an unrecognized error message?

Even granting that someone does,
(a) they are at risk anyway, if they choose to build from CVS or the
"make maintainer-clean" tree state on a platform with a recent Bison.
(b) they can always build with an old Bison to get the old behavior.

I was disturbed about the point this morning when I first saw it,
but the more I think about it the more I think it's a non-issue.
        regards, tom lane

Re: All three packages ...

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Devrim/David ... I'm doing a force sync of the ftp site from developer ->
> ftp right now, so all the bundles should be there for you ... the SRPMs
> are done for 7.4.5, are you going to do similiar with the 7.2.5 and 7.3.7
> distros?

Are 7.3.7 and 7.2.5 ready? If so, I want to build them tonight. I'm back
from my e-mails now.

Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim~gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr         http://www.tdmsoft.com
http://www.gunduz.org

Re: All three packages ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Almost there, but you didn't pick up my regression test patches :-(

> Fixed ...

Ok, the re-re-wrap looks good AFAICS.

> Now, what about Robert/Chris' comments about the potential changes in
> error messages?  Only 3 files were changed as a result of the changes, so
> it doesn't look to have that big of an impact ...

As I said last night, I don't think there's much reason for worry.
        regards, tom lane