Vacuum Cost Documentation?

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
Related to autovacuum work, I was looking into the new vacuum delay
functionality.  I might be missing something, but I can't find anything
on it in the developer docs.  Is that right?

Also, in the default postgresql.conf there is:

#vacuum_cost_naptime = 50       # 0-1000 milliseconds

however psql reports this value as 0.  I assume this is just
postgresql.conf is just wrong.  Can we fix this so it's consistent?

Thanks,

Matthew O'Connor

Re: Vacuum Cost Documentation?

Date:
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Related to autovacuum work, I was looking into the new vacuum delay
> functionality.  I might be missing something, but I can't find anything
> on it in the developer docs.  Is that right?
>
> Also, in the default postgresql.conf there is:
>
> #vacuum_cost_naptime = 50       # 0-1000 milliseconds
>
> however psql reports this value as 0.  I assume this is just
> postgresql.conf is just wrong.  Can we fix this so it's consistent?

I am not really fond of the term 'naptime'.  Delay?  Sleep?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Vacuum Cost Documentation?

Date:
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> Related to autovacuum work, I was looking into the new vacuum delay
> functionality.  I might be missing something, but I can't find anything
> on it in the developer docs.  Is that right?

You are not missing anything.  I already nagged Jan about this once...

Of course, this is hardly the only seriously-underdocumented thing in
CVS tip ;-).  We'll need to make a major push on docs soon.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Vacuum Cost Documentation?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 02:32:10AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> > Related to autovacuum work, I was looking into the new vacuum
> > delay functionality.  I might be missing something, but I can't
> > find anything on it in the developer docs.  Is that right?
>
> You are not missing anything.  I already nagged Jan about this
> once...
>
> Of course, this is hardly the only seriously-underdocumented thing
> in CVS tip ;-).  We'll need to make a major push on docs soon.

Do tell. :)

Cheers,
D(oc writer ordinaire)
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Vacuum Cost Documentation?

Date:
Updated.  Thanks.

Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Related to autovacuum work, I was looking into the new vacuum delay
> functionality.  I might be missing something, but I can't find anything
> on it in the developer docs.  Is that right?
>
> Also, in the default postgresql.conf there is:
>
> #vacuum_cost_naptime = 50       # 0-1000 milliseconds
>
> however psql reports this value as 0.  I assume this is just
> postgresql.conf is just wrong.  Can we fix this so it's consistent?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew O'Connor

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Vacuum Cost Documentation?

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 8/6/2004 9:04 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Updated.  Thanks.

I thought we want to have the feature activated ... I reversed your
change and brought guc.c in sync instead.

Jan

Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 8/6/2004 9:04 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Updated.  Thanks.
>
> I thought we want to have the feature activated ... I reversed your
> change and brought guc.c in sync instead.

OK.

Pennsylvania19073

Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 8/6/2004 9:04 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Updated.  Thanks.
>
> I thought we want to have the feature activated ... I reversed your
> change and brought guc.c in sync instead.

Uh, if the guy is doing a vacuum at night, does he want the delay?
Seems someone should have to enable the delay by default, or does your
setup recoginize when it is being run on a lightly loaded system?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Vacuum Cost Documentation?

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
>
>>On 8/6/2004 9:04 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>

>>>Updated.  Thanks.
>>
>>I thought we want to have the feature activated ... I reversed your
>>change and brought guc.c in sync instead.
>

> Uh, if the guy is doing a vacuum at night, does he want the delay?
> Seems someone should have to enable the delay by default, or does your
> setup recoginize when it is being run on a lightly loaded system?

TODO:  make vacuum_cost_naptime aware of system load

:-)

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Date:
On 8/6/2004 11:34 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
>> On 8/6/2004 9:04 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>> > Updated.  Thanks.
>>
>> I thought we want to have the feature activated ... I reversed your
>> change and brought guc.c in sync instead.
>
> Uh, if the guy is doing a vacuum at night, does he want the delay?
> Seems someone should have to enable the delay by default, or does your
> setup recoginize when it is being run on a lightly loaded system?

Good that autovacuum didn't make it then, those people would have had a
big surprise :-)

Jan

Re: Vacuum Cost Documentation?

Date:
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> Good that autovacuum didn't make it then, those people would have had a
> big surprise :-)

If autovacuum had made it, would you expect someone to have enabled it
by default?  Without advance discussion?
        regards, tom lane

Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 8/6/2004 11:34 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Jan Wieck wrote:

> >> I thought we want to have the feature activated ... I reversed your
> >> change and brought guc.c in sync instead.
> >
> > Uh, if the guy is doing a vacuum at night, does he want the delay?
> > Seems someone should have to enable the delay by default, or does your
> > setup recoginize when it is being run on a lightly loaded system?
> >

> Those people will instantly realize what is going on and either change
> the delay setting or start running vacuum at daytime too.
>
> What this buys us is that over time we will see less researches and
> articles telling people that you have to bring down a PostgreSQL DB
> frequently for vacuum maintenance because those "testers" run their fair
> comparisions with out of the box configuration settings.

I am not in favor of adding a delay in VACUUM unless people ask for it.
Imagine either night vacuum or a vacuum you run in your application
after you delete and just before you load a table.  Neither want a
vacuum.  I think people who want a delay will think to ask for it while
people who want a quick vacuum will just think that vacuum is slow.

Pennsylvania19073